Author Topic: Furnace  (Read 4446 times)

Offline ally101

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Furnace
« on: Sunday 14 July 13 23:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone

This is my first posting, I work in our local primary school and are doing a project about the local people from our village from 1876 onwards. I have started digging up all kinds of great interesting stuff out the local families, if you have any information about your family that you would be willing to share with me I would really appreciate it. We are interested about the kinds of living conditions, family stories, jobs etc. 
many thanks :)

Offline angusm1939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Furnace
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 15:59 BST (UK) »
It seems a pity for no-one to respond so I thought I would kick things off. My Granny lived in Furnace, at two separate addresses, for much of WW2. It was to keep her safely out of Glasgow, I guess, so her life there was probably not very interesting but the children may find some interest in following up some of the names and jobs below.

She was born Mary Ann MacKechnie and her grandfather born in 1817 was Lachlan MacEachrane, a dancing master in Campbeltown. She was the widow of John MacMillan born in Crarae, whose family used to carry the big family Bible in a pillow slip to the 'Wee Free' at Minard. John's father was Angus MacMillan from the isle of Benbecula, a descendant of the great bard, Cathal MacMhuirich. John's maternal great grandfather was William MacFarlane who, from 1800, was a weaver at Goatfield but also a piper on the cutter 'Swift' that used to look after the smaller boats in the Loch Fyne herring fishing fleet. John's maternal great grandmother was Janet MacPhedran whose own grandfather was John MacPhedran the changehousekeeper and ferryman at Crarae and was the first to be buried in the graveyard at Killevin in 1758. The MacPhedrans had originally been given the ferry rights at Portsonachan on Lochawe by Robert the Bruce and Neil Campbell for saving their lives at sea in a storm just after 1300 and they ran the ferry until 1700 when the move over the hill to Loch Fyne took place; the repeat charters are all at Inveraray Castle.

I hope there may be a few unfamiliar jobs there that engage the children's attention! Best wishes with your project. Angus Macmillan

Offline ally101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 August 13 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Angus

Thank you so much for getting in touch. You have given me plenty for the children to look into as part of our project.

Best Wishes

Ally Robertson

Offline WendyMacP

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 16:06 BST (UK) »
Ally101 - I've just seen your request for information about families in Furnace. I'm a cousin of Angus MacMillan. Are you still interested in knowing about the MacPhedran family? All my relatives are from that area from before 1900 and into the 1700s. Many of us are buried at Crarae. Ann Craig is a Furnace resident and was very helpful to me when I was researching my end of the MacPhedran family back in 2007.                                        Wendy MacPhedran

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Wendy - nice to see you on RootsChat as well as elsewhere! :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.