Author Topic: Curedale  (Read 6373 times)

Offline rcuredale

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Curedale
« on: Saturday 10 July 04 18:12 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace any members of my family.

They immigrated from Lancashire around 1880 and have since lived in the Dublin area.

It is a very small family. Spelling for Lancashire members can be Curedale, Cuerdale or Cuerdall. I am buliding a tree for the family. There are only about 5 left in England today. I have traced the family back to around 1100 Keuerdale near Preston.

Offline Deej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Curedale
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 September 04 20:52 BST (UK) »
john Standish Curedale>Sean Curedale of Dublin, Ireland? if so I may be able to help

Offline florencen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 February 05 02:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello there Rob.I presume you are the first post.
Deej, I am curious  ,I know who John standish curedale was but who is Sean CUredale.
I am in Australia but in no way related to the Australian CUredales of WA.Thats RObs department
so if it's not too much trouble let us know how you can help.I am all ears. regards sarah/florencen

Offline Deej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 February 05 20:14 GMT (UK) »
There where two John Standish Curedales, Sean Curedale was the son of John (Sean) Standish Curedale JR. who's father was the John Standish Curedale you know about. John (Sean) Standish Curedale was a member of the old IRA which explains why he was better know as Sean and not John (he was married twice). His son Sean Standish Curedale was my father-in-law, he died a few years ago. I remember the "old man" as his family referred to him, I remember seeing his medals and went to visit him with his grand-daughter (my wife Mary Curedale) once or twice in the state run retirement home where he stayed until his death but by that time he didn't really remember anyone. The Curedale family by nature are a pretty mmmmmmm how shall I put it "standoffish" if they don't know you very well they are not very approachable which is why I'm the one who posted the reply here.

Rob I lost all the details you sent me due to a computer crash including your email addy, I know I should have printed them  ::)  ;D but what can I say except oops! Duh! I'm a big noob!  :D

Offline rcuredale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 February 05 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Dave,

I will send you the destails again.

Sarah I guess you and Dave must be related somehow. Have you boths spoken to Zvi Silver in London? She also has parts of the puzzle. She is related to John Standish's Irish wife.

Rob

Offline Deej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 February 05 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rob I got your email,

Since there are quite a few Curedale's and related family menbers would it be of interest to anyone if we had a forum to exchange and post information?

I have a forum we could use, it may be handy as a resource for info and help get a clearer picture of who is related to who.

let me know if you guy's are interested.

Offline rcuredale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 February 05 03:44 GMT (UK) »
Dave,

I would be interested. There are some Curedales in Hertfordshire and a Cuerdale, perhaps the last somewhere I think in the Midlands or North of England. There may be more hiding under stones somewhere. There was a woman called Alice Curedale living in Norway around 1910 and about 20 Curedales lived in New York from 1872 to 1990 when I think the last one died. The family seems to have many more girls for hundreds of years. I think a lot of the ancient history remains to be rediscovered in eight handwritten volumes by Dr Richard Keurden written around 1660. I believe there is a partial trancription in the Oxford library. The originals are very difficult to read and spread amongst 3 libraries in London and Manchester.

Some old sources I have read include Kuerden amongst the dozen or so variations of spelling which include Keuerdale, Keverdale, Cuerdall, Cuerdell, Curedowe, Cuardale, Curedale Cuerdale and Kuerdall. The Curedale spelling sems to date to about 1800 and the Cuerdale spelling was the most populat for about 100 years before that. Several maps from about 1650 show a town called Keverdale slightly south east of where Cuerdale Hall stands today. There is a stone cross on an intersection there that may have stood in the town.

Offline florencen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Dave and Rob,

Yes Dave and I are related  I suppose.
John Standish Curedale m Sarah Ann Sharrock (this is my line)
then he married Esther Jacobs Levenston.
So does that mean  Jackie Curedale  is John Sean Standish Curedale.I have not done much more than cursory research into the second marriage mainly because my interest is in the first marriage.
I would love to find out more about John Armstead Curedale .Apparently  the children of the first marriage  didn't like  Esther Jacobs Levenston and we were never allowed to ask about that  part of the family history.
Trust me I tried.
Keep me posted guys!
sarah

Offline Deej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 21:06 GMT (UK) »
I'm only related to the curedale's through marriage but the forum I was talking about can be found at http://www.eiretek.org/forum/index.php