Author Topic: PILTON, DEVON Parish Registers---LETHBRIDGE- (Look up Request)  (Read 9096 times)

Offline nigelspicer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
PILTON, DEVON Parish Registers---LETHBRIDGE- (Look up Request)
« on: Wednesday 10 July 13 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hello

Christopher Lethbridge of Westaway was born in 1654 and died in Pilton in 1713. He married Margaret Bourchier of Tawstock (I think in 1681 but not sure). They had 4 children (possibly more) -Mary, Christopher, Philip and Thomas. Please could someone with access to the PR's see if they can find their Baptisms- which I assume took place in Pilton.

Many Thanks

Nigel

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
Re: PILTON, DEVON Parish Registers---LETHBRIDGE- (Look up Request)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 July 13 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Nigel

I'm going to the NDRO later today - I'll check up for you

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 July 13 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Nigel

I've checked the PR transcription held at the NDRO today (I had a long wait for my appointment at the Hospital & didn't have the time to check the microfiche of the original as well) and found the following:
Marriage
 3 Jan 1681/2 Christopher Lethbridge gent & Mrs Margreat Bowtcher
Baps of their children (spellings vary! but Christopher is always "Gent")
14 Sep 1683 John
? Mar 1685 Christopher
27 Dec 1687 Mary
13 Dec 1693 Sara (buried 28 Sep 1704)
7 Apr 1698 Thomas
30 Jun 1700 Philip
Burial
30 Jun 1713 Christopher Lethbridge, gent.

There was no mention of Tawstock in the transcription, and there are Bourchier families in Pilton (not so grand as the Tawstock ones though). The "Mrs" before Margaret's name is interesting - was she a widow? The title indicates gentry possibly, though I would normally only expect to see it for a married woman. I didn't see a burial for the eldest son, John which I expected as he was not on your list

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline nigelspicer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 July 13 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Steve

That was very kind of you to look into this for me- I was very pleased to see that you were able to confirm these people and a few more. I hope you had an equally beneficial visit to the NDH.
I am almost certain that Margaret Bowchier was the daughter of Phillip (died 1687 ae 64) and Agnes (died 1698 ae 66)- there is a floor slab in Pilton Church to this effect. I believe the father of Phillip was the Rev. Roger but I am now in uncertain territory. Possibly of Tawstock but I am unsure. I think Margaret had brothers Robert , Joshua and Richard. Phillip might have been of Landkey.
These are all interesting questions to which answers would be welcomed, but what I really want to know is who married Chistopher their son?
It's a who killed cock Robin question- nobody really yet has the answer. Some references ie the Milverton PR's say Mary Periam widow, others say Mary Cannon (but I think she married John Southey of Fitzhead and was his mother in law), and others say he married Mary Southey (who unsurprisingly was the daughter of Mary Cannon and John Southey). All we know is that it was a Mary! Even the numerous books about the descendant poet Robert Southey who quote his desire to inherit from his wealthy ancestors become unclear/even confused!
So if you're up for a challenge then this is a good local one. If not I thank you very much for the look up- greatly appreciated.
Kind regards
Nigel

Offline ECW Lethbridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 October 13 21:14 BST (UK) »
I have a Lethbridge family tree dating from c.1810.  It shows Christopher Lethbridge and his only child, Elizabeth Canon Lethbridge.  Elizabeth married Hugh Somerville and her son was called John Southey Somerville.  The tree is then added to at a later date noting John Southey Somerville died without issue in 1819.  You can trace these and other family members on www.thepeerage.com

Offline nigelspicer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 October 13 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hello ECW
Thank you for your reply. How interesting that you have such a record- I would love to know more about it's history etc. As you will know the peerage.com gives Mary Cannon as his wife and I'm guessing that this is reflected in your Family Tree. My own 'instinct' is that his wife was Mary Southey but as I said above all this is confused by the Milverton Parish Register which says he, or at least a Christopher Lethbridge (unlikely to be another), married Mary Periam, widow! I would really like to get to the bottom of this.
Any further information you perhaps have would be most welcome.
FYI Thomas , brother to Christopher, is my 7xGGF so I guess that makes us cousins of some sort!
Nigel

Offline ECW Lethbridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 October 13 10:10 BST (UK) »
Nigel,
Christopher Lethbridge's younger brother Thomas married Sarah Periam of Milverton.  That is well documented.
Christopher may have remarried but the later - and hard to read - writing on the family tree I have (added in c.1850) says Christopher married "widow Dyke of Jettor in Co Somerset".  So far I have not been able to trace that reference.  If you manage to please let me know.
Best wishes, Edward

Offline nigelspicer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 October 13 12:42 BST (UK) »
Edward
Thank you for your reply. That reference to Mary Dyke is interesting because I was aware that a Christopher Lethbridge married widow Mary Dyke in Milverton on 10 Nov 1735 but wasn't sure if it was the same Christopher. Clearly the writer on your Tree thought it was.
That now makes 4 possible Mary's who married Christopher ie Mary Southey, Mary Cannon, Mary Dyke and also I have a National Archive record dated 1718 that says 'Christopher Lethbridge ..... and Mary Lethbridge his wife (late Mary Perriam)'. So that is all very confusing. He obviously had a thing for 'Mary's'!
Please let me know if you can provide any clarity. I will do likewise.
Nigel

Offline ECW Lethbridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 October 13 20:36 BST (UK) »
Nigel,
How interesting.  You will have found out by now that Christopher is the most common name in the Lethbridge family.  Every branch I've come across has it in almost every generation.  For example, Christopher Lethbridge's father was a Christopher as was his nephew (second son of Thomas Lethbridge who married Sarah Periam).  This has continued throughout the generations and one of my own middle names is Christopher.  Good luck finding the right Christopher.
Best wishes, Edward