Author Topic: Thexton Birk Moss and Helsfell  (Read 3042 times)

Offline Kenneal67

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thexton Birk Moss and Helsfell
« on: Sunday 14 July 13 16:54 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a bit of help regarding my ggg grandmother Mary Raven ( nee Thexton). She died from tuberculoisis aged 23 in September 1867 at Helsfell, Strickland Kettle ( I am thinking Helsfell Hall). Her mother Jame Thexton of Birk Moss ( farm) was present at her death.
I am hoping to find the location of both Helsfell and Birk Moss as I am visiting the area in August.
I am also trying to find where Mary may have been buried as I would like to visit her grave if at all possible.

Any help greatly appreciated...............

Offline suzyf

• RootsChat Senior
  • 4 Generations of Strong Women
    • View Profile
Re: Thexton Birk Moss and Helsfell
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 July 13 21:08 BST (UK) »
Helsfell farm a listed late C17 building  NW of Kendal ,W of A591 just before junction with A5284 Windermere. Helsfell barn 200m S E is prob remains of original hall. Current Helsfell hall to east is a later building.
Birk Moss farm ,SW of Crook (west of Helsfell) off B5284 ,south on Back Lane then footpath south.
I'd go into Kendal Record Office and look for her death to find out which church.
Sue

Westmoreland -Farrer,Thompson,Park,Wharton,Airey
Lancs  Farrer ,Thompson,Clarke,Brewer,Reid,Howarth,Feast,Sladen,Southern

Ireland(Offaly)Reid
London -Feast

Offline Kenneal67

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 July 13 21:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sue

I have her death certifiacte so is there extra info at the record office that can tell me about her burial place?

Offline suzyf

• RootsChat Senior
  • 4 Generations of Strong Women
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 10:01 BST (UK) »
the record office has the Church records so they would tell you the likely church to search before you go looking for an actual grave. Sue
Westmoreland -Farrer,Thompson,Park,Wharton,Airey
Lancs  Farrer ,Thompson,Clarke,Brewer,Reid,Howarth,Feast,Sladen,Southern

Ireland(Offaly)Reid
London -Feast

Offline Crossfell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 July 23 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hello, I’ve no idea if this message is still being viewed/followed up but I am also connected to the Thexton’s of Birk Moss. I think your relative, Mary was probably an older sister of my Grt Grandmother Margaret Dobson, nee Thexton born 1852/3. Interestingly the property that I think was Birk Moss Farm was recently the prize in an international prize draw and is now on the market for £2.75 million!! If you have more info about the Thexton’s, particularly John & Jane (nee Plaskett) and their family then do please let me know. You also should look up the Thexton pano lineage. It’s fascinating and supposedly goes back to pre conquest  England. If you Google Gary Thexton of Australia, he is the guy to talk too about accessing it. Good luck, Duncan