Author Topic: 1840 Stamford Death Lookups - Please  (Read 8996 times)

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1840 Stamford Death Lookups - Please
« on: Thursday 11 July 13 01:28 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Is anyone able to lookup 4 deaths for me please. Also where would they be buried?

Sarah Ann Richards - Christened 19 May 1825 (confirmed) died 19 December 1840
Charles Richards - Christened 13 November 1829 (confirmed) died 6 May 1840
Harriet Richards - Born 1833 died 1840
Charity Richards - Born 8 November 1837 died 11 May 1840

All of the above children have parents of William Richards and Sarah Alexander. All of the above children were born in Stamford.

There are supposedly death notices in the Stamford Mercury on Friday 8 May 1840 for Charles and Friday 15 May 1840 for Charity but I cannot find these.

Just to add to this family, I have Hannah Richards Christened 1 October 1833, All Saints, Stamford. On the 1841 Census for the family in North Street, All Saints, Stamford, I have Hannah aged 2. Did the first Hannah die, and when was the second Hannah born (obviously 1839) I cannot find her in the Vital Records. Also she is not with the family when they emigrated to Australia in 1849. So did the second Hannah also die  ??? ???

Any help would be appreciated.
Kind regards
DropBear
Baxter: Lanarkshire, Slamannan
Jordan: Lanarkshire, Staffordshire
McFarlane: Lanarkshire
Mitchell: Ireland to Scotland, Canada & New Zealand
Farrell: Lanarkshire, Ireland, New York
Fagan: Lanarkshire, Ireland
Hogg: Lanarkshire, Ireland

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: 1840 Stamford Death Lookups - Please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 July 13 07:54 BST (UK) »
Charles RICHARDS d.1840 Stamford 14 400 Jun Qtr and buried 10th April 1840.
Charity RICHARDS d. 1840 Stamford 14 400 Jun Qtr and buried 14th April 1840.
Harriet RICHARDS d. 1840 Stamford 14 3511 Sep Qtr and buried 24th July 1840.
Sarah Ann RICHARDS d. 1840 Stamford 14 403 Dec Qtr and buried 21st December 1840.
All burials were at All Saints, Stamford.
Harriet's death reference could be incorrect, but this is the reference shown on FreeBMD.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 July 13 09:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you Victor, I appreciate your time  ;D

I obviously need to delve further as the dates are close but not the months  ??? >:(

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 July 13 07:27 BST (UK) »
Charles RICHARDS d.1840 Stamford 14 400 Jun Qtr and buried 10th April 1840.
Victor

Victor, did all of these dates come from FreeBDM? Perhaps they are not the ones I am looking for  :(

I have since received Charles's death certificate and if definately says 6th May 1840

Offline tup1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 July 13 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have had a look in the Stamford Mercury papers on microfilm held in Grantham library and found the following information in the death sections.

Friday May 8th 1840.
In All Saints Stamford on Wednesday last aged 10 CHARLES second son of Mr Wm Richards shoemaker.

Friday May 15th.
In All Saints Stamford on Monday last aged 2 CHARITY 4th daughter of Mr Wm Richards shoemaker.being the 2nd who died within a week.

Friday Dec 25th.
18th December aged 15 SARAH ANN daughter of Mr Wm Richards shoemaker of North St Road(being the fourth of his children to die in 7 months).

I did not see Harriet/Hannah's death but will have another look next Saturday hope this information is useful.

Kathy

Offline pamthomas

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 July 13 22:51 BST (UK) »
Burial register for Stamford All Saints showing the burials of Charles and Charity, both in May 1840.
http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=522437&iid=296597

Harriet's burial is on the the next page (image 124) and Sarah's on image 126.

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 July 13 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have had a look in the Stamford Mercury papers on microfilm held in Grantham library and found the following information in the death sections.

Friday May 8th 1840.
In All Saints Stamford on Wednesday last aged 10 CHARLES second son of Mr Wm Richards shoemaker.

Friday May 15th.
In All Saints Stamford on Monday last aged 2 CHARITY 4th daughter of Mr Wm Richards shoemaker.being the 2nd who died within a week.

Friday Dec 25th.
18th December aged 15 SARAH ANN daughter of Mr Wm Richards shoemaker of North St Road(being the fourth of his children to die in 7 months).

I did not see Harriet/Hannah's death but will have another look next Saturday hope this information is useful.

Kathy

Kathy, thank you so much  ;D You obviously went out of your way for me and I appreciate that very much. So that confirms the deaths of Charles, Charity and the first Sarah Ann (yes there was another Sarah Ann as well as two Hannah's). Now I just need to find where they may have been buried. I would appreciate the offer to find the death notices for Harriet and Hannah if it is not inconvenient as once I have confirmed them, I have the family sorted from there.

Again thank you so much  ;D ;D

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 July 13 08:19 BST (UK) »
Burial register for Stamford All Saints showing the burials of Charles and Charity, both in May 1840.
http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=522437&iid=296597

Harriet's burial is on the the next page (image 124) and Sarah's on image 126.

Thank you pamthomas, I appreciate you looking for me. This link is not working for me. I have even tried going in by www.lincstothepast.com but it will not work. If I were to PM you my email address, could you possibly email the burials to me  ??? Having a look, I have noted that the site does not work for a number of people for no particular reason >:(

Offline pamthomas

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 July 13 11:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you pamthomas, I appreciate you looking for me. This link is not working for me. I have even tried going in by www.lincstothepast.com but it will not work. If I were to PM you my email address, could you possibly email the burials to me  ??? Having a look, I have noted that the site does not work for a number of people for no particular reason >:(
I tried it a few seconds ago, and it's not working for me either, so I would first of all suggest that you try it again another day, because it worked for me last night.
If you have a subscription to FindMyPast the Stamford All Saints burial images for 1840 are available there.  Images 118, 119 and 121.
Hannah's baptism is image 286.

Incidentally, I think that the Harriet who died aged 6 in 1840 is the Hannah who was baptised in October 1833. If she was baptised shortly after birth then the age would be correct as she wouldn't be 7 until August/September.
Hannah's baptism in 1833 is image 286 on FindMyPast.