Author Topic: Need help in tracing Italian family  (Read 4231 times)

Offline Wexfordskid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Need help in tracing Italian family
« on: Sunday 14 July 13 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I started my family tree last year and have since then I have found out amazing things.
I have left it for a few months as I had a dead end but now I am back and hoping anyone could help me.
 On my maternal side I have as far back as great great great grandmother. I only have this as there is a source online showing she  signed a document for my great great grandfather to go join the war , he was listed "Canada , soldiers of first world war". I have no birth - death nor marriage for her only a name and a location. Her Name was Maria Mario Libbera Delpinto. That's what she came up as anyway. And she is located in the small enough town of Larino in Campobasso in Southern Italy. I also only know of one child (my great great grandfather) Pasquale Delpinto who was born in 1887 (I have alot of information on him).
 I have no idea on how to search Italian records, I found her son only because he lived in England and Canada. Any information on Maria or further even would be greatly appreciated

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need help in tracing foreign family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 July 13 15:46 BST (UK) »
Can you elaborate with some dates please?

I have no idea about how to help researching Italian families I'm afraid, but if you change the word 'foreign' in your subject to 'Italian', it might catch the eye of someone who has knowledge about Italian research.

You say you have a document signed by a ggggrandmother for your g grandfather to join the army? Was this the Italian army? And why would a ggggrandmother sign a form for her grandson (or would that be great grandson?)? I would have thought it would have been signed by a father or other male relative all those years ago.

Do you have the various certificates to back up your research? Is all of your research in Italy or is some of it elsewhere? (Your question doesn't make it clear)

It might help if you can clarify by giving the facts such as names, dates and places of birth and dates where known, and that might make it easier for anyone able to help to fill in the blanks.

Good luck.

Offline Wexfordskid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Need help in tracing Italian family
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 July 13 16:32 BST (UK) »
You will find that my original question's have now been modified ,thank you for pointing this out.

Offline emeloe1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 July 13 17:45 BST (UK) »
I have a friend who is also doing the same and is in a similar situation!  She was helped greatly by an organization called My Italian Family.  I think that's what it is called! Thought I would throw my 2 cents in!   I have been helped so much by the people here on rootschat that I am sure you will make a breakthrough!  :)
Erica

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 July 13 01:41 BST (UK) »
You will find that my original question's have now been modified ,thank you for pointing this out.

That's quite a bit clearer.  :)

Do you have all the available birth, death and marriage certificates from both Canada and England, which may give father's or other family member' names?

Also perhaps obituaries (if any deaths occurred in UK and Canada) may give information about families especially if the person was well known in the community and had an interesting background.

Something else which you have probably already considered or done is obtaining war records.
Immigration records?
Naturalisation records?

I realise this does not help you with your Italian family but some of the documents may contain further information about relatives back in Italy.

I hope you get more help with this - as I said I have no experience with Italian research. Good luck!

Online Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 July 13 16:20 BST (UK) »
HI,

I hope you don't mind but I'm posting a link to your other thread about Pasquale etc. to save duplicate research,

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,644649.0.html

Maybe a Mod will be able to merge the threads.

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 07:35 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I started my family tree last year and have since then I have found out amazing things.
I have left it for a few months as I had a dead end but now I am back and hoping anyone could help me.
 On my maternal side I have as far back as great great great grandmother. I only have this as there is a source online showing she  signed a document for my great great grandfather to go join the war , he was listed "Canada , soldiers of first world war". I have no birth - death nor marriage for her only a name and a location. Her Name was Maria Mario Libbera Delpinto. That's what she came up as anyway. And she is located in the small enough town of Larino in Campobasso in Southern Italy. I also only know of one child (my great great grandfather) Pasquale Delpinto who was born in 1887 (I have alot of information on him).
 I have no idea on how to search Italian records, I found her son only because he lived in England and Canada. Any information on Maria or further even would be greatly appreciated
Delpinto was her married name
have you searched www.familysearch.org for
blank delpinto
marriage
italy
1860 -1887
spouse   Maria Mario Liberra   leave surname blank

ONLY Pinto shows...strange ...no Delpinto marriages ??? - is the Del in Delpinto an English thing ????
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 July 13 14:20 BST (UK) »
(I can merge if you like, but as the other thread is not currently active it is fine to just leave it linked)

From the other thread, you have the birth of her son as in Larino from the Canadian/shipping records, so the first stop would be to obtain his birth record, and then see if there is a marriage record in the same area.  If you have a LDS family history centre near you, the easiest way would be to order the microfilm as suggested on the other thread (this way you can check for siblings, etc). 

Otherwise, you need to write to (I think) the "Ufficio dello Stato Civile" in Larino to obtain a copy of his birth certificate (and possibly the marriage).  There are plenty of form letters around, but you may want to ask on an Italy-specific genealogy forum for advice as I don't have personal experience in writing to Italy.  If it's anything like France/Belgium, expect a long wait and occasionally just no reply at all.  If you can find an email, turn around may be quicker but you still may need to send money by post (I've had some luck with concealed cash + international reply coupons for postage but money orders etc. may be a better bet).

Optionally, you could also obtain the English marriage certificate which will hopefully have his father's name.

Other notes:

The Canadian record actually says "M Mario Libbera Delpinto" e.g. could just be mother, Maria(sic) Libbera (maiden name? misspelt?) Delpinto.   You can search here: http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/index-e.html and get information about how to order his full file if you are interested.

Italian women are often on records under their maiden name (the same thing happens with some other European countries) - so for example if she'd come to visit him while he was in Canada she might not be under "Del Pinto".
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline steve62

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 August 13 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I live in Italy and it is true here that they either take forever or never reply, from experiance trying to help one of our members and I managed to get something, but the rest - stll waiting.
First of all if you have not got the BC for Pasquale Delpinto 1887, I could e-mail the Comune of Larino and make a request.  This will show both his parents and maybe an address.  The records offices here do not make charges for such informazione.
Secondly there is an error somewhere; Maria Mario Libbera Delpinto.  Maria is female and Mario is male.  So wondering if wife and husbands names have been mixed ie Maria Libbera or Delpinto and husband Mario Libbera or Delpinto. 
I will give you any help you need, just let me know where you would like me to start and also can you explain this Maria Mario Libbera Delpinto and where it came from.

Steve
Boaler/Bowler/Boler - UK/Canada/USA/Australia
Hamer - UK
Mendle - Russia/UK
Goldstein - Russia/UK
Mazorkoff - UK/USA
Kapatofsky - Russia/Uk/USA
La Camera - Italy