Author Topic: Lookup Please - Dunedin Lunatic Asylum Records - Help  (Read 2911 times)

Offline ashenique

• RootsChat Member
  • Still searching
    • View Profile
Lookup Please - Dunedin Lunatic Asylum Records - Help
« on: Monday 15 July 13 07:55 BST (UK) »
If anyone is going near them - .... "Alfred Motherstone"
What is the easiest way to see the Dunedin Lunatic Asylum records for the year 1868, in Australia.
A distant g~grandparent had this written about him - and I would like to put the picture together...
this article make the story more intriguing.

Bruce Herald, Rōrahi V, Putanga 230, 23 Mahuru 1868, Page 5
We, ‘Daily Times,’ mentioned a few days ago that Constable Hunt and Mr Colclough had been stabbed by a lunatic at the Cardrona ; but that the wounds were not, in either case, likely to endanger life. We now learn that Alfred Motherstone, the lunatic, was a labourer, and had for some years lived, alone, in a hut at Butcher's Flat. Of late, he had frequently threatened violence to those who approached his hut. The police were communicated with, and Constable Hunt was sent from the Arrow to arrest the man. On the morning of the 10th inst., Hunt, who was on foot, went near the hut, being followed by Mr Colclough on horseback. Hunt called to Motherstone, who was in the hut, "Come out, I want to speak to you." Motherstone rushed out "like a mad dog," it is said, at Hunt, who struck him with a stick. Motherstone retreated, but almost instantly made a second attack, and again he retreated on being struck with the stick. Hunt fired his revolver twice over the madman's head, thinking so to frighten him ; but the man rushed on again,- knocked Hunt down, and stabbed him repeatedly with a large knife, like that used by butchers. Hunt cried, "I'm stabbed;' and then Colclough ran in, and, in attempting to ward off a blow aimed at Hunt, he himself received a wound 7 ins. to 8 ins. long, and very deep, on the fleshy part of the left arm. Some men who came up carried Hunt to the hut of a man named Kearns, while others overpowered Motherstone, and handcuffed him. Hunt was very weak from loss of blod ; and Colclough bled so freely, that he fainted from exhaustion while walking home. It was found that Hunt had six nasty wounds on the left side of the back. Some of the madman's blows were struck at Hunt in front; but Hunt's life was most providentially saved by the knife striking his watch, which was thoroughly shattered. Motherstone is to be brought down to the Dunedin Lunatic Asylum.

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup Please - Dunedin Lunatic Asylum Records - Help
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 July 13 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hello...

We're not allowed to wander in off the street and start thumbing through Mental Health registers. If the record is older than a certain date (normally a hundred years) you are allowed to view it but you need to let Archives know who you're researching.

The first step is to start a "Wellington Archives Look-up" thread. You need to know Alfred MOTHERSTONE's Patient Number. It should be in the following index...

Index of Patients [28.10.1853 - 22.11.1910]

http://archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=8674016

....which is an alphabetical index of all of the patients at all of the asylums in NZ between 1853 and 1910

Using the Patient Number you can then use Archway to find the corresponding Register. For example, if the Patient Number is between 2 and 2647 the corresponding Register is the one you've already mentioned.

You then need to contact the Archives which hold the corresponding Register (most likely Dunedin Archives). You tell them when you or your proxy plan to visit Dunedin Archives. When you visit the staff will arrange it so you can see the relevant pages of the Register and no other pages.

Or at least that's the theory :)

Regards
Beg

Offline ashenique

• RootsChat Member
  • Still searching
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 July 13 12:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Beg - I wondered about the process. Thanks for the explanation - will need to do more homework - thanks
Ashe

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 November 13 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ashenique,

Yesterday I requested a search of the file mentioned above by Beg Clonrode for Alfred MOTHERSTONE. Archives tell me that his name does not appear in the file.

Index of Patients [28.10.1853 - 22.11.1910]
http://archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=8674016

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 05:41 GMT (UK) »
It may pay to contact Dunedin and ask for their help,in Auckland we are able to request to view the huge Register of committed patient admissions ,there are approximately 8 of these with open access,they are wonderful treasures with a lot of information on each patient,sometimes there is even a photo. Each patient has a double paged entry,

Cheers Janette

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 May 15 07:07 BST (UK) »
Images sent, provided by kind courtesy of New Zealander. :) 8)

Spades
HEALEY - IRL?
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG

Offline pixiemyers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 August 15 02:32 BST (UK) »
I am also looking for Dunedin Lunatic Asylum Records for Alfred Motherstone.

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 August 15 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Pixiemyers, and welcome ;D

The original poster, Ashenique, may be willing to pass on the information to you.

I suggest that you reply twice more to this topic (even just a couple of smiley's will be fine) in order to activate your Personal Message (PM) facility. Then you and Ashenique can discuss the matter in private.

Spades
HEALEY - IRL?
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG

Offline pixiemyers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 August 15 12:34 BST (UK) »
Further to my last post I am encouraged by spades to perhaps add here that Alfred Motherstone who was sent to the Dunedin Asylum in 1868 died in Seacliff in 1884 - I am thinking at the Seacliff Asylum perhaps.  :) ;)