Author Topic: 1st Officer Edward Peterson  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Warwicksoption

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1st Officer Edward Peterson
« on: Monday 22 July 13 02:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am trying to trace Edward Peterson who was born in Norway and lived most of his 20 -30  year time period in Dunedin, New Zealand. He was born in March 1851 and obtained his Master Mariners Certificate in 1884. The number was NZ351. He left NZ in the early 1890's and the Lloyd's Captains Register last shows him on a Ship called "Jason" believed registered in NY.

There is a reference number:98995 which refers to the voyage in 1898 on the 3rd Sept 1898 in the West Indies and Gulf of Mexico.

Edward was either 1st or 2nd mate on this ship and I have been unable to find anything of him of the ship in my inquiries.

Is anyone able to suggest any course of further inquiry of help me here?
Kind regards
Warwick

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Officer Edward Peterson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 21:39 BST (UK) »
If you look at ellisisland.org and search by ship there is a Jason there, the earliest listing of which is 1892.  There are a lot of Edward Peterson's listed in crew lists, if you have a bit more information, such as approximate year of birth, age of enlistment etc I will gladly do a quick search for you.
Klein, Comiss, Theobald, Hanney, Bernath, Salomonovics, Yakimovsky, Putney, Barlow, Beard, Gibbs, LeVierge, Tree, Trinder, Carter, Malpass, Crampin, Spurgin, Warner, Parker, Medcalf, Amer, Arnold,  Connelly,

Offline Warwicksoption

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 02:44 BST (UK) »
Greetings and many thanks for the reply.

I apologise for the delay but I am in the midst of switching countries of residence and I have been otherwise distracted.

I have heaps of information about Edward and I will pass the main points I think you may require if you would be so kind to do a check.

Edward was born in Christiana, (now Oslo) Norway, on the 23rd March 1851 and this information was from the Union Steamship Company records when he worked there as a Mate between 1883 -89 in Dunedin New Zealand. It was als confirmed on Norwegian Records.

He came to NZ in the mid 1870's, got married and became a Certified Master Mariner on the 28/10/1884. Lloyds Register of Captains confirms Certificate Nr 396 was assigned and I have a copy of it.

He gained NZ citizenship in 1889 and left for Australia in 1893 working ships in that region.

A check of the Lloyds Register in London revealed in 1896 he was on the vessel "Craigearn"
reference /8/102680 6th October, SA (Brazil, River Plate). There was a word "(a?liax)" that could not be fully read and I don't know whether that is important.

My last information about Edward is that in 1898, he was on the vessel "Jason" and on the Lloyds register  it had (ny) beneath the name of the vessel.

The Lloyds reference /s/98995, this refers to a voyage, the 98 being a port number where the vessel was registered. The date of voyage was 3rd September reference W1 (West Indies and Gulf of Mexico).

Any help you can give would be really appreciated. I will go more into the site you referred to once my house shift has been completed in about 7 weeks.
Kind regards
Warwick

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 14:41 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry but I did some digging, and can't seem to find him in very many places.  I looked into the Jason that went to Ellis Island, but it did not doc there in 1898-the closest 1897.  I found electoral rolls for 1880 and 1890 which place him in Port Chalmers, Otago, New Zealand.  I was also able to find a n Edward Peterson born abt 1850 born in Norway, departing from River Forth and arriving in Sydney tin June 1878 on the lookout.  There are two other lists I found with a Norwegian Edward Peterson being born in about the same year as yours, but it lists him as a laborer not a mariner.

I could not find evidence of the Jason even going to the West Indies either.  Maybe the NY means something else besides New York???

I know you said he left NZ for Australia, and I am unsure of his wife's name but there is an Edward Peterson in Manawatu-Wanganui, New Zealand-married to an Annie that was accidentally killed in September of 1927.

Sorry I could not be of more assistance.
Klein, Comiss, Theobald, Hanney, Bernath, Salomonovics, Yakimovsky, Putney, Barlow, Beard, Gibbs, LeVierge, Tree, Trinder, Carter, Malpass, Crampin, Spurgin, Warner, Parker, Medcalf, Amer, Arnold,  Connelly,

Offline Warwicksoption

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 August 13 10:27 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your assistance. My research of Edward has taken about 25 yrs and I do have ample information about him. Unfortunately I am having trouble after 1898 when the Llyods Register says he went on the Jason.

Thanks again for your help.
Cheers

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 September 13 08:52 BST (UK) »
this site link gives port codes > 

http://www.infodriveindia.com/traderesources/port.aspx

and maybe the discussion "A check of the Lloyds Register in London revealed in 1896 he was on the vessel "Craigearn"
reference /8/102680 6th October, SA (Brazil, River Plate). There was a word "(a?liax)" that could not be fully read and I don't know whether that is important. ",   is reflective of that "(a?liax)" that u mention.

Just as a general purpose titbit,   in Morse code there is an equal list comparing to the site I gave but since Morse is not used anymore, I would not like to say where you would find the numeric code list for ports.

Offline Warwicksoption

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 September 13 02:50 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your efforts and it is appreciated. Sorry about the delay in responding to you but I am in the midst of shifting from country to country.
Once again thanks