Author Topic: Browsing history suddenly disappeared  (Read 11638 times)

Offline ann255

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Browsing history suddenly disappeared
« on: Tuesday 09 July 13 15:00 BST (UK) »
A couple of weeks ago I 'lost' my browsing history on I.Explorer.  I have not actually lost the previous history ie I can go back to all the previous weeks for a year or more (why would you want to I hear you ask!) and it will come up with the sites used BUT it will not  show any of the sites in the history since about 2 weeks.  I go into '3 weeks ago' and click it and there the list is, but 2 weeks ago, or Monday or whatever since and I click and nothing.  I am not aware of having done anything to alter things.  I have checked in internet optiions in the dropdown from Tools and under browsing history the 'delete' box is clearly empty. Besides if it has been clicked surely all the previous histories would have gone.  It seems as if it has just suddenly stopped saving anything.
I do not need to use it often, but am finding that now I am having to save websites in favourites just in case I need to refer back to them, and the list is getting almost out of control!!!  Anyone have any thoughts on what could have happened, and even more crucially how I can get it back to how it was saving the links.  Here's hoping.
BROWNING - Kent
DEARING - Kent
FOORD - Kent and Essex
GARRITY - Kent and Essex
GIBBS - Kent
HARE - Essex
JENNINGS - Essex
KEMPTON - Kent
PERKINS - Kent
PETTIT - Suffolk and Essex
RICHARDS - Kent
SIMMONS - Kent
THOMPSON - Suffolk

CLAYDON - NSW,AUSTRALIA

Offline confusion

• RootsChat Senior
  • I was born poor - and still have all of it
    • View Profile
Re: Browsing history suddenly disappeared
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 20:26 BST (UK) »
ann255
A couple of weeks ago I 'lost' my browsing history on I.Explorer.  I have not actually lost the previous history ie I can go back to all the previous weeks for a year or more (why would you want to I hear you ask!) and it will come up with the sites used BUT it will not  show any of the sites in the history since about 2 weeks.

This might be caused by the browser cache being full. IE recommends using 50-250mb disk space for the browser cache.

If you go to the cog icon at the extreme right hand side of the toolbar then select Internet Options from this menu.

On the General tab under Browsing History click on the Settings button.
(The delete button will delete all your browsing history saved to your web cache)

Here you can make changes to the way IE stores web pages.

Under History at the bottom you need to set the maximum days to keep
browsing history  to something like 90.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Willey, Berry, Cox, Davis, Haddock, Hutton, Griffiths/Griffin, Tanner - Worcestershire
Cox, Dudley, Harris, Moore, Neville, Payne - Warwickshire
Chambers, Douds, Dryden, Given, Hamilton, Hassan, McPherson, McWhirter, Simpson, Taggart, Vauls, Whiteside - Ireland/Scotland, Northumberland
Challis, Halls, Heady, Grove, Lawrence - Essex
Foxwell, Imm, Ward - Gloucesteshire
Heady, Collis, Griffin - Hertfordshire
Hurling - Middlesex
Willey, Imm - Monmouthshire
Imm, Hamilton, Hedge, Majury, Sollis - US

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 20:57 BST (UK) »
As said it sounds as if the Browser has filled the available space :-
Microsoft User Forums has some suggestions

Offline ann255

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 July 13 11:22 BST (UK) »
Have taken your advice and gone in and deleted all previously saved browsing history.  Now under Browsing History - delete - I have checked the boxes against 'temp. files'.' History' and' preserve fav. websites'.  Under Browsing History - settings - I have 'automatically' checked.  When I now look under History all that comes up is todays date - nothing in it so far, so I guess it wont appear until I log off and then back on.  Fingers crossed.
BROWNING - Kent
DEARING - Kent
FOORD - Kent and Essex
GARRITY - Kent and Essex
GIBBS - Kent
HARE - Essex
JENNINGS - Essex
KEMPTON - Kent
PERKINS - Kent
RICHARDS - Kent
SIMMONS - Kent
THOMPSON - Suffolk

CLAYDON - NSW,AUSTRALIA

Offline ann255

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Browsing history suddenly disappeared COMPLETED
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 July 13 09:28 BST (UK) »
Success.  Followed your instructions Jim, and it cleared everything out. Gone in this morning and all browsing history is there from yesterday. Thank you very much for your help.
BROWNING - Kent
DEARING - Kent
FOORD - Kent and Essex
GARRITY - Kent and Essex
GIBBS - Kent
HARE - Essex
JENNINGS - Essex
KEMPTON - Kent
PERKINS - Kent
RICHARDS - Kent
SIMMONS - Kent