Author Topic: On this day in July.....tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries  (Read 22899 times)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: On this day in July.....tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 08:50 BST (UK) »
Two births today:

My lovely Dutch DiL, now living in Canada.

An aunt, Alice Florence Barham, born in 1912 in Shoreditch;  daughter of John Robert and Matilda Alice Eva (nee Pain). Sadly Alice died from TB just a month after her 23rd birthday in 1935 and is buried in Manor Park cemetery in Newham.  Her mother also died from TB 2 months later and is buried in the same cemetery. Her granny (Matilda's mother) had died just a week before Alice died but was buried in Islington cemetery. What a sad time for the family.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 13:09 BST (UK) »
On 2 July 1865 my 2nd cousin 1 x removed, Alice Martha Lydia Rogers, was baptised at Hoxton St John, London.  She was the daughter of William John Rogers and Angelina Theresa Kelly and was born on 23 December 1863.  In 1889 she married Joseph John Donoughue, who is described on the marriage certificate as an acrobat!  By the 1891 census Joseph, Alice, and family were using the surname Leopold, so I suspect he was another member of the Leopold Troupe of acrobats formed by Alice's uncle, John Andrew Kelly.
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 14:08 BST (UK) »
July 2nd

In 1748, my 5xGreat Aunt Mary Fuller was baptised at Diss, Norfolk. She was the 5th of the 12 children of Samuel Fuller & Bridget Chapman. Sadly she died a few weeks later in August 1748

In 1822 my 3xGreat Grandparents William Clark and Judith Maria Levi/Levey/Levy married at St Georges, Hanover Sq London. At the time William was a servant/butler but the couple later ran a tobacconists. They had 9 children, at least 4 of whom died as infants/children.
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 15:52 BST (UK) »
2nd July

On the 2nd of July 1963 I left the shores of England from Liverpool, with my parents and brother for a new life in Canada. Who knew what lay ahead for us.  I was 9 1/2 when I left.  I find it hard to believe I have been here this long it just seems like yesterday we left on the ship Empress of Britain.

We are now on the second generation born in Canada, my two children where the first and now my grandson is the second generation.

Have a great day everyone

Cheers
Anne
Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss
Derbyshire - Hardwick, Barker, Marples
Lancashire - Winstanley, Morton

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 13:05 BST (UK) »
On 3 July

In 1930 my first cousin 3 x removed, Mary Ann Conquest Thomason, died in Lambeth.  She was the daughter of William Papworth Thomason and Sarah Conquest, and was married to Henry Short Grey.

In 1934 my dear cousin Ivor Leonard Wilson was born, the son of Leonard Sewell Wilson and Ivy Wharnsby.  Sadly, he died in December 2001.
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 16:42 BST (UK) »
july 3

On this day july 3 1901 my grandmother Sarah Ann (Sally)

Hotchkiss was born to John Thomas Hotchkiss and Ruth Winstanley at Carr Green Mapplewell, Yorkshire.

Cheers

Anne
Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss
Derbyshire - Hardwick, Barker, Marples
Lancashire - Winstanley, Morton

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 July 13 08:20 BST (UK) »
Born today in 1940 in Shoreditch a cousin, Stanley Robert Barham;  son of Alfred Ernest and his first wife Ada Beatrice (nee Reed).  By the time I discovered Alfred's history Stanley had died; 2003 in Luton.  Stanley married in 1966.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 04 July 13 10:38 BST (UK) »
On 4th July 1807 my 4xG grandparents James Scott and Rachel Wood married in Fife. Annoyingly it is one of several entries crammed into the margin of the main page, so I know only that they were both living in the parish of Ceres. However, the following year their daughter, my 3xG grandmother was born and this gives their residence as Callange.
I was lucky in finding Rachel Wood. When my GG grandmother (another Rachel) died, on her death cert her mother is given as Rachel Wood, when in fact it was Elisabeth Scott, turned out the informant had given her grandmother and not her mother. Happy days.  ;D
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 04 July 13 12:17 BST (UK) »
On this day in 1869  in Northwich my grandmother, Jessie Whitlow, was born. My grandfather ran a garage on Witton Street and Jessie ran a china and fancy goods shop at the bottom of Winnington Hill. The building has sadly been demolished. I remember it well when Joe Allmann sold "antiques" from it. My cousin and I persuaded my aunt (Jessie's daughter) that the vase she had bought there was "Ming". She became quite excited but I couldn't stop laughing and spoiled the show.

My cousin, and Jessie's second grandson, was also born on this day.

According to the "Prominent Citizens of Des Moines, Iowa, USA 1904", my great uncle, Charles Frederick Pfisterer (Fisher) arrived in the States on this day in 1883. He was Grandpa's elder brother.
Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W