Author Topic: Where did Grandma work?  (Read 5664 times)

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where did Grandma work?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 July 13 22:04 BST (UK) »
 Just been on the internet Ron and it is still available. Quite a lot of sources. Best of luck V.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 July 13 13:04 BST (UK) »
I've just found the book on Amazon, various copies available but at £22+ each, so not a cheap book.  Did you find it anywhere else Viktoria?  I'm interested as my g.grandparents lived very close to that area of Manchester from 1870s and my gran and her siblings were born there too and I'd like to read Mary Bertinshaw's autobiography, but at £22+ that's quite a lot of money to pay, especially when one of the sellers states the original rrp was £4.95 ::)

Lizzie

Modifed - I've found some cheaper ones now, but even cheaper I decided to order it from my library via the inter library system.

Offline Elaine168

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 July 13 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Viktoria

My G grandmother was born in 1860 a small village in Shropshire, Acton Burnell near Shrewsbury. On the 1881 census she is aged 21 and working in Manchester at 13 Piccadilly, The Mosley Hotel, as a Housemaid Domestic.
I'd imagined that maybe employers went to country areas to recruit staff, or at least advertised. Her sister was also in the Manchester area for a time. I too imagined the shock of inner city life for a young girl from the country. But, it's easy to forget that she came from a large, very poor family. Perhaps there were some benefits from city life, like more food, running water, and perhaps more heat in winter? In her case she met my g grandfather, and they immediately set sale for New York, and then Texas where she had 3 children. They returned by 1901, and she eventually returned to Shropshire where she died at the age of 49, and was buried, although her family stayed in Salford.

I don't know if that helps at all?

Elaine
Hodson, Dearden, Croft, Redman, Mather (all in Lancs), Davies (Salop) Murphy, Daly, Worton (Ireland)

Offline Elaine168

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 July 13 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hello

I just searched on line and found this available to read

Workers' Worlds: Cultures and Communities in Manchester and Salford, 1880-1939
 By Andrew Davies. It refers to Sunrise to Sunset.

Elaine
Hodson, Dearden, Croft, Redman, Mather (all in Lancs), Davies (Salop) Murphy, Daly, Worton (Ireland)

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 July 13 19:35 BST (UK) »
 lizzie, I`m so glad you are going to get to read it.It is really interesting and written just as Mary Bertenshaw spoke. I have spoken with her on the `phone many times and she was very helpful in my search for things about my family and where they lived ie Bronze St. Telling me about the  59 steps whch led down to Collyhurst road and she sent me a present of the book. I had bought one but used it so much and lent  to people  that it was falling to bits. I got my first copy from the shop in the part of the Town Hall near Central Library by the gardens in St. Peter`s Square.
           Kind regards. Viktoria.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 July 13 19:48 BST (UK) »
 Elaine, both your replies are very interesting and useful. I will follow them up.
 Who knows , I  may find where she was in those few intervening years.She must have been in the vicinity  of Bronze St. because in the 1891 census my grandfather  was with his mother at Reather St, he was at Worth St on the marriage cert  1896. Bronze St and Worth St. were very close together on either side of Dalton St. I`ll look at my dad`s birth cert to see their address then(1897)  She would not have entered a public house being a strict Particular baptist, so where she met him is a mystery.  But if the don`t solve any queries the info you have given me will be interesting to read anyway. Thankyou again. Viktoria.