Author Topic: Henry/Harry Parker Swimming Professor Ilfracombe Devon  (Read 9796 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry/Harry Parker Swimming Professor Ilfracombe Devon
« on: Tuesday 16 July 13 22:46 BST (UK) »
Im looking for information about the Parker family. I have a 1901 census taken at The Baths at Ilfracombe,Devon listing as head of household Henry Parker born 1849 at St Lukes,Middlesex,the son of William Parker (b1826 Essex) and Louisa Parker (b1826 Hadlow,Essex). Living with Henry Parker is his wife Ellen. Ellen was born Ellen Rowe 1857 at Monmouthsire,Wales, the daughter of Robert Rowe(1830-1884) and June Bynum Scump(1834-1925).Also living with Henry and his wife are their children Henry Lloyd Parker,born 1892 at Ilfracombe and two other children (which I have no interest in).

Henry Parker senior was a famous Victorian swimmer who is referred to in all newspaper accounts as "Harry Parker". In the 1901 census Henry was the manager of the baths at Ilfracombe.His son Henry Lloyd Parker is most often referred to as Harry Parker junior and was a well known swimmer in his own right, who also worked at the same baths in Ilfracombe as his father.

For reference and more information about Henry senior and his son see the website www.tunnelsbeaches.co.uk who have a souvenir booklet with photos etc of these two men and other information about the history of the baths. This booklet was published in 2010.

Here is what I want to know (1) when and where did Henry's wife Ellen die (2) when and where did Henry Parker die (3) What happened to Henry Parkers son Henry, who I found in the 1911 census as a visitor at Tottenham,Middlsex with the Matthew Maylam family.Henry junior is single,a professional swimmer.With Henry junior is his 15 yr old sister Helen Louise Parker. After 1911 I have no information for him.

Also of interest to me is what happened to Henry seniors sister Miss Emily Parker, born 1861 at Clerkenwell. She was a famous swimmer also and there are lots of accounts of her exploits on the internet. The last record I have for her is the 1881 census at Clerkenwell where she is age 20, a teacher of swimming. Any details about her getting married/children and death are of interest to me.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry/Harry Parker Swimming Professor Ilfracombe Devon
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 12:55 BST (UK) »
Good Afternoon
Sorry to say I've not got what you wanted but I though I'd pass on what I have and it may help.
Henry Parker senior is a widow on the 1911 census in Ilfracombe so wife Ellen must have died 1901-1911.
Henry Lloyd Parker is in the 2nd/4th Oxfordshire and Bucks Light Infantry in WWI-can only spot medal card.
London electoral register
Spelthorne 12 West Road London 1938
Frank Parker,Henry Lloyd Parker ,May Hilda Parker and Sarah Harriet Parker.
I know it's not much,but maybe someone else will spot more.
Ciderdrinker
ps there is a Helen Parker age 46 died Barnstaple Sep 1902 5b 274,could that be the wife?

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 13:03 BST (UK) »
Know this totally out there but also newspaper mentions of Henry Lloyd Parker 1925 comedian at Derby Hippodrome on Find My Past
Emily is mentioned in the Exeter Gazette 1883.Also FindMyPast.But as you say not with the family by 1891.
Ciderdrinker

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 14:07 BST (UK) »
Regarding 1911 census for Henry Parker. What did the census say about his occupation and who else was in the household?

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 19:32 BST (UK) »
From FreeBMD - Deaths
Henry Parker, age 84, Barnstaple, Dec 1932, 5b 506
Ilfracombe comes within the Barnstaple Reg District

The North Devon Journal reported Professor Harry Parker celebrating "three score years and ten" on his birthday Monday 12th Sep 1918. The above death would fit Harry's age in 1918.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 19:37 BST (UK) »
The North Devon Journal, 8 Dec 1932, reported that Professor Harry Parker died "Sunday last".

Survived by one son and one daughter.

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 20:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information about Henry Parker's death.Very useful!

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 July 13 11:18 BST (UK) »
Would the person who sent the information about the North Devon Journal in regards to Henry Parkers birthday and death be able to send me a scan of the two articles as I am interested in more detail about what else the articles had to say about Parker. You can sent by personal message if you prefer.

Now that his date of death has been established as December 4,1932 ( working back from the article dated Thursday Dec 8,1932 to "sunday last") can anyone provide information about where and when he was buried? Is there a photo of his headstone? Is there an article about his funeral?

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 July 13 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi
Looking for the 2 children who died.
I think one of them is probably Helen Parker born and died Sep 1889 Barnstaple.
Then probably another between Henry and Helen.
May and Walter E. died Dec 1891 age o
Rosaline Ada o died June 1892
Charles Robert 0 died June 1893
William 0 died Sep 1894.
without ordering the certificates it's impossible to say which is yours.
Ciderdrinker