Author Topic: Re-enactments  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re-enactments
« on: Sunday 12 June 05 20:49 BST (UK) »
Is anybody else in here doing them (go on hands up), myself, my husband and the two children do, we  are in a group that deals with Iron Age Ireland, were just back from a weekend staying in a ring fort in Wexford.
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
Re: Re-enactments
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 June 05 00:52 BST (UK) »
It's seems to me that your son on the left has done a time-warp thing to WW1 (propping up the pillar in your personal doodahs) - or would that be strong genes? - Deborah
Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 June 05 08:00 BST (UK) »
 ;D yes similarities between them and other members of my family is uncanny, my genes seem to heve won out over my husbands.
Sharon

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 18:21 BST (UK) »
I also put my hands up only I am some centuries later. The 17th C in fact. I am a member of the English Civil War Society and go all over the country re-enacting. Am off to Wythenshaw for a Living History with skirmish, this weekend and August Bank Holiday will be down at Powderham Castle near Exeter.

I reckon it's great to get away from the 21st century rat race even if it's only for a couple of days at a time.

Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline Menfreya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Used to do C17th re-enactment. However we haven't done it for a bit due to the birth of our son. Maybe when he is a bit older we can get back to it, but at the moment he can't live without Bob the Builder and he wasn't around during the Civil War! Also I'd never get him in a dress, of course he would not be breeched yet being only four.

Have done the Powderham Events a couple of times now and had a great time. And have spent happy evenings at the Atmospheric Engine!

Ah the smell of woodsmoke always gets me!!

I miss going BANG! :)

Menfreya
Names Researching in Staffordshire: Booth, Brassington, Flanagan, Foy, Holt, Knott, Shaw, Simcock, Thursfield.

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 August 05 07:54 BST (UK) »
Have just got back from Powderham after spending a great 7 days there. Got some great bruises on my face but that wasn't due to the battles.

It was too many Pimm's at the Pimm's party on Friday night. I walked too close to a tent and tripped over a guy rope and hitting my face on the next tent peg.
Gave me fantastic authentic look especially as the commentator had told the public that some gunners were mercenries and some had come over from the low countries after many yewars wars there. I fight on a small battalia piece where we go all over the battlefield.

Jean

McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 August 05 09:17 BST (UK) »
 ::) I know what's that's like I have fallen head first into the ditch around the ring fort too many times (it was dark I tell you, I'm not that clumsy honest)

Offline Man of Kent

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 September 05 01:36 BST (UK) »
THIS WEEK

AT THE beginning of September Rochester will come alive with the sight and sound of a spectacular Son et Lumiere that explores the conflict between the church and crown several hundred years ago.

The Son et Lumiere can be viewed from Rochester Castle Moat and admission is free. It’s an opportunity not to be missed as the castle and Rochester Cathedral are brought to life in a light and sound spectacular.

The Son et Lumiere takes place from Thursday, 1 September to Sunday, 4 September nightly at dusk. The first show each night begins at 8.30pm and will last for about 20 minutes. Other shows will follow at 9.15pm and 10pm each night.

The event is exploring the often volatile relationship between the church and the crown in a dramatic and unique show, demonstrating that there are always two sides to every story.

It’s a great opportunity to combine a visit to see the Son et Lumiere with eating out in Rochester at one of the many restaurants and pubs that sit along the High Street. Please note that the event may include strobe lighting and visitors are advised to bring warm clothing and an umbrella in case of inclement weather.

Meanwhile, on Saturday, 3 September and Sunday, 4 September a Medieval Fayre is being held in Rochester Castle Gardens. The idea is to compliment the Son et Lumiere. The fayre runs from 11am to 5pm on both days.

It will include re-enactors and visitors can expect to experience a wide range of daily activities from knights being dressed to sampling medieval cookery and hand-to-hand fighting.

The schedule for the 3 and 4 September are: -

11.00 Drill display (archers required for this)

11:30 Arming the knight, plus arms and armour talk

12:00 Firepower talk

12:45 Drill display – kiddie drill

14:00 March through the town

15:00 “Arming for Warre” in the authentic camps – Troops will be within

their camps putting on armour for the coming battle

15:30 Muster in authentic camp, both sides march to the arena

15:45 Main battle

16:30 Arena events completed

17:00 End of show

On the Saturday night there will be an evening parade at approx 7pm and an evening skirmish in the Castle moat at 7.30pm.

^ Back to top

Offline Sue53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 September 05 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi
  My son is a member of this group, and they visit all over the country putting on shows and having a good time as well.   Sue.
http://www.longshank.com/
Paternal;
Pembrokeshire...James,Jenkins,Howell,John,Scourfield,Rees,Skone,Cook.
Essex...Lofts, Reader.
Maternal;
Berkshire...Beckenham,Bacon,Gibbons.
Ulverston...Beckenham,Postlethwaite.
Muker & Burnley...Alderson,Parker,Lee.
Flyde...Hodgson.
Liverpool...Clark.

This information is Crown Copyright from WWW.nationalarchives.gov.uk