Author Topic: Dorothy HALL/ MACPHERSON  (Read 3352 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Dorothy HALL/ MACPHERSON
« on: Sunday 12 June 05 13:56 BST (UK) »
On behalf of a friend (Steamboat) who is researching this family:

I'm also still on the lookout for Dorothy Hall (b.1899 Q2 Cardiff)  - she gets married to a MCPHERSON, but I don't know when,  and may live in Berkshire. Her parents are Arthur HALL and Winifred (Nee BALSOM).

We would like to find the marriage - would a BVRI look-up be possible please?

Also anyone who has connections with this family or knows anything of them post 1899?  I think Steamboat already has the 1901 census.  The BALSOM connection is from Devon/ Jersey originally.  Dorothy's father was a mariner.

many thanks for your interest

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline melissa_82

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dorothy HALL/ MACPHERSON
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots,

I know this is a very old query, but I've just come across it. I do research on Jay (Jean) Macpherson, a poet who is the daughter of Dorothy Hall Macpherson (of Swansea, Wales) and James Ewan Macpherson (of Edinburgh, Scotland). They married and eventually settled in London, until Dorothy emigrated with their children Jay and Andrew to Canada in 1940. Could this be the same family? Happy to share more information with you or your friend, and to find out more about what they know

Cheers!

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 July 17 18:14 BST (UK) »
Melissa,
              What you say about them "settling in London" would tie in with a marriage I discovered.

James E McPherson married Dorothy Hall at St George, Hanover Square, London, 1930.     

Brian

Offline melissa_82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 July 17 22:14 BST (UK) »
Yes, these are the same Macphersons. Dorothy married Major James Ewan (Hamish) Macpherson (Royal Scots/91st Punjabis) in Q2 1930 at St. George's Hanover Square. They had Jean (1931) and Andrew Hall (1932) and lived in Hampstead until 1940, when Dorothy took the children to Canada. They lived in Newfoundland and Montreal before settling in Ottawa; JE stayed in London until his death in 1988. Dorothy became a well-known arts curator and won the Order of Canada for her work with the National Film Board.

The living Macphersons (Andrew's children) include Diana, who lives in Toronto, and her two brothers out west.