Author Topic: Marriage Look-up Cork Please c1828 Timothy Donoughue  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Marriage Look-up Cork Please c1828 Timothy Donoughue
« on: Sunday 14 July 13 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Can anyone do a look up please in Cork for the above Timothy Donoughue/Donoghue or similar variants 1828 + give or take 2yrs.

I am hoping he married an Ann Magrath/McCrate or similar as one variant is McCrate on one of her son's births 1848 Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England.

No marriage on IGI to check with.

Regards,

Annie.

P.S. I have put a post for the assumed wife in the Tipperary forum as that's where she was from if census records are correct.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Look-up Cork Please c1828 Timothy Donoughue
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 July 13 11:26 BST (UK) »
To search for details before the start of civil registration you usually require a more detailed  location e.g. the name of the town, townland or parish, especially when it comes Co. Cork as it's the largest county in Ireland.

see : Introduction to Irish Records
       My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

RC records only for parts of Co. Cork are available (free) on IrishGenealogy , transcripts of parish records for certain other areas in the county are available on the pay-website at RootsIreland
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 July 13 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Thanks for input. I got what I think may be the marriage from rootsireland page but if someone is close enough to do a look-up which would confirm I would be delighted.

Re place in Cork - Census in England as I'm sure you know, only gives Ireland apart from one census (1871) mentioning Cork - no specifics and there are no other records I can use to confirm an actual area as he would have been born 1801 - 1811.

Annie.

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 July 13 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Thanks for input. I got what I think my be the marriage from rootsireland page but if someone is close enough to do a look-up which would confirm I would be delighted.

Annie.
Does the marriage cert you got from rootsireland mention a placename?
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 July 13 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Annclare,

I haven't purchased a cert. yet.

I typed in his name with all areas to see what came up.
I typed her name in to see what came up.
Both came up with the areas they were born if I go by the 1871 census.
So process of elimination brings those 2 names to same yr of 1828 having married in their own birth town providing I am right.
So bottom line there is a marriage in Cork with his surname & a marriage in Tipperery with her surname.

I'm assuming banns were posted both home towns so hoping if I get a look-up they will both tie in and I can order the actual cert. as I have been told that the transcribed version on rootsireland is as costly as the actual cert. so knowing beforehand would help.

My search was to include name variants as there are so many floating around :-).

Annie

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 July 13 14:36 BST (UK) »
Its very doubtful - I would say highly unlikely - that there are records in two different parishes/counties  for the same marriage - the surnames you are looking for are not uncommon so it is more likely these are unrelated marriage records.

annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 July 13 14:57 BST (UK) »
As I'm Scottish I'm not totally sure how it works in Ireland but I have come across Scottish marriages with banns in 2 different areas where the couple were from different areas so it seemed a valid thought.

I have posted a request for a look-up of the Tipperary one too so I hope someone will do me a favour if they're in the vacinity of either to do a look-up.

It's so costly with the Irish, English & Welsh for wrong certs. compared with the Scottish system & I have spent many £££'s on wrong certs. for people with same names in same areas and whether B, M or D same year so it's worth checking out when we can really.

Annie.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 July 13 18:32 BST (UK) »
.....the surnames you are looking for are not uncommon so it is more likely these are unrelated marriage records.

agreed - the RC records on RootsIreland and IrishGenealogy are of marriages, not banns, so barring some sort of error I'd expect both names will appear in the same parish, and county.

....hope someone will do me a favour if they're in the vacinity of either to do a look-up.....

to do a search of the parish records you still need to know which specific parish is involved, as there are a large number of parishes - e.g. over 100 RC in Co. Cork alone. The other option is to purchase the transcripts (there are no certs for the 1820s) to find the partners names and the locations of the marriages, but dont believe they are going to match in this case...

Many parishes are not online, and some dont have records back as far as 1828.

Disregard anything you know about Scottish or English records, Irish records are different. To search for early details like you need to at least two vital details, denomination and a specific location. Our parish records are not all neatly online and searchable like Scotland's, and quite a number of parish records can only be searched by inspecting the relevant records on microfilm or looking at the originals
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 July 13 19:38 BST (UK) »
As I'm Scottish I'm not totally sure how it works in Ireland.
It's so costly with the Irish, English & Welsh for wrong certs.

Annie.

Thanks Shane but I'm only asking what anyone would, not KNOWING the in's & outs of how many parishes etc. in Cork. I couldn't tell you how many churches are in my area either  ::)

Re banns, not too sure about that either. I am Catholic, had Banns up in my local town in Scotland but was married in Cyprus so maybe I should get a book from the library and read up on things as it seems my request is a bother to you because I don't know the laws ???  ;D

I have already stated I had one record of his place of birth regardless which is the best I can come up with.

I am glad you have given me some info. on the facts just the same. I am hopeless at geography though. My mother was born in Portadown and for long enough I kept thinking it was County Down & still don't know much about either.

Annie.