Author Topic: Four years of wasted research Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!  (Read 11825 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Four years of wasted research Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 08 November 14 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Flattybasher's advice would amuse many of us. But we have all been there. Prior to easier on-line access I thought for years that a greatgrandfather and ggmother lived on one street, and wondered about children of theirs I'd never heard of, based on family information.
Online, I probed further because there were bits that puzzled me. There were two men with the same first names and surnames, the same name for the wife, and three names of children in common. They lived in the same town, close together. All ages were close enough to be relevant, but THE RIGHT ONE WAS THE OTHER ONE, not the railwayman that I'd been provided with, but the joiner a few streets away!! I'd been chasing the wrong family for the wife, ( I've only recently got her pinned down, but beautifully) having the wrong surname from the wrong marriage ... thank goodness something rang an alarm bell, and I took it all apart, and found the right reference material in the end. It taught me not to take ANYTHING on trust without checking, checking, checking, - and I do usually chart out the "elimination by comparison over the years" to help me keep it all clearly in my mind. Thank heavens for A2 sheets of paper, and l-o-n-g rulers!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 08 November 14 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Why worry. Post it on Ancestry, see how many copy it, and have the last laugh  ::) ::) ::) ;D

In the immortal words of Dick Emery, Malky: "Ooooh you are awful - but I like you!"  ;D
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 08 November 14 18:13 GMT (UK) »

Despite nearly 40yrs of searching, - I am still completely unable to find my late Grandfather, William James Wilson, Born (Apparantly) Manchester 1860 - Died Hendon 1937, - anywhere prior to his Marriage in Swansea in June 1893.

I have followed the wrong path so many times! (Common names(((

I know how you feel...

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 08 November 14 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Why worry. Post it on Ancestry, see how many copy it, and have the last laugh  ::) ::) ::) ;D

In the immortal words of Dick Emery, Malky: "Ooooh you are awful - but I like you!"  ;D
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!....... I was going to quote that!!
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline HarrisonHart

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 13 December 14 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Think of all the fun you will have, starting all over again.
I have been there and it better second time round.
Rob
This.  While I feel so terribly for you, I am sure what took you four years the first time round will take you a year or less the second time round, and you're highly skilled and wont miss a thing for your actual family tree.  AND you brought to 'life' a whole family who otherwise lay dormant.  You thought of them.
Angela, Perth, West Australia.

Harrison: Garston (L'pool), Dublin, Athlone, (Irl), Madras/Chennai and Burma (British India/India) and Sth Africa, and Australia.
Hart: Garston and Woolton (UK), Roscommon (Irl).
McC(h)rystal: Garston, Wigan, Desertmartin (Nrthn Irl), Canada, USA, Australia
Miller: Garston and ?Ireland/?Wales
Jones: Garston and ?Ireland/?Wales
Boyle: (Derry, Irl)
Gill: Garston L'pool UK, and Ireland.
Cannon: Woolton and Roscommon
Callaghan: Unknown.
And more.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 13 December 14 18:54 GMT (UK) »
I bet there are not many researchers out who haven't climbed the wrong tree at some point and created a hybrid  ;D ;D ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 13 December 14 19:03 GMT (UK) »
At least you have noticed your error, many are still climbing the wrong tree, totally oblivious.  :)
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 13 December 14 19:05 GMT (UK) »
...and passing it on  ::)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 13 December 14 20:06 GMT (UK) »
I fail to see how a researcher can follow the wrong tree when the old procedures are carried out.

When a “name” is found the first thing to do is to check if there are alternative candidates. Look at other available records for the area to determine how common the name may have been in that place.

If there are any then a process to exclude each candidate should be started, if any candidate cannot be excluded it is dangerous to proceed further.

Only when the candidates have been pruned in this way should you look for other evidence to corroborate the information you have discovered. Try to find three or four other records to substantiate the theory before moving on.
Evaluate the sources holding the information, ask what does this source record, why was it recorded, is it a primary source or a secondary source.
When using official records as sources ask yourself if they are original records or official transcripts.

Question everything, re-evaluate frequently and note your reasoning to allow it to be evaluated later.
Don’t ignore any conflicts of evidence that contradict each other they could be the very points that show your theory is false.

It is all to easy to take short-cuts and take things at face value but that is when mistakes occur.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.