Author Topic: On this day in July.....tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries  (Read 22971 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: On this day in July.....tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries
« Reply #54 on: Friday 19 July 13 17:48 BST (UK) »
19 July
Top of the list today is Francis William Benson my father and Edna Maria Murphy (nee Benson) his twin sister who were born at 34 Turkey Lane, Harpurhey, Manchester in 1912.  If they were alive they would be 101 today.

James Hobson my 2 x g.g.uncle was baptised at St John the Evangelist Church, Denby in 1807, about 7 months after his birth.  Apart from his eldest sibling, all his other siblings were baptised at 6-7 months after birth.

Anne Spraggett Clarke (nee Dyke) my husbandís 2 x g.grandmother was baptised at St Maryís Church, Warwick, in 1829

Abraham Sale my husbandís 4 x g.grandfather was baptised at St Chadís Church, Rochdale, Lancashire in 1778

Mary Pake (nee Okey) my 6 x g.grandmother was baptised at Holy Trinity Church, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire in 1703

John James my 5 x g.g.uncle was baptised at Broughton in Furness, Lancashire in 1723

Joseph James my 5 x g.g.uncle and brother of John above was baptised in Kirkby Ireleth, Lancashire in 1730

Joshua Singleton my 6 x g.g.uncle was baptised at St Peterís Church, Huddersfield, Yorkshire in 1663

Mary Ann Mumby (nee Stanton) my 2 x g.grandmother died at 16 Alfred Street, Hull in 1878.  The cause of her death was heart disease of 6 months. 

Below is a photograph of my dad and his twin sister as babies (kindly restored by the clever people on the photo restoration board).

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 19 July 13 18:04 BST (UK) »
On 19 July 1835 my g.g. aunt Emma Elizabeth Wilson was baptised at Hoxton St John, London.  She was the sister of Alfred Sewell Wilson from yesterday and daughter of Robert Wilson and Harriet Sewell.  I know very little about her and lose sight of her after the 1851 census.
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 19 July 13 18:39 BST (UK) »
Great photo of the twins, LizzieW.  I have a similar one of my father born 1908 - difficult to tell the boys from the girls from their clothes!
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 19 July 13 19:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Quest40

I think you can tell my dad is on the right of the photo as we look at it.  As the twins got older, they looked even more like each other (an indeed the rest of their siblings), so my dad ended up with very dark, almost black hair, and olive skin.  Their g.gran was apparently Spanish or Portuguese but I haven't been able to trace her so far, mainly because I can't find her son (my g.grandfather) prior to his name on my gran's birth certificate.  He and g.gran didn't marry so no marriage certificate to help, although I have a feeling he was illegitimate, so there wouldn't have been a father's name on the marriage cert even if they'd married.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 20 July 13 07:03 BST (UK) »
Today is about living and more recent relatives

Mum was born today in 1920 so is 93 today in Bredbury Cheshire

Also my Aunt Cicely who was always interested in family history was born today in 1917 in Egham
Cicely died 3 years ago.

Additionally A cousin's daughter shares the day.

At least one the three birthday girls were together on this day
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 20 July 13 08:17 BST (UK) »
Born today in 1815 in Clerkenwell a 4xgt.aunt Susanna Kingsman;  daughter of Edward and Susanna (nee Leviston).  Susanna married Robert John Bray, a pocket book maker, in 1833 at St. Mary, Newington.  So far I've found 6 children born to the couple.  Susanna died in 1897 in Greenwich; 23 years after Robert.

It's also the birthday of my first grandchild.  :)
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 20 July 13 10:02 BST (UK) »
I'm thinking of repeating information from here into the new ancestral anniversaries database
See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,652405.msg5006213.html#msg5006213

If anyone objects to information they have posted being so shared can they PM me and I will leave it alone.

Any general comments please use the above link.
Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 20 July 13 21:00 BST (UK) »
Frederick Pemberton Hobson my g.uncle married Elsie Tonge at Manchester Registry Office in 1907.  Theyíd already had a child together in 1906, who although registered with his motherís surname, had Hobson as one of his names.
Peter Pemberton my 2 x g.grandfather was born at Witton cum Twambrook, Cheshire in 1812.  He was a butcher living at Proffits House, Kingsley.  He and his wife had 11 children all of whom lived to adulthood.  Two of his sons emigrated to America.

Richard Stanton my 8 x g.grandfather was born at Morton by Bourne, Lincolnshire in 1644

Isaac Whittaker my husbandís g.uncle was baptised at Hatherlow Congregational Chapel, Hatherlow, Cheshire in 1835

Mary Cawthorn (nee Chapman) my 4 x g.grandmother was baptised at St Maryís Church, Pinchbeck, Lincolnshire in 1760

John Harper Howard my husbandís 2 x g.g.uncle died at 4 Marybone, Liverpool in 1864.  He was 45.  Iíve not got his death certificate, so I donít know the cause of his death.

Dorothy Middleton (nee Chorley) my 3 x g.grandmother was buried at Holy Trinity Church, Millom, Cumberland in 1888.  She was 82.  I wrote a little about her on 17 July the day of her death.

Hannah Lockwood (nee Brown) my 4 x g.grandmother was buried at St John the Baptist Church, Penistone, Yorkshire in 1814.  She was 61.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 21 July 13 11:18 BST (UK) »
I feel as if I have been conspicuous by my absence this month. I don't know what my ancestors were doing nine months earlier but it sure as hell wasn't making babies!

Today I do have one offering, albeit a very distantly related one. Margaret Lynn was born in Exelby, North Riding in 1889. She was a first cousin, twice removed and I know little of her.

In a few days time things start to pick up again so I shall be posting BMDs at the end of the month. Still enjoying yours though, so keep them coming. :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson