Author Topic: 17th Century Brittons, Bretons, etc. in England  (Read 6629 times)

Offline LPlantagenet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dr. Lindsey Britton
    • View Profile
17th Century Brittons, Bretons, etc. in England
« on: Monday 01 July 13 15:59 BST (UK) »
Are there any Brittons, Brittains, Brettons, etc. here who can trace their line back to England c 1700 or before?

The Britton Project may be able to offer you a free DNA test if you have a qualifying male relative named Britton, etc. and a well-documented pedigree to c 1700 or before.  We are especially interested in modern descendants of mediaeval and Visitation families.

The earliest forms of the name were Brito, Breton, and Bretun.

Lindsey

Looking for the ancestors of John Britton bc 1672/3, probably in England, but living in Henrico Co., VA by 1684--The family has a rare Y-DNA signature and belongs to subgroup AS7E of Haplogroup I1--We are Family Group 1 in the Britton Project

Offline BristolClark

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 17th Century Brittons, Bretons, etc. in England
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 July 13 19:51 BST (UK) »
I can trace my Britton family from Bristol all the way through to the 1400s living in Bitton.

I myself am not a Britton, but I have lots of cousins and uncles that I could approach to be tested if it is free.

Offline LPlantagenet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dr. Lindsey Britton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 July 13 20:08 BST (UK) »
Group 7 in the Britton Project claims descent from the Brittons of Bitton--one member is from NZ and the others are Americans.  Use this link and scroll down to Group 7 to see their pedigrees:

http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/britton/pats

How does your line fit in? 

Lindsey

Looking for the ancestors of John Britton bc 1672/3, probably in England, but living in Henrico Co., VA by 1684--The family has a rare Y-DNA signature and belongs to subgroup AS7E of Haplogroup I1--We are Family Group 1 in the Britton Project

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 July 13 20:33 BST (UK) »
This is no use for your project since I am a female Brittain descendant but I would just mention that there was a large Brittain contingency in Bedfordshire.  I have at the moment got no further back than William Brittain b. 1787 in Biggleswade (my 4xgreat grandfather).  He married and settled in Colmworth.
The Bedfordshire Brittains were a very prolific lot.  Three of William's children ended up in Australia:  one son in Western Australia, where I believe they are still very numerous, and two (separately) in Victoria.  As far as I know, none of this line went westwards to America.

Bevj.
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline BristolClark

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 July 13 20:56 BST (UK) »
How does your line fit in? 

So, they may be R1b, then? May I ask what the full haplotype is?

From the list on your site:

Thomas Britton b abt 1520, Gloucestershire m Agnes Horsington
Jasper Britton b abt 1550, Bitton, Gloucestershire m Joan Swinford
John Britton abt 1576 “ “ m Elizabeth Cutt
John Britton abt 1604 “ “ m Elizabeth Deane
Morris Britton abt 1642 “ “ m Margaret
Morris Britton abt 1668 “ “ m Jane Braine
Morris Britton abt 1701 “ “ m Betty Robbins

Thomas Britton would be their 12xgreat-Grandfather.

The line continues from Morris as:

Morris Britton abt 1722 m Jane Jones.
Emmanuel Britton abt Oct 1754 m Mary Naish.
William Britton abt Oct 1779 m Grace Britton.

Grace Britton and William Britton were 4th Cousins.

Offline LPlantagenet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dr. Lindsey Britton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 July 13 22:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you--I will forward your information to a member of Group 7 and will let you know as soon as I hear from him.  I assume the two of you would like to discuss your common ancestors.

The family haplotype may be seen at these links:

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Britton/?iframe=ydna

Note: Patton descends in the male line from Brittons, but there has been a name change. 

There are two other Brittons from Bitton in the SMGF database.  Their haplotypes may be seen on the page Y-Results Ancestry, etc.:

http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/britton/order

Most Brittons, and indeed the majority of men in northwestern Europe, belong to Haplogroup R1b--the Brittons of Bitton belong to the L21 subgroup of R1b.

Lindsey

Offline LPlantagenet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dr. Lindsey Britton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 July 13 22:13 BST (UK) »
This is no use for your project since I am a female Brittain descendant but I would just mention that there was a large Brittain contingency in Bedfordshire.  I have at the moment got no further back than William Brittain b. 1787 in Biggleswade (my 4xgreat grandfather).  He married and settled in Colmworth.
The Bedfordshire Brittains were a very prolific lot.  Three of William's children ended up in Australia:  one son in Western Australia, where I believe they are still very numerous, and two (separately) in Victoria.  As far as I know, none of this line went westwards to America.

Bevj.

Thank you--that's quite interesting.  I had noticed there were a number of Brittons in Bedfordshire and wondered whether their ancestors originated there or whether some of them might have come from Essex where the name was known from the earliest times or perhaps Northamptonshire which Guppy identified as one of the homes of the Britton name.  I wish we could find some of these Brittons to test.  I assume you don't know any Britton males who are related to you?

Lindsey

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 08:06 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid that I am not in contact with any Australian Brittains.
Some 20 years ago my parents were invited to Bunbury, W.A. to a family reunion which apparently was attended by over 400 people (I did say they were a prolific lot!).  My parents couldn't go because we were in England and it was too far/costly.
I have traced the descendants of William Brittain in W.A. until the 1930's but the Australian privacy laws have prevented me from researching any further  :(
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline LPlantagenet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dr. Lindsey Britton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 18:45 BST (UK) »
To Bristol Clark:
I have heard from my one of the Brittons from Bitton who is a member of my project. He would like to discuss ancestors with you.  If you will send me your e-mail address by private message, I will forward it to him.  Or you may e-mail me either from the Britton project or the Britton One-Name Study at GOONS.

Lindsey