Author Topic: Lynwood Family, High Wycombe  (Read 3236 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lynwood Family, High Wycombe
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 08:53 BST (UK) »
Do we know if George and Evelyn had any children?
There are LOTS of Stevens with mums maiden namd Wood on FreeBMD, not specifically that area, but they could have moved.
Maybe need copies of their Wills to see. If they did, then they would be the obvious choice for who to have the photos
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 11:12 BST (UK) »

Hi

Am I reading the name right at the bottom of the last photo on the new site of Nora.
 Does it say repro by S Georges  Green St WC2?

wc2 is slap bang in theatre land

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 13:15 BST (UK) »
The death for George Clement Stevens b.17 July 1900, died June 1978.  aged 77. R/D. Chiltern & Beaconsfield.  Bucks.

There is also a passenger listing for G.C. Stevens in 1929, landing at Gibraltar.  Occ. Engineer.

Having a hard time finding any birth that fits, except a 1901 census entry, with him being born in 1900, Canada.  Grandson to George B. Mee,  and appears to be a son of Eveline F. Stevens c.1880. Barnet, Herts.  (Widowed).

Dammit.....he shows as George Claud/Claus Stevens, b.1900. Dunham, Canada, in 1911 census. ::)

Steve. :)

PS. Victoria Mary Greenwood, was baptised 20 Dec 1828 @ Chalgrove, Oxon.  (From OxFHS-Chalgrove Transcripts)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline Rachael89

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 19:03 BST (UK) »

Hi

Am I reading the name right at the bottom of the last photo on the new site of Nora.
 Does it say repro by S Georges  Green St WC2?

wc2 is slap bang in theatre land

Tazzie

Yep, that is what it says indeed! Well spotted! That's more evidence that Evelyn did indeed have some kind of acting career. I wish there was more information readily available - I guess finding out more would involve newspaper/archive searches.

Thanks for your hard work, everyone - this is all fascinating stuff!
Virgin, Mogford, Grant, Clay, Moss, Santer, Arkle

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 19:52 BST (UK) »

Rachael

Hi.    Is the photo Evelyn or Nora. Also its likely they used a stage name. So many theatre's in the area. Wiki site for British stage actresses but nothing jumps out.
 Shame it may come down to accessing the wills or Evelyn & George Stevens or for Nora Wood.

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rachael89

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 20:06 BST (UK) »

Rachael

Hi.    Is the photo Evelyn or Nora. Also its likely they used a stage name. So many theatre's in the area. Wiki site for British stage actresses but nothing jumps out.
 Shame it may come down to accessing the wills or Evelyn & George Stevens or for Nora Wood.

Tazzie

I'm pretty sure the actress was Evelyn/Eve was the actress - both going by the photo collage I put together which charts the children as they age and the fact the sellers were adamant that 'Eve' was the actress in the family. As you say, it's likely she went by a stage name - it would be very tricky to find out what name she used as an actress.
Virgin, Mogford, Grant, Clay, Moss, Santer, Arkle

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 20:23 BST (UK) »
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You canít give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).