Author Topic: Help please! Morrisons in Collooney  (Read 13735 times)

Offline Lilyione

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help please! Morrisons in Collooney
« on: Sunday 14 July 13 07:43 BST (UK) »
Originated in County Sligo. Family Bible of Robert (Son) says  "Calhouney"  probably Collooney (about 6 Morrison families in Ballisodare parish over the years - 2 in Knockbeg part of the electoral district of Collooney);  possibly Coolaney (but only a Johnston Morrison found here in 1825). Sailed (probably in 1855 or 1856 (1901 Canadian Census and A newspaper writeup)  A newspaper writeup) on the Robert Morrison's 50th Wedding Anniversary says Robert was 12) to Canada aboard one of the last sailing ships. The only place we find Robert's parents mentioned even is on Robert and Mary's wedding registration. I have been completely unable to ever locate them in the Canadian 1861 or 1871 Census. With first names like John and Mary we cant even find a burial record as there are just too many John Morrison's married to a Mary. Further there don't appear to be any consistent family stories about the couple either. Family legends claim there was a son Hugh left in Ireland.
1. An Index of surnames of householders in Griffith's primary valuation and tithe applotment books - 1825 Co. Monaghan Co. Offaly Co. Roscommon Co. Sligo Co. Tipperary - FHL Film 0919006
Ballisodare (received 26 Feb 1826)
Croftum? - James Morrison
Battinobull: JAs Morrison
BAllinacarrow : John and MAtthew Morrison
Knock beg west: (almost unreadable)
Hugh Morrison (crofter) : area: 4 0 0
Arthur Morrison: 2 00
2 properties
John Morrison :4 0 0
Robert Morrison 4 0 0
2..  Valuation lists for Sligo County, Sligo Rural District, 1855-1966 by Great Britain. Office of the General Valuation of Ireland v. 13 Electoral division: Collooney - FHL  film  0868161
Knockbeg west NOTE: looks like a different valuation with a diff format and a John Morrison listed not Hugh (is this the third son left in Ireland) Did he come to ON later and was MAry living with him in 1871?????)
14 15 John Morrison ; Col Edward J Cooper lessor; Acres: #14 : 13 2 29 rate 10 10 0  #15: 18 3 30  rate 16 15 0; buildings 2
21 Mary Morrison same : Acres 1 1 32 Rate: Land 1 5  buildings 10s

3. General valuation of rateable property in Ireland, 1847-1864 (844993) has two Morrisons in the Collooney district of Ballysadare parish:
Knockbeg West 14-15 : Hugh Morrison (occupier); Edward J Cooper (Lessor); Description: Land house and offices; Area: 14: 13a 2r 3p; Area 15:  18a 3 r 39 p; RATE: LAnd: 14 10 pounds 10 shillings;  15 16 pounds 15 shillings ; Buildings 15: 2 pounds; Total (both properties) 29 pounds 5 shillings
Knockbeg West 17 18:
Knockbeg West: 21 Mary Morrison; Edward Cooper (lessor); land house and offices; 1 acre 1 rod 32 p(?)  RATE: land 1 pound 5 s house: 10 s Total 1p 15s
 Ballysadare parish a.k.a. Kilvarnet. Note that  this one is dated 1857 - after the John Morrisons had left for Canada. The two are Hugh (14-150 and Mary Morrison (21). both living at Knockbeg West a small area that is part of the Collooney district. (Knockbeg East and West adjoin the Town of Collooney). These are the exact same properties the John and Robert Morrisons were all on in 1827 AND in the  1855 English run Valuation as well (only Mary listed Robert obviously deceased by 1855.

Searching: Coulter, Morrison and Henderson, McDonough and McCommiskey in Ireland; Hall, Johnston, Dickson, Danskin in Scotland; Taylor, Maddocks/Maddox, Smith in Birmingham and Shropshire. Heselton in Yorkshire

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help please! Morrisons in Collooney
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 November 13 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

This may not be relevant but I noticed you have Coulters in your list of families as well as Morrison so this may be of interest. John Coulter (d 1889 aged 83) & Margaret Coulter (died 1913 aged 87) of Farnaharpy, Skreen were the parents of Annie who married William B Morrison.

William B Morrison was born c 1867. Further info: William B Morrison is in Farnaharpy in 1901 & 1911, & died 1927 aged 62.

My two Sligo families, Clarke & Livingston were from Skreen and Killoran respectively. So the Livingstons were in the same area as your Morrison family and the Clarkes married Coulters, which is how I happened to notice this Coulter /Morrison connection in Skreen.

Cheers

Linda

Offline rgriffith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 23:10 BST (UK) »
I have a connection to the Morrison family. My g g grandmother was Rebecca Jemima "Mima" Morrison b. 1882. I have a photocopy of a bible inscription that Mima had.  Mima was the daughter of Robert Morrison b. who left Ballymote, County Sligo, Ireland on May 16, 1843. His cousin – also named Robert Morrison gave it to him just prior to his trip to “America” (Canada). The bible belonged to Mima’s nephew Jerry Morrison, who lived on Ominica Street in Moose Jaw Sask. Mima had a younger brother Fred (1884) and a sister Ida (b. 1886). Ida married Wellington Barry. Fred’s son Jerry is the owner of the bible.

