Author Topic: Completed My Visit to Cambridgeshire County Record Office - will do simple Look-ups  (Read 27908 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Completed My Visit to Cambridgeshire County Record Office - will do simple Look-ups
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 20 October 05 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Marlene, (or Kia Ora to you too - sounds much more exotic!),
As you may have seen I spied a loophole of opportunity yesterday and took it, by visiting the CCRO a couple of days before I had intended this week.  The nature of my existence at the moment is that I'm not really very sure about even a few days in the future (sounds rather ominous, doesn't it?), so I try to do my research when the chance presents itself.
However, I will certainly have a look, probably next week now, for your FAIREY's in Gt. Catworth or Swavesey.  I must admit I've not come across Gt. Catworth before - is it close to Swavesey?
Very best wishes,
Keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Completed My Visit to Cambridgeshire County Record Office - will do simple Look-ups
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 20 October 05 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Juddee,
I'm going to PM you presently with all the HAYDEN baptisms, marriages and burials I found in the 1538-1996 Thriplow Parish Transcript book.
Suffice to say, I could not find that 1799 marriage to Mary King, so perhaps it did indeed take place across the county line in Barley, Herts.  I hope that amongst all the info I send you you might be able to piece together a bit of a HAYDEN tree...
Very best wishes (and give me about half an hour to word-process it all!
Keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 20 October 05 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hi again, John (as in 47jonno),
Finally got to your look-up, and I looked at West Wratting, Balsham and Burrough Green parishes for your SKIPPAGE's yesterday.  Hopefully, some of your questions will be answered by the following:
In the West Wratting 1579-1889 parish transcript book I found:
A marriage: John SKIPPAGE bachelor to Susan STARLING spinster b.o.t.p.  Witnesses: Mileson Poulter, Sarah Baker.
The following SKIPPAGE baptisms are to John (a labourer) and Susanna (sometimes Susan) SKIPPAGE, presumably the happy couple:
03-02-1814: Mary (but her burial entry: 06-02-1814 aged 6 weeks)
10-07-1815: Mary
02-05-1819: Charles
17-03-1822: Caroline ( but her burial: 22-03-1822 aged 5 weeks)
25-05-1828: Caroline ( then, sadly, presumably her burial: 30-09-1832, Caroline SKIPPAGE, aged 5)
There's another burial, for a John SKIPPAGE, aged 68 on 21-04-1854.

There are only 2 more baptisms for this family in West Wratting: 02-01-1842: Charles s. of Charles (labourer) and Eliza SKIPPAGE
and: 26-01-1845: Caroline d. of Charles and Eliza SKIPPAGE

No sign of a wedding for Charles and Eliza in W.Wratting, though there is a burial: 03-08-1852 Eliza SKIPPAGE of Town St. aged 31  (Charles's young wife?)

Then to Balsham where is a marriage on 14-05-1819 for:
Charles SKIPPAGE bachelor to Lucy DICKERSON spinster b.o.t.p. (My remark now - could this be the same Charles, earlier in his life?)
There's a gap of 10 years from the date of this marriage until the first recorded baptisms in the Balsham transcripts - barren years, or did they live somewhere else for a decade?
22-11-1829: Jasper s. of Charles and Lucy SKIPPAGE
09-12-1832: Ephraim s. of Charles and Lucy SKIPPAGE
15-05-1836: Nathan s. of Charles and Lucy SKIPPAGE
10-02-1839: Una d. of Charles and Lucy SKIPPAGE
24-06-1842: Mary Ann and Melinda daughters of Charles and Lucy SKIPPAGE

Burials in Balsham: 02-02-1849: Charles SKIPPAGE aged 50
06-04-1851: Jasper SKIPPAGE aged 21

