Author Topic: age when married  (Read 1083 times)

Offline tiawooster

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
age when married
« on: Wednesday 24 July 13 08:48 BST (UK) »
My great grand uncle John Alfred Brookes was born in Snenton, Nottinghamshire 1856. Parents Thomas & Mary Ann Brookes, now according to the records he married Catherine Newman, from Leicestershire in 1867, which means he was 11 years old, is this possible. Their son John William Brookes was born 23 May 1873, I have his birth certificate [ if its the right one] , that how I found out the name of his mother. Can anyone shed any light on his age.
many thanks
Mary
Alley, Nottingham, Wandsworth, London
Brookes,  Sneinton, LondonNottinhamshire, Leicestershire
Cochrane, Glasgow, London
Caley, Durham, Yorkshire
Schofield, London, Hampshire
Solomon, London, Portsmouth
Williams Mary Ann, Middlesex
Twelftree
Bramley, Loughorough,  Leicestershire, Ireland, Scotland

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: age when married
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hardwicke's Marriage Act of 1753 fixed the minimum age at 14 for males, and 12 for females.

Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 10:06 BST (UK) »
My great grand uncle John Alfred Brookes was born in Snenton, Nottinghamshire 1856. Parents Thomas & Mary Ann Brookes, now according to the records he married Catherine Newman, from Leicestershire in 1867,

If I have the right person, in 1871 John Alfred Brookes aged 14, born Sneinton, was unmarried and still living with his parents Thomas and Mary in Nottingham.
RG 10 / 3513 / 72 / 7
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 10:09 BST (UK) »
The John Brookes born Snenton 1856 parents Thomas and Mary Ann appears to still be single as late as 1911. Have you found your John with Catherine on censuses?

Jan ;)

ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 10:22 BST (UK) »
John Alfred Brookes is NOT the John Brookes who married Catherine Newman in 1867.

In 1871 and 1881 John is 14 and 24 respectively and is unmarried and still living with his parents.   His occupation is Picture Frame Maker.   In 1891 still unmarried and a Painter living with widowed mother.

The John who married Catherine Newman was a Rope Maker.

There is an online tree (yours?) which has a copy of the birth certificate I think you are referring to - 23/5/1873 was a Charles William, not John William (typo?).   However, whilst this child is a son of a John Brookes and Catherine Newman it looks like he may have died Sept.qtr.1881 Leicester! 

Census shows a Charles W. bc.1875 as grandson to Thomas and Mary and I think his birth is more likely to be the Charles William Brookes birth reg'd Dec.qtr.1874 Nottingham.    (Suspect he was possibly illegitimate son of T & M's daughter Elizabeth).

It definitely would appear that John Alfred Brookes never married - he is single on every census.

In conclusion - I believe the certificate you have for Charles William is the wrong one for the grandson of Thomas and Mary.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tiawooster

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 July 13 11:41 BST (UK) »
Just to say thank you to everyone for all their help
Mary
Alley, Nottingham, Wandsworth, London
Brookes,  Sneinton, LondonNottinhamshire, Leicestershire
Cochrane, Glasgow, London
Caley, Durham, Yorkshire