Author Topic: On this day in July.....tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries  (Read 22982 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: On this day in July.....tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 11:04 BST (UK) »
I haven't had time to look at the links which Bob has posted. If this thread has inspired a new aspect to RC, I am more than pleased. My original hope was that it would become a source of sharing and perhaps even connecting with other people and although this thread is fun, the way it has been run, on a month to month basis, doesn't make it easy for newcomers to trawl through it to see if any of their family BMDs have cropped up. The database is obviously a more efficient way of doing that ( or at least I imagine so). I do hope it doesn't mean that we will lose this way of sharing our special days - at least not until we get to November, when we will have completed a year.

Anyway - here's today.

1759 - John Jaffray was born in Belhelvie - 6 x great uncle.
1769 - Ralph Bland baptised in Cockfield. 4 x great grandfather.
1836 - Benjamin Howe married Thirza French in Brightlingsea - 3 x great grandparents.

And on this day in 1982, my lovely father died at the too early age of fifty-eight. It was the most devastating experience of my life at the time and I miss him still.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 16:26 BST (UK) »
Missed loads of ancestors' anniversaries whilst away, including many of direct ancestors.  However, here are the few for today.

16 July 
Clement Stanton my 9 x g.g.uncle was born in Morton by Bourne, Lincolnshire in 1609

John Gilchrist my 1st cousin 4 times removed was baptised at St Botolph’s Church, Boston, Lincolnshire in 1839

Sarah Cawthorn (nee Broth(w)ell) my 5 x g.grandmother was buried at St Andrew’s Church, Hacconby, Lincolnshire in 1782

Harold Lynch my 2nd cousin once removed was buried in Southern Cemetery, Manchester in 1965

One I did miss was the birthday of our 2nd son Guy, who was born on 7 July 1967.

Lizzie

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 08:31 BST (UK) »
Two births today:

A 2nd cousin 1R, Grace Lilian Ralph, born in 1901 in Hackney;  daughter of Mark and Isabella (nee Read). Grace married Leslie Salter in 1923 and died in 2002 in Hatfield.

A 1st cousin 2R, Edith Winifred Wells, born in 1900 in Crayford, Kent;  daughter of Arthur James and Rosa (nee Rainer). Edith emigrated to Australia in 1925, two years after her mother had died, and married Edwin Arthur George Waters, also from Kent, in 1927. One daughter was born and Edith died in 1944 and is buried in Rookwood Cemetery, Sydney.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 10:02 BST (UK) »
On 17th July 1905, according to the birth certificate of my grandmother Hannah and her twin sister Mary Anne, my great grandparents George McBride and Matilda McEwan married in Edinburgh. However I can find no evidence apart from this of this marriage. Perhaps it was some form of irregular marriage or they didn't marry until 6 weeks before Matilda's death in 1948. This marriage, also in Edinburgh, I do have proof of. Perhaps it had something to do with them being of different faiths. George was Roman Catholic and Matilda Protestant. Their daughter Hannah was baptized into the Roman Catholic faith and in turn married my grandfather, a Protestant. George didn't die until 1970 and I am told as a child I met him but I don't remember him at all, which is a pity.

On 17th July 1790 my 3xG grandmother Agnes Weir was born in Carnwarth, the daughter of James Weir and Grizell or Grace Gardner. She was baptized three days later. She was 42 when she gave birth to her youngest son, my great great grandfather John.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 13:20 BST (UK) »
17 July 
George Mumby and Mary Ann Ro(d)gers my 3 x g.grandparents married at St Botolph’s Church, Boston, Lincolnshire in 1805.