I looked for the Charles/Eliza marriage in Linton, but there were no SKIPPAGE entries there at all.  I looked them up in the Boyd's Marriage Index, and found an entry that simply stated:
William SKIPPAGE and Han. ALLEN 1812 Burrough Green
Extremely fortunately for you they have just begun to transcribe the Burrough Green registers - they were in a special place, and there I found:
Marriage: William SKIPPAGE bachelor and Hannah ALLEN spinster b.o.t.p. on 12-10-1812  Witnesses: George Price and Ann Gray
Subsequent Baptisms there: 05-07-1813: Mary d. of William and Hannah SKIPPAGE
28-01-1816: Sarah d. of William and Hannah SKIPPAGE
In both these entries William's occupation is given as labourer.
Finally, a burial: 13-04-1834: Sarah SKIPPAGE o.t.p. aged 19

That's it - hope it helps.  I'm going for a lie down...
Keith

Offline 47jonno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 20 October 05 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith

Thank you so much. This has helped a lot. Regards John

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 20 October 05 20:08 BST (UK) »

Dear Keith

Thank you so much for looking. I'll search in the later census and see if any of them feature. Seeing as how in the next generation of Martins there are illegitimate children, I get the feeling that maybe this family were not too concerned about registering births ... probably gave their parish church a wide berth!

Best regards
Koromo

... and a Kia ora to that fellow kiwi, Marlene. :)

Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 20 October 05 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi, John and Koromo,
Glad I was of some assistance - and I see that you've had quite a bit of good help elsewhere, Koromo, on the Censuses with that MARTIN family of yours.  Great!
Very best wishes,
keith

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 21 October 05 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith

When I was a boy kia ora was a de luxe orange squash, which even if it was still on the market today I wouldn't be allowed to touch as it's non-alcoholic!

Enough frivolity, down to the serious business - genealogy.

Next time you amble along to the record office could I trouble you check out the following, very specific, events:

Stapleford Cambs -
11 Dec 1758 Marriage John FORD - Anne IS(S)ON Any detail/witnesses would be of great interest.
24 May 1759 Baptism William FORD son of the above

Milton Cambs  - 15 Nov 1761 Baptism John Ford (my 4 x g grandfather) 2nd son of John above. This date I found on a US website and would love to be able to verify it, as it's the only instance of this family appearing in Milton. They must have been in transit between Stapleford and Fenstanton, Hunts. where son number 3 was born

No rush

Many thanks and best regards

Bon weekend

David

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 21 October 05 19:17 BST (UK) »
David,
I thought exactly the same thing as you when the first of those Kia ora's came up from across the world from our two Kiwi Rootschatters.  Nearly mentioned the orange juice thing there and then, but held my council.  (Actually, I've had an impossible time trying to track down my Del-Rivo Italian roots - all I ever turn up when I google hopefully for them is that d**n Del-Rivo juice that sells so widely in the shops here)
Am presently on a (so far) strict regime of no alcohol to try and lose some weight, but 6 weeks later I'm beginning to realise that other drinks really are a boring alternative...
However, lighter and more sober, I shall certainly climb Castle Hill, Cambridge, in the near future and hunt out those pieces of genealogy for you.  Just a little patience, in case I don't get there next week...
Keith
p.s. Amazing - the Rootschat site has edited my 4-letter mild expletive, I've noticed...!

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 21 October 05 21:11 BST (UK) »
KIA ORA guys!
Very useful expression as it is both a greeting and "thank you'!
The orange juice was probably from Rarotonga not Aotearoa!
Gird your Loins (?) fellows the All Blacks are coming and you'll definitely need fortified intake of some sort!
I'm trying to make sense of what my Faireys were doing for Keith and it's too early for such talk.
Upside down & down under
Marlene
HUNTS: Fairy, Ding, Scotney, Swinton, Burgess, Brace
BEDS: Farey, Fairy,  Young, Rootham, Gell, Wildman, Cooper. Deighton, Flavel.
NORTHANTS: Hills, Mobbs, Twelftrees,
DERBY: Fairey,
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WATFORD HERTS; Burgess, Williams
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,
WORCS: Callow, Lowe