Here is that line:

Robert Y. Morrison

Robert Y. Morrison parents were Mathew and Mary Morrison as indicated by the following reference:

Marriage Registration 1881 - MORRISON, Robert Y., 45 years, res. Arthur b. Ireland, Widower s/o Matthew and Mary MORRISON  m. Mary RATHWELL , 32 years, res. Arthur, b. Montague, d/o Samuel and Rebecca RATHWELL at Kenilworth
[Public Archives of ON 01224581]

Mathew Morrison b. 1825
Descendants of Robert Y. Morrison

1     Robert Y. Morrison   b: 1823 in Ballymote Co. Sligo Ireland d: 14 Apr 1890 in Arthur Twp. Wellington Co
         +Mary Morrison   b: 17 Jul 1835 in Upper Canada m: 21 Feb 1850 in Tullamore, Ont.   
            d: 11 May 1870 in Arthur Tp.,  Wellington Co.
.........   2     Jane (Jenny) Morrison   b: Abt. 1852 in Tullamore (??)  Ont.      
.........   2     Sarah Morrison b: 1855 in Arthur TP. Wlgtn. Co d: in Maple, On
.........   2       William James (Yankee Billy) Morrison   
.........   2     George Hamilton Morrison b: 1860 in Arthur Tp. Wlgtn. Co d: 1919
.........   2     Mary Ann Morrison b: 1862 in Arthur Tp. Wlgtn. Co d: 26 May 1952 in Markdale, ON
.........   2     Margaret Ellen Morrison b: 1864 in Arthur Tp. Wlgtn. Co d: 16 Mar 1944 in Markdale, ON
.........   2     Matthew Morrison b: 08 Jun 1866 in Arthur Twp., Wellington County      
                        d: 03 Mar 1888 in Arthur Twp., Wellington County
.........   2     Robert Y. Morrison Jr. b: 1870 in Arthur Tp. Wlgtn. Co
      *2nd Wife of Robert Y. Morrison:         
          +Mary Rathwell      m: Abt. 1881   
.........   2     Ida May Morrison b: 25 May 1885 in Arthur Tp. Wlgtn. Co      
.........   2     Rebecca (Mima) Jemima Morrison   b: 28 Aug 1882 in Arthur Tp. Wlgtn. Co   d: 1915.   
.........   2     Frederick Henry Morrison   b: 1884 in Arthur Tp. Wlgtn. Co      

I am by no means an expert on the Morrison's. If this is making sense please contact me.

Griffith. Machan

Offline Lilyione

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 July 14 05:58 BST (UK) »
There seems to be a lot of duplicate names etc but it doesn't look like this is my family. Perhaps I am of the "cousins" line. Mine definitely came 1856. But there are not a lot of Morrisons in Sligo so perhaps....   Have you ever done DNA? you can email me at lhess at shaw dot ca (I am from Saskatchewan coincidentally).
Searching: Coulter, Morrison and Henderson, McDonough and McCommiskey in Ireland; Hall, Johnston, Dickson, Danskin in Scotland; Taylor, Maddocks/Maddox, Smith in Birmingham and Shropshire. Heselton in Yorkshire

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 22:41 BST (UK) »
How come not one person has given their religion? No point in looking at RC g/yards if they weren't RC etc. I have some g/yard photos for Collooney  C of I on IGP!

Haven't checked as I don't know religion... even some RC's were buried in C of I g/yards!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 22:47 BST (UK) »
File contributed for use in Ireland Genealogy Projects Archives by:
Gordon Lyons (*) April 21, 2012, 10:08 pm

Source:             Old Family Photo
Name:               Matthew Morrison

Date Of Photograph: ca1897
Photo can be seen at:
http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/sligo/photos/morrison417gph.jpg
Image file size: 240.3 Kb

Matthew Morrison (1826-1903), a native of County Sligo emigrated from Ireland
to Canada in 1852 with his new bride, Jane, nee Morrison, daughter of William
Morrison and Mary Ann Shaw. Matthew and Jane settled first in Peel County,
Ontario, where their first child, Mary Ann was born in 1853.  A short time
later they relocated to Arthur Township, Wellington County where a number of
other Morrison families from Sligo also settled.  Here they took up land at
lot 21, Concession 11, near Wagram. The township at that time was
predominately bush and it has been stated that Matthew’s brother-in-law showed
him how to chop down his first tree.  Here they prospered and raised a family
of eleven children. Matthew was the fifth child of James and Jane Morrison and
had eight siblings, Arthur, Robert B., John S., James, William C, Mary Ann,
Eliza, and Sarah Jane. Matthew is said to have joined the Irish Constabulary
at age sixteen, remaining with the force until he immigrated to Canada.

Additional Comments:
Matthew and Jane are paternal great grandparents, their daughter Eliza Jane,
(Mrs. John O. Lyons) my grandmother.

File at: http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/sligo/photos/morrison417gph.txt
This file has been created by a form at http://www.genrecords.org/irfiles/
File size: 1.9 Kb 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 22:49 BST (UK) »
File contributed for use in Ireland Genealogy Projects Archives by:
Pat McDougall (*)
 August 1, 2011, 10:19 am

Source:             Family
Name:               Mary Francis Clarke
Photo can be seen at:
http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/sligo/photos/clarke285gph.jpg
Image file size: 830.7 Kb

Mary Francis Clarke, born 1885 in Drinaghan, County Sligo, emigrated to the US
in 1904. This photo was likely taken about 1910 in Elizabeth, New Jersey. In
1917, she married John Smith, from County Meath.  (*)

This file has been created by a form at http://www.genrecords.org/irfiles/
File size: 0.9 Kb

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 22:57 BST (UK) »

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 23:02 BST (UK) »
As I don't know Religion here's all Clarkes on IGP g/stones...  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0186b/