Author Topic: Death San Francisco 1861  (Read 3843 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Death San Francisco 1861
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 July 13 22:05 BST (UK) »
Yes, I had re-read the thread but as I said had momentarily forgotten the reburial of the bones was some 80 years later in 1940. Answered my own question.

Thanks
Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 July 13 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra:

Thank you for your continued interest on this thread.  The more eyes looking and brains thinking, the better chance of finding things.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline ChristineM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 July 13 00:05 BST (UK) »
There is a death notice for Patrick in the Sydney Morning Herald 12 October 1870 in which it states he was a native of Kinvara, County Galway, aged 77 - http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article13217079
On the NSW BDM there is a death entry for Patrick Conlon, died 1870 parents:Malachi & Mary.
Christine.
AUSTRALIA: Farrelly, Boland, Harte
IRELAND:  Boland (Tipp), Dempsey (Cavan), Farrelly (Meath), Guerin & Harte (Clare), McGivern & McKenna (Monaghan), Traynor
SCOTLAND:  Dempsey (Edin), Welsh (Forfar,Arbroath,Kirriemuir,Kincardine), Milne (Forfar,Dundee), Barron, Bisset (Montrose)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 July 13 02:16 BST (UK) »
Great find, Christine.

Following up on that lead, someone was looking for this family (Patrick, not Catherine Phillips) in 2012:

Ashe, so you are trying to confirm that the Catherine Philip/Phillips who died in 1861 is one of the daughter's of Patrick and Catherine, correct?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline ashenique

• RootsChat Member
  • Still searching
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 July 13 07:44 BST (UK) »
This is fantastic - I tried to chase up the Kinvara reference to Galway for Patrick - and yes that is the Patrick Conlon - which is Catherine's father. But have had no luck - wondering if it is a generic reference. We have/had part of it Lisa - now we have it marrying up - I am guessing that from all of the information that it is working - no real definitive truth but it all seems to match - that is with this Catherine as the daughter of Patrick.
Thanks for all of the brilliant work on this.
Cheers

Offline ashenique

• RootsChat Member
  • Still searching
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 July 13 07:51 BST (UK) »
Forgot btw - Matt ( a cousin ) is researching the same line - but he is trying the direct approach to Ireland - I am trying the world trip. :) , and enjoying the scenery...

Offline cispt2

• RootsChat Member
  • HALL of Fenstanton
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 March 16 22:00 BST (UK) »
This is fantastic (this is Matt) - I tried and failed to solve this problem a few years back and this solves the problem.

FYI I just put a post on my blog about Patrick's father Malachy from Kinvara
http://thehistoryofmatt.blogspot.com/2016/03/finding-malachy-or-malachi.html

There's a lot more on Patrick on my blog: thehistoryofmatt.blogspot.com

For Catherine, she and several sisters are reputed to have left NSW for 'America' together - one person said they'd heard 4 sisters went (some were possibly born in Ireland, others after arrival in NSW). Another comment I have is specifically that the sister Elizabeth "married USA Johnston", Alice told Dad that the girls married miners who ended up as timber merchants."'

Might be tough to solve, but it's very likely that both Catherine (to Philip/Phillips) and Elizabeth (to Johnston) married in the US. What is the state of SF marriage records?

Matt
Banfield, Ewer, Staniland, Hall, Border, Quinane, Conlon, Alleyn, Moloney

Offline cispt2

• RootsChat Member
  • HALL of Fenstanton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 28 March 16 03:18 BST (UK) »
Just an add-on point; the re-interment record for Catherine Philip states under 'number of family buried' the number 2 - suggesting that someone else was buried with her. There are only a few other people with name PHILIP and none of those have matching plot numbers. Would be interesting to work out who it was!
Banfield, Ewer, Staniland, Hall, Border, Quinane, Conlon, Alleyn, Moloney