Author Topic: St. Ambrose Church marriage records, Yarmouth, Nova Scotia - MILLER, William A.  (Read 9409 times)

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I would contact the Yarmouth County Museum as well as they probably have people who may do lookups. They have a lot of books on the area that won't be available in many places. Yarmouth County is quite large and covers many villages from the French Shore to the Tuskets. The Catholic parish will have whatever records exist as they don't tend to deposit them with any other archive sites at least here in Nova Scotia. The records will be either in the Nova Scotia archives or the parish. On line at NS archives it states the records are at the former Bishops residence.

It is quite possible they married in NS or Massachusetts. Travel between Yarmouth, Maine and Massachusetts was extremely common in the time frame you are looking at. Travel was by ship not land and trade very common. Also, the most common route from Yarmouth to New Brunswick would have been by ship up the Bay of Fundy to Saint John, NB.

Offline LindaM500

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thanks Valerie...

I've just sent a message to St. Ambrose's Church so I'll wait for a response there & then approach Yarmouth County Museum if needed. I'm reasonably sure that William & Jane married in Yarmouth as their families (if I have indeed found the right Clements family & she wasn't an Isner after all) were living next door to each other in 1881. They had all of their children in Yarmouth as well. William's mother Elizabeth, if I have indeed found the right person, could have married in either location although I'm leaning more towards Nova Scotia because of her birth location as mentioned in the second marriage record. It has been a very complicated family to work out because of all the remarriages & gaps in official records not to mention the fact that they seemed to swap Christian names by which they were known on a regular basis... My grandfather didn't really keep tabs on his family so we've lost a lot of important information. This has been the most difficult one for me to sort out of all my lines.
Morris, Ivamy, Pinhorn, Hills, Miller, Bentley, Gentles

Offline LindaM500

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: St. Ambrose Church marriage records, Yarmouth, Nova Scotia - MILLER, William A.
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 08:19 BST (UK) »
Just to let all of you know... I've had an email back from St. Ambrose's Church to say that they will have a look for the record for me. They have had quite a few family history requests of late so it will be a while before I get the final answer. Fingers crossed that this will knock a brick or two from that wall!! I'll post again when I've heard.

Offline LindaM500

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: St. Ambrose Church marriage records, Yarmouth, Nova Scotia - MILLER, William A.
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 11:53 GMT (UK) »
As promised, I am reporting back on the results from my request to St. Ambrose Church. Unfortunately, they have found nothing in their records.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 April 14 15:44 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is an active thread anymore but will post this anyway. The surname before becoming Canadianized could, if Prussian, have been Maehler/Meuller etc.
Since you can't locate William's marriage, you also need to look for the marriage of Charles (perhaps to an Emma)  Robert ( perhaps to an Agnes - yes, Agnes L Deveau see reply below) and also for James A (found a few but none seemed to be his )  in order to find the proper surname for Elizabeth. 
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~canns/yarmouth_ch.html

The lnot to be taken to the bank, as that surname could be anything, the person used way too much flourish and not enough good sense...ie: could anyone read this other than myself...???

Could the surname for Elizabeth be Marling...?? There were not a great deal of them in Nova Scotia but some below did move back & forth between Mass. & Yarmouth for work...related to mariners would help with that frequent moving about...
Didn't find a Clement but...

Barnard/Bernett Marling c. 1810 is married to an Elizabeth Landers c 1822 late in life having children in Yarmouth but appears to be working in Massechusetts 1870
1871 Eliza alone with the children ... The next door neighboura Landers... a master mariner  http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e325/e008119963.jpg
Her death inWorcester, Massachusetts  states her father to be Thorndyke Landers a family of mariners http://www.laurenandtristan.net/datafiles/p2624.htm

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3Amarling~%20%2Bbirth_place%3A%22nova%20scotia%22
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 April 14 20:11 BST (UK) »
I see now that the beginning of the surname matches "M"s on page but lacks a distinct centre stroke..is it an H.?  The very last letter is made backwards to a "g" so wondered if a "z" but can see no surnames that could be a match. Is third letter an a or a u it appears slightly open at top...we want the third letter back to be an "i" but it comes from the top at the left, argh...
the "l" could be  a "t" as others on page not typically crossed....
I wonder if the image they send you might be better than this scan....or if you could find the parish record for this wedding...
https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/ItemView.aspx?ImageFile=1839-27&Event=marriage&ID=124185
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 14 April 14 02:14 BST (UK) »
I think Robert's son Robert Joseph a.k.a. Joseph ( a sailor) may have been married to Jennie May Gardner
https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/ItemView.aspx?ImageFile=1910-53000199&Event=birth&ID=241585
But I do not see them in 1911... unless he is back with his mother? This Agnes a widow in 1911 and that Joseph not a sailor? Elizabeth may have been Agnes Elizabeth. Hard when they interchange middle names...
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=68257

That is correct, I looked at next page & Jennie is listed there for some reason as a boarder   http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/View.jsp?id=68258
so now need to look for a death for Robert...I don't see them in 1901

and found the marriage in Lynn, Mass. & the last name of Robert's wife... Agnes L Deveau
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11588-128797-17?cc=1469062  also gives a middle initial of J. for Robert sr.

Offline LindaM500

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 20:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your information J.J.

I had found the marriage record for Robert Sr.'s son and had come to the same conclusion as you about him belonging to that family. Agnes was listed as a widow in the 1911 Canadian census for Yarmouth County so that explains Robert Sr.'s disappearance. Agnes and her son Frederick are both buried in Our Lady of Calvary cemetery in Yarmouth but Robert Sr. must have been buried somewhere else or lost at sea? Most of the rest of my Miller clan are also buried in Our Lady of Calvary cemetery which helps to support my feeling that this Robert Sr. was the same Robert who was living with Elizabeth Evans & his brothers according to the Canadian census in 1871. Also, my Miller clan appear to have been the only Catholic Miller clan in Yarmouth County, Nova Scotia - I matched all the census returns against the BMD records I could find on the NS Archives site. As a result, I'm inclined to discount the records for James A. although I can say that the one you found who married Cora was my grandfather's brother so he descended from William. I also went through all the early directories for Nova Scotia where I reviewed every single name in Yarmouth County (not just the M's) but could find nothing that even remotely matched that difficult name. That will remain a mystery until I can look at the church registers themselves which are not in the public domain. Charles did indeed marry Emma who also seems to have gone by her middle name Mary by times. Likewise my great grandmother Jane Miller whose first name was actually Deborah.

The Marling suggestion is not really tying into this family as Eliza was Baptist while Elizabeth Evans remained Catholic throughout all the census returns, even despite her second husband having changed several times. This Miller clan was Catholic all the way through the generations that I've been able to find. She was also listed as French in at least one of the census returns so I'm half expecting an Acadian connection there although the first names of her parents don't appear to be particularly French.

Unfortunately, most of the death records & the very few birth & marriage records I've been able to find for any members of my Miller clan contain wildly contradictory information in them. This Miller clan is supposed to be Nova Scotian, Scottish & Prussian in origin depending on which census you believe. My great grandfather and his twin brother are supposed to have been born in Hyannis Port or nearby in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Nova Scotia on different days of different months somwhere in the middle of different years, depending on which census return & death records you believe. Several of them went by their middle names sometimes and first names at other times. The only consistent information I've come across is the fact that they were Catholic and that was carried right through to my grandfather who I got to know fairly well so I'm condifent in its accuracy. The contradiction I've encountered doesn't surprise me at all though - my grandfather liked to weave a good tale at any opportunity so I suspect some facts that were handed down from ear to ear through the generations may have been 'embellished' over time.  :-*