Author Topic: Llanelidan Baptism lookup please  (Read 4655 times)

Offline jones9

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Llanelidan Baptism lookup please
« on: Monday 15 July 13 00:34 BST (UK) »
I have a marriage record for a John Jones in 1743, who it says was was born in Llanelidan, so I wonder if anyone could let me know what likely Baptisms there are for John Jones between 1710 and 1728?

Many thanks!

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Llanelidan Baptism lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 July 13 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi jones9

My Vital Records Collection shows:

John Jones Christened 7 May 1715 Holt, Denbighshire. Father: David Jones

There is also 1 in 1731 with father, John and two in 1734, one with a father of Robart and one with a father of John
Baxter: Lanarkshire, Slamannan
Jordan: Lanarkshire, Staffordshire
McFarlane: Lanarkshire
Mitchell: Ireland to Scotland, Canada & New Zealand
Farrell: Lanarkshire, Ireland, New York
Fagan: Lanarkshire, Ireland
Hogg: Lanarkshire, Ireland

Offline jones9

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 July 13 00:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Drop Bear,

Many thanks for quick reply and looking this up! Reading it back now, my question doesn't seem very clear, but I mean I have his marriage record in Corwen, and I've calculated a probably birth range from his marriage date. It says on his marriage record however that he was born in the parish of Llanelidan, so I don't suppose you have access to the full parish records? I've tried on Findmypast, but they only seem to have post 1813 records for this parish unfortunately!

Many thanks!

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 July 13 01:22 BST (UK) »
Sorry about that, FS has a Baptism 27 March 1713, Llanelidan, and says the image is available on FindMyPast

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KCPP-4SN
Baxter: Lanarkshire, Slamannan
Jordan: Lanarkshire, Staffordshire
McFarlane: Lanarkshire
Mitchell: Ireland to Scotland, Canada & New Zealand
Farrell: Lanarkshire, Ireland, New York
Fagan: Lanarkshire, Ireland
Hogg: Lanarkshire, Ireland

Offline jones9

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 July 13 12:58 BST (UK) »
Drop Bear,

Many thanks for this!

Jones9

Offline jones9

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 14:11 BST (UK) »
Drop Bear,

Sorry to re-open this thread but are there any other details about this baptism, such as father's name?

At the time this didn't fit in with the John Jones I was researching, now by a different route I'm back on a John Jones who married Hannah Goodman in Lanelidan in 1730 and died in 1783 and I'm trying to find his birth - and this 1713 one seems quite possible!

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Jones9,

The entry reads: 1713 John fil Simonis Jones & Jana Thomas bapt Martii 27.

Jana is Jane, or Sian in Wales. 

There is also something looking like vz (or bz but it's not like the b in bapt) between Jana and Thomas; don't know what it means sorry - was going to attach an image of the vz but I don't appear to be able to  ???

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline jones9

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 23:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Deirdre,

I don't think it's the right John Jones after all! Are there any John Joneses prior to 1710. For him to marry in 1730 he'd be too young if be was born any later I think.

His children were Richard, John, Henry and Thomas so perhaps father had one of these names?

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 August 13 10:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Deirdre,

I don't think it's the right John Jones after all! Are there any John Joneses prior to 1710. For him to marry in 1730 he'd be too young if be was born any later I think.

His children were Richard, John, Henry and Thomas so perhaps father had one of these names?

The only one I can find in Llanelidan was baptised on 17 March 1697.... transcribed as son of Godard and Dorothia but I think it actually says Eduardi and Dorothea  :-\

The record has what looks like 'ob infans' in the margin.. does this mean 'died as an infant'?

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....