Author Topic: Help please! Morrisons in Collooney  (Read 13736 times)

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help please! Morrisons in Collooney
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 July 14 03:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Hallmark,

Sorry I did not say but I am referring to Church of Ireland records for Skreen and maybe both Church of Ireland and Presbyterian for Killoran/Rathbarron.

I have visited both areas and have photos of the tombstone of both my gt-grandparents (Livingston/Clarke) and 2 x gt grandparents Clarke at Skreen, but thank for the links to other Clarke graves. My 2 x gt grandfather was Patrick Clarke b c1818 d 1915.

I have some knowledge of other Clarke families in Skreen as well as other families from the Cof I Parish if they connect to mine. This is why I mentioned the Morrison family.

Cheers

Linda (NZ)

Offline hmorrison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 August 14 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

My grandfather Johnston Morrison was from outside Ballysadare, which is near Collooney.  He was born around 1861 (He was a Constable in the RIC) - I believe his father was Hugh Morrison and Hugh's father was also a Johnston Morrison. They were Chuch of Ireland.

If my research so far is correct Hugh Morrison married a Margaret Archey.  After Margaret died, Hugh and the children moved to Yorkshire, England, where Hugh remarried a widow called Elizabeth Carlisle.
Morrison, Costello, King, Williams, Hanbury, Watt, Anderson, Shiach, Farquhar, Davies, Browne, Pierce, Simmons, Hamilton, Kirkpatrick, Bole, Archey, Halliday

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 August 14 00:08 BST (UK) »
I only have records for two sets of Morrisons in the Skreen records and neither match your family.

The main family is that of William B Morrison whose family is listed at Farranyharpy (or variants) in 1901 & 1911. In 1901 his mother in law, Margaret Coulter aged 83 was with the family.

The other is a William Morrison farmer of Killeenduff, son of William, who married on 22 Feb 1872, aged 23, to a Mary Jane Scott aged 26, dau of Robert Scott.

My gt grandfather's sister Jane Livingston married (1879) Thomas Black & they lived in Lugawarry, Ballysadare. Skreen was not their local parish so I would not expect your Morrisons to be in the Skreen records either. I do not have church records for Ballysadare.

Sorry I cannot help, except to suggest you check the Griffiths valuations for Hugh. He could have been a farmer. Two of my gt-grandfather's brothers, as well as my gt-grandfather were also RIC and their father was a farmer.

Linda (NZ)

Offline hmorrison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 August 14 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda,

My Morrison's lived in Lugawarry as well.

Morrison, Costello, King, Williams, Hanbury, Watt, Anderson, Shiach, Farquhar, Davies, Browne, Pierce, Simmons, Hamilton, Kirkpatrick, Bole, Archey, Halliday

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 August 14 03:52 BST (UK) »
I expect the two families knew each other then, especially if the Morrisons were still in the area after Jan 1876 when my gt-grandfather William Livingston joined the RIC, though I imagine that was a bit earlier than Johnston jnr joined the RIC. William's two older brothers Thomas & Jeremiah joined even earlier. Jeremiah in 1870 and Thomas pre 1875 (when he married in Co Mayo). Both Thomas & Jeremiah served in Co Mayo.

The RIC did not usually allow their constables to remain in their home county so after his initial training my gt-grandfather was also transferred to Co Mayo, in Aug 1876. He later transferred to Co Louth (1887) which is where he was made sergeant, and where my grandfather was born. William married Margaret Clarke of Skreen in 1888. Hence my Skreen connection.

I have a copy of William's RIC service record which is where I got the names & dates, but haven't obtained copies of the records for his brothers.

Offline Lilyione

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 31 July 15 04:38 BST (UK) »
I seem to have forgotten to  list the most important fact. I don't know for sure what religion my Morrison's were BEFORE they emigrated to Canada but they joined the  Methodists in Canada - belonging to both Primitive and Wesleyan Churches.  I know there wasn't a Methodist Chapel near them, and the first Chapel in Collooney was not established until the 1860's AFTER they left Ireland in 1856. I can see Morrison is not a common name in Sligo. There must be connections somewhere.  However, and this is pure speculation - my Morrisons may have been RC. For some strange reason in a family that seems to have all its roots well known and frequently discussed, absolutely nothing is known about the parents or potential siblings of my Robert. We wonder if perhaps his marriage to a protestant girl and joining the Methodist church might have sparked a division. My grandpa often talked about the family of MAry Coulter, wife of Robert, and his mother, but he never spoke about his Dad's family - ever. I was too young to notice. What I would give for a few more moments with him!
Searching: Coulter, Morrison and Henderson, McDonough and McCommiskey in Ireland; Hall, Johnston, Dickson, Danskin in Scotland; Taylor, Maddocks/Maddox, Smith in Birmingham and Shropshire. Heselton in Yorkshire

Offline Lilyione

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 21 August 15 00:43 BST (UK) »
 I suspect we must have a connection here somewhere. My DNA is on Ancestry, ftDNA  and gedmatch.  I will happily supply my kit # if you are interested and have DNA any of those places.
Searching: Coulter, Morrison and Henderson, McDonough and McCommiskey in Ireland; Hall, Johnston, Dickson, Danskin in Scotland; Taylor, Maddocks/Maddox, Smith in Birmingham and Shropshire. Heselton in Yorkshire

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Lilyione

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help please! Morrisons in Colloon
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 28 November 15 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Lil here again. I have had contact with another Morrison researcher  here in Canada. She is researching a James Morrison in Ontario but knows little else. We do match DNA so perhaps it is on the Morrison line