Benjamin Hobson my 2 x g.g.uncle was baptised at Denby Dikeside Wesleyan Church, Cumberworth in 1811

Ralph Stanton my 6 x g.g.uncle was baptised at Morton by Bourne, Lincolnshire in 1711

Benjamin Brand my 2 x g.g.uncle was baptised at St Denys Parish Church, Sleaford, Lincolnshire in 1818

Dorothy Middleton (née Chorley) my 3 x g.grandmother died at Newland Cottages, Millom, Cumberland in 1888.  She’d had a “fruitful” life, having 3 illegitimate children by different fathers before marrying Jonathan Middleton.  Sadly her first 2 children, both girls, died aged 1 and 5.  I don’t know where the first one was born, but there was a bastardy order given for her, the 2nd child was born in Gosforth Poor House.  The third a son lived with his mother and her new husband and their 5 children until he was an adult.  Dorothy was 82 when she died of Senile Decay and heart disease.  She outlived her husband by 11 years.

Edith Case (née Cockett ) my aunt – sister of my mother - died in Oakland Private Nursing Home, Bury Road, Rochdale, Lancashire in 1993.  She was 91 and her cause of death was Bronchopneumonia.  I think she was also suffering with dementia as her family couldn’t cope with her after my uncle died 3 years earlier, so she went to live in the nursing home.

Elizabeth Batty (née Bagshaw) my 5 x g.grandmother was buried at St John the Baptist Church, Penistone, Yorkshire in 1787

Grace Dawson (née Jones) my husband’s 3 x g.grandmother was buried at All Saints Church, Stand, Lancashire in 1873.  Her cause of death was cancer 12 months.  The type of cancer isn’t stated on her death certificate possibly because her death wasn’t certified.  Her youngest unmarried daughter was the informant.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 18 July 13 08:20 BST (UK) »
Bonr today in 1863 in Tudeley, Kent a 2xgt. aunt, Minnie Rainer;  daughter of Edward and Charlotte (nee Henman).
Minnie married a widower, James Parris, in March 1883 at St. Nicholas, Plumstead. They had six children, although only 2 survived to marry and have their own families.  Minnie died, after suffering from TB for nine months, in 1900 in Belvedere, Kent.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 18 July 13 12:02 BST (UK) »
On 18 July 1837 my g.g uncle Alfred Sewell Wilson was born in Hoxton, London, the son of Robert Wilson and Harriet Sewell.  Sadly he died in May 1838.
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 18 July 13 17:38 BST (UK) »
18 July   
James Sharp a first cousin 4 times removed was baptised at St Botolph’s Church, Boston, Lincolnsire in 1831

Jane Benson a 5 x g.g.aunt was baptised at Holme Cultram, Cumberland in 1736

Jeremy (Jeremiah) Pemberton my 4 x g.grandfather died in Lower Peover, Cheshire in  1799.  He was a carpenter, and in his will he left all his Estate in the Township of Plumley, and also all his worldly Effects both real and Personal whatsoever, to his wife and following her death his estate had to be shared amongst their children.  If his wife re-married, then all goods and effects had to be sold and the money arising to be equally divided amongst the children, the youngest of whom was 13 and the eldest living child 29 at the time of their father's death.  The total value of personal estate and effects was under £40 which using average earnings would have been worth £41,700 in 2011, so quite a good sum of money for a carpenter to leave.

John Collett my 6 x g.grandfather was buried at Eye, Suffolk in 1721.  John Collett was an established member of the community in Eye, where he held the position of council man – not sure what that relates to today possibly a councillor. 

Agnes Lomas my 4 x g.grandmother was buried at St Cuthbert’s Church, Aldingham, Lancashire in 1826

Elisabeth Pake another 4 x g.grandmother was buried at Holy Trinity Church, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire in 1798

John Dawson my husband’s g.grandfather was buried in Southern Cemetery, Manchester in 1908, aged 63.  Although his death certificate shows he died in the workhouse, I assume this was just in the hospital as he died 3 days after his admission from lobar pneumonia.  He was employed all his life as a lithographer, which was considered a highly skilled trade and had his own house.  His wife also died in the workhouse 6 years earlier from Cancer of the uterus.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 19 July 13 11:45 BST (UK) »
Born today in Cripplegate, London in 1842 my 2xgt. aunt Eliza Hamutal Barham;  daughter of Francis and Isabella (nee Bailey). Eliza died in August 1844 and was buried in St. Luke, Old Street, London.