Author Topic: Four years of wasted research Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!  (Read 11821 times)

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
Four years of wasted research Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
« on: Tuesday 23 July 13 17:08 BST (UK) »
A cautionary tale!

I really started delving into my family history about six years ago. My cousin had told me that "my" Vincent family originated in Dorset and sure enough I found the trail through my paternal grandfather into the Dorset Vincents.

Oh, how wonderful a find was Dorset OPC. How lucky was I to be looking into the records of possibly the most "online" county in England? Oh, the joys of finding the Govers of Milborne St Andrew, the Vachers of Milton Abbas and the Bishops of Fordington.

How wonderful to visit the church where my grand-great-grandfather was married and is buried. I loved reading "Under the Greenwood Tree" based on my Chamberlain ancestors' church in Stinsford

My new year's resolution was to revisit each ancestor and verify the accuracy of the supporting evidence for the connection. Why didn't I notice the discrepancy revealed by the 1911 census and my Ancestor profile that showed my grandfather living in two places?

Guess what! :-[

My grandfather is the other one  :'(
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: Four years of wasted research Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 17:13 BST (UK) »
It's not wasted - it was practice for this time around when you are going to research the correct family!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 17:22 BST (UK) »
Don't feel bad. I spent lots of time the other day tracing what I thought was a relative and descendants before I realised that there were 2 cousins with the same unusual first name born about a year apart, both married women named Ethel Mary and giveing their children similar names! If I hadn't found 2 death certificates (1939 and 1951) I'm still be tracing the wrong family.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 17:24 BST (UK) »
We all do it sometimes, I thought I'd found my g.gran and her parents and siblings and was happily researching them, when it occurred to me that the place of births shown on the census were wrong.  Same county, different town, but the "wrong" parents and siblings all had the same names as my g.gran and her parents and siblings.  How weird is that.

Offline 7igerby7he7ail

• RootsChat Member
  • Where are they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 21:55 BST (UK) »
If only my paternal great grandfather had put his first name Thomas, instead of his middle name William on my grandmother's marriage cert. I wouldn't have wasted 4 years worth of research.
A William with the same surname lived only 4 doors away and I assumed [sigh] that he was the one
 In the 1901 census he even had a daughter with the same forename as my grandmother. It wasn't until the 1911 census when she had been married to my grandfather for 3 years did I realise my mistake. A completely different birthplace to what I was expecting,. It only took a couple of hours to trace back to my GGG grandfather, I then contacted someone who had the tree already back 6 generations. A learning curve, and I always urge caution and check,check,check to any beginners.

Tiger BTT
Tree
GAUNT N Staffordshire,GAUNT Manchester.GUY,Shropshire, BARTLEY,Salford, Lancs, NEVILLE,Salford. PHILLIPS,Staffs, MAYER,Staffs,COSSAR,Berwick, E and Mid Lothian and Argyll. HIGGINS,Glasgowand Dunoon,Argyll.GALLAGHER,Argyll,IRISH,Herts.

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 22:35 BST (UK) »
I have a few lines that I know so well, I consider them to be family even though they turned out to be incorrect. I still think of them from time to time. If their actual descendants would post on rootschat I'd have a ton of information for them  ;D
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 10:29 BST (UK) »
A cautionary tale!
Guess what! :-[

My grandfather is the other one  :'(

AH!! .......... you have gained by this circumstance ...... remember 'The Process of Elimination' via which you can apply the 'Diagnosis of exclusion'.
We all need to do this in family history.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 July 13 18:19 BST (UK) »
Sympathies.  I too have been there   >:(
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 14:09 BST (UK) »
It only took a couple of hours to trace back to my GGG grandfather, I then contacted someone who had the tree already back 6 generations. A learning curve, and I always urge caution and check,check,check to any beginners.

Tiger BTT

Couldn't agree more.

Including checking every single one of the assertions made by the person who already had a further 6 generations for you, and satisfying yourself that their evidence stacks up!!

(Necessary corollary - when you supply information to somebody else who comes asking, don't be offended when they ask you for your evidence!!)
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright