Author Topic: Looking for the right George Angus  (Read 2282 times)

Offline rchadz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Looking for the right George Angus
« on: Sunday 07 July 13 08:09 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

We have a few documents about my Great-Great Grandfather Alexander Angus but we need help.

On his marriage certificate from Wharfedale, Yorks 22 Feb 1873 it says Alexander's father is George Angus = Farm Labourer   We have researched his censuses 1881-1911 in the UK and in 1911 it says he was born in Udny, Aberdeenshire.  His birth date appears to be around 1853.  However, I cannot locate an Alexander born to George around these dates. 

We have researched Alexander on the Scottish census in 1861 and 1871 and in both the only viable options have him living away from his parents, not sure why?

Can anyone help me find my George Angus?

Regards,  Rchadz :)
Names: angus, arnold, chadderton, colley, farrow, fletcher, hobson, hyde, lees, pyle, roberts, swindells

Areas:  Oldham, Aberdeen (Scot) & Otley Yorks

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the right George Angus
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 July 13 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just a thought. In the 1861 census for a Alexander Angus born 1853 Udny there is also listed a James Angus born 1848. I had a look for James in the 1851 census and he would appear to be in Udny with parents George and Elizabeth Angus and with a number of siblings. It might be worth investigating this family further to see if it is the right one.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 July 13 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Rchadz,

I had a look at the 1861 census, and see as you have stated that he was living as a boarder, also there is a James Angus who would probably be his brother. I found James in the 1851 census living with his parents who were George and Elizabeth, james was born at Ellon, but they were living at Udny by the 1851 c....so that will be your family...it is possible that your Alexander' Baptism is missing.
George was 34yrs 1817ish, Slains, Ab... and Elizabeth born Cruden, aged 31..children Welle, Mary, Charles, George and James...Alex yet to be born
Jo
Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 July 13 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi again

The eldest son in the 1851 census of George and Elizabeth Angus and transcribed as Welle should probably be William. It says he was born in Methlick in 1839. I cannot see a baptism for him or any of his siblings but there is a marriage for a George Angus 7 Nov 1838 in Methlick to Elisabeth Williamson.

In the 1861 census the above named William is married to Jane. His marriage cert would name parents. His other siblings are not with their parents in 1861 either. So the OPR deaths for 1851 - 1854 and death certs for 1855 - 1861 might be worth exploring for George and Elizabeth.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 July 13 22:40 BST (UK) »
In 1861 George Angus is still working at Orchardtown.The fact that his wife is not there may indicate she died & that could be the reason why the 2 youngest children are boarded out. If you view the census on scotlandspeople it will tell you whether or not George is a widower. He may also have applied for poor relief for his children and it's always worthwhile checking those records as well. The Aberdeenshire records are held by Aberdeen City Archives.
Regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 July 13 07:33 BST (UK) »
It also looks as though George is still alive in 1871, a boarder in the parish of Old Deer with the Clark family and still an agricultural labourer. His year of birth in 1861 and 1871 has been transcribed as 1813. In 1851 it is 1817 but in all three censuses his parish of birth is given as Slains.

William

Offline rchadz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 July 13 11:33 BST (UK) »
 :) Many thanks to all for your help so far.

The possible death of Elizabeth Angus before 1861 sounds viable in fact I wonder if she may have died in childbirth?  I will research further. 

The reason for the questions has come because although we have suspected George and Elizabeth were the parents we have had no actual proof (i.e. a birth certificate or registry entry) and another Angus relative from George and Elizabeth has disputed our connection.

Once again, thanks to all for your help and kindness.

Rchadz

Names: angus, arnold, chadderton, colley, farrow, fletcher, hobson, hyde, lees, pyle, roberts, swindells

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 July 13 15:29 BST (UK) »
If you click on this link you'll find out how to contact the archivist at Old Aberdeen House, where the Poor Relief Application records are kept.You can also inquire whether there are any School Admission Rolls for James & George (If you state their address as on the 1871 census they'll know which school was the nearest & most likely one they went to.) These records will show their dates of birth,next of kin & which other schools they attended before & after.
flst

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,507507.0.html
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline rchadz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 July 13 08:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your help  :)  I have sent a request for poor records to the Aberdeen archives.

Any ideas of locating the birth certificate for Alexander Angus born in Udny about 1853?  Also, any ideas on locating a death record for Elizabeth Angus (wife of George) between 1853 and 1861?  Are there documents not available online I should be looking for?

I may look on the newspaper obit website.

Regards,  Rchadz