Author Topic: stephen mcguinness clara kings county  (Read 7397 times)

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
stephen mcguinness clara kings county
« on: Sunday 12 June 05 11:09 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about the McGuinness family based in Clara during 1850s? Ellen and Elizabeth migrated to Australia and then Margaret Mother) and younger brother John followed. Father Stephen, either died prior to migration or remained behind. I'm interested in any news.

Offline sharonmk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: stephen mcguinness clara kings county
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 March 06 11:01 GMT (UK) »
YES!!!

Ellen was my great-great-grandmother through her marriage to Martin Gleeson in Wollongong NSW.

I have a lot on Ellen's family, a bit on Eliza's family, a little bit on their brother John's family (he and their mother later migrated to New South Wales).

Look forward to hearing from you.

Sharon

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 January 11 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Unclaimed money; Next of Kin & Heirs;

Australian papers;

Mc Guiness William & Mary, who emigrated from Kings County in 1841
(children of)
-----------------
Jack

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 January 11 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jack
Thank you for that I now have something more to go on. I've done lots of fossicking around and sadly have been unable to trace these McGuinnesses in Ireland, it just appears to be one of those brick walls. so maybe this will give me another thread to follow. I just love the NLA website it has given me some wonderful gems. Thanks again much appreciated.
Regards
Wren.

Offline Reginager

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 November 18 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Just new to this site and know this has been written a while back so Hopefully you get my message. Just wondering did you ever get more information on this mcguinness family from clara offaly. I am a mcguinness from horseleap a village just outside clara and I am looking at the mcguinness family tree and trying to work it all out. At that time there were mcguinness family in Clara, moate and Horseleap which I think were related

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 November 18 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reginager
I have no more information on Stephen although I do think there is a Horseleap connection. Not even a definite death date. His wife, Margaret Sullivan, appears to have a baptismal record Clara-Horseleap. I tend to think the McGuinnesses were probably farmers based in Horseleap. I would love to know what happened to the boys Edward and Joseph who did not come to Australia as well as Stephen. There was another daughter Mary who went to Scotland married at Renfrew to  Patrick Docherty from Horseleap. They came to Australia in 1855 and had no children. Mary passed away from melancholy in 1857. These two mentions of Horseleap tend to make me think the McGuinnesses were living in that community although at present I haven't any concrete evidence.
I'm still searching.
Some years ago when I visited Ireland I went to Clara and took some photographs of McGuinness headstones I found in the cemetery. Not sure if they're relations but took them anyway in case I needed them in the future. I knew there was a slim possibility of my returning so I took the opportunity. I'm still searching all records for connections.
I would be very excited if there was more McGuinness connections.
Regards
Wren