Author Topic: Shittlehope Burn Farm *COMPLETED*  (Read 7127 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shittlehope Burn Farm
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 July 13 03:37 BST (UK) »
Sorry Max, I don't have a subscription to FindMyPast. Hopefully someone who has will be able to look the farm up for you in earlier years.  :)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 July 13 06:26 BST (UK) »

The 1881 census shows a 30 year old Thomas Heads and wife Jane A. Heads (with nephew William J Heads, father William Peacock and farm servants Elizabeth Robinson and Joseph Oliver) living in Shittlehope Burn, his occupation is described as a farmer of 42 acres employing 2 servants.

I can only surmise that things didn't go well, as a newspaper article in December 1884 has the farm up for let and an April 1885 article reveals that Thomas Heads is leaving Shittlehope Burn farm and is disposing of his stock.

Edited to add: The farm is up for sale in 1864, the farmhouse is occupied by a Mr Curry and a Thomas Emmerson (the latter also the tenant for the associated meadow / woodland called Wright's Field and Woody Bank), in addition there is a further cottage and a meadow called Meadowfield with tenants William Wilkinson and Thomas Emmerson and a right of way onto Shittlehope Common.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 July 13 07:08 BST (UK) »
Great information gaffy.  :)

Offline max777

• RootsChat Member
  • "Who Me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 July 13 07:10 BST (UK) »
That's great information gaffy, thank you. I have sent an email to Weardale Museum requesting any info they have. The more the better. Your responce and Ruskie's is greatly appreciated.

Max
Bell (Allendale/Stanhope), Forrest (Allendale/Stanhope/Hartlepool), Price(Edmondbyers/Stanhope) Pattinson (Weardale), Coulthard, Martindale, Winter (Stanhope) Cowen (Carlisle), Chant (Somerset & Australia) Jolly (Cornwall) Stokes (Somerset) Reed (Allendale NBL)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 July 13 07:15 BST (UK) »
There is a William Wilkinson, widower (and family) at Shittlehope Burn in the 1861 cesus - he is a railway platelayer so unsure if he is the same one living there in 1864.

There is also a George VIckers farmer of 44 acres. He is a 74 year old widower, and his 48 year old unmarried son John is "manager of farm".

On the other side of William Wilkinson is another farmer at Shittlehope Burn - Joseph Currah(?) a 41 year old farmer of 65 acres, plus his family.

Unsure if either/both of those might be the owner/tennant of Shittlehope Burn Farm in 1861.

Offline markshinkfield

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Shittlehope Burn Farm *COMPLETED*
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 September 16 11:48 BST (UK) »
I have a painting of shittlehope burn house, dated 1916. If you would like me to post picture please let me know