Author Topic: BOYD family from Argyll, Scotland-did they immigrate to AU  (Read 4295 times)

Offline Carolbea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BOYD family from Argyll, Scotland-did they immigrate to AU
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 August 16 06:08 BST (UK) »
Just a note of appreciation to say thanks to all for the threads of information that has gone before

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 August 16 07:58 BST (UK) »
Following from the death index entry found by  neb_maat_re Reply #6

Not much help, but at least it means he's still in the running...........

PROV has a will for Alexander BOYD, of 521 Victoria St, West Melbourne, Railway guard, died 24 December 1894.  Bequests to his wife, Sarah Jane and to his children - unfortunately not named except for the eldest, who is the executor of the estate: Hugh BOYD.  There is no mention in the will of the name "McKeller", and his forename is listed as 'Alexander' rather than the 'Alex' on the death index entry.  He signs his name as 'A Boyd'

As you have already found the death index entry states that he was aged 48 at his death which fits quite well with the birthdate you have given.

This is possibly the marriage for this man and Sarah Jane
Victoria 1873 # 2044
Alexander BOYD
Sarah Jane BURROWS

Someone with better resources may have a birthplace listed for this man.

I see 4 births to this couple - if it is your man none of the names except for Hugh seem to follow the usual Scottish naming pattern which may mean something, or nothing  ::)
Hugh, 1874, reg Melbourne; father: Alexander McKellar BOYD
Allen 1875, reg Footscray; father: Alexander BOYD
Elsie, 1882  reg Hotham; father: Alexander BOYD
Sarah Alice, 1883 reg Hotham; father: Alexander BOYD

Perhaps this is this man's immigration:
Sep 1870, per ship Colonial Empire from Plymouth to Melbourne
Alex C Boyd, 23, rly guard
Estimated birth year:   abt 1847
Nationality:   Scottish
Unassisted - i.e. paid full fare.
http://prov.vic.gov.au/provguide-50

As I said - just a possible  :-\
Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 August 16 13:15 BST (UK) »
Birthplace given as GLASGOW for Alexander BOYD who married Sarah Jane BURROWS.

Another marriage record in VIC....
Alexander BOYD from ARGYLESHIRE
in 1878 to Elizabeth Purvis JONES
Reg #2079

Essie

EDIT: Sorry wrong Alexander .... he was a son of Malcolm and Jane
This family on world connect.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 August 16 16:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carolbea or bringing this post back to life  :)  Thanks also for today’s input judb and Essie.  Have downloaded the marriage cert and can now confirm that the 1873 Sarah Jane Burrows marriage is the right one, although Alexander’s father Hugh is recorded as an Inn Keeper (he was really a forester) and Alexander was born in Argyll, not Glasgow.  Everything else fits.   

Alexander Boyd, 27, Railway Pointsman, born Glasgow to parents Hugh Boyd, Inn keeper, and Annie Boyd, maiden name Cameron married Sarah Jane Burrows, 20, born Oldham, England, the daughter of  George Burrows, Engine Driver and Elizabeth Burrows, maiden name Buckley.

Bringing other threads about this family together, it’s interesting to note that Alexander Boyd, his brother, John Cameron Boyd and his sister Ann Boyd’s husband, Henry Brown were all employed by Vic Railways.

brigau

Offline Carolbea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 August 16 22:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks brigau for that info on Alexander Boyd marriage in Victoria. Am amazed at the speed of this Rootschat process so thanks for all the past years posts to all. I noted the Innkeeper occupation for Alexander's family in another Boyd post. Lost Hugh Boyd and second wife Mary Cameron in Ardgour in 1861 and while possible they had died given Alexander and possibly Hugh were with family in the Ardgour area I wonder if he left the forestry there and they became  Innkeepers somewhere else and in the interim in 1861 the remaining children remained with family?

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 August 16 23:22 BST (UK) »
Who were the witnesses for Alexander's wedding?

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 August 16 23:33 BST (UK) »
It’s hard to know isn’t it?  It seems quite common for people to ‘reinvent’ themselves after emigration so I hadn’t put much store on Hugh being recorded as an Inn Keeper when I hurriedly posted this morning.  The 3 marriage certs I have seen so far:

1867 Sarah McEachern Boyd – Alexander H Corbett marriage:  Father Hugh Boyd, a Gentleman
1872 John Cameron Boyd – Elizabeth Boxhall marriage: Father Hugh Boyd, a Forester
1873 Alexander Boyd – Sarah Jane Burrows marriage: Father Hugh Boyd, an Inn keeper

The family is recorded as a unit in Cuil, Ardgour, Argyll in 1851 with father Hugh a forester, after which the children scattered, arriving in Victoria at different times (apart from Ann & Sarah who travelled together)  Will keep looking for the parents though.

Judb, I really can't decipher the witnesses!  See attached snip

Added: Could the top one be Emily Burrows and the bottom one William Thompson?

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 August 16 00:39 BST (UK) »
I agree - looks like Emily Burrows and William Thompson.

Where did the marriage take place?

Judith

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 August 16 00:57 BST (UK) »
Hi again Judith,

Married by Peter Mercer, Presbyterian Minister in Melbourne, at West Melbourne Manse, Lonsdale Street West.  Bride and groom both of Melbourne (no street address given).  Permission granted by George Burrows, father as Sarah Jane was under 21 years

brigau