Author Topic: Brophy Family of Kilkenny City  (Read 21230 times)

Offline EssB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Brophy Family of Kilkenny City
« Reply #9 on: Friday 25 October 13 21:53 BST (UK) »
James Brophy and Mary Mines were my great-great-great-grandparents. As you may already have discovered, they were married on November 16th, 1835 in St. Patrick's parish, Kilkenny. Unfortunately, the names of their parents were not recorded in the marriage register, but the witnesses were William Brophy and Catherine Kelly.
In Griffith's Valuation of property in Kilkenny, published in 1849-50, James Brophy is listed as leasing a house, yard and garden in Walkin Street Upper from Mrs. Susanna McCreath. Living in the same street was Lawrence Mynes, who was leasing a house, offices, house and garden from Mrs. Susanna McCreath. It is possible that this Lawrence Mynes is the Laurence Mines who was recorded as baptismal sponsor to the the first Laurence Brophy, born 1845. If so, it seems likely that he was related to Mary Mines Brophy--possibly her father or brother.
His son John's marriage certificate records that James Brophy was living at 9 Cook Street, Dublin in August 1866. I'm not sure whether that means that the whole family had moved to Dublin by that date. It is certain that a number of the children of James and Mary ended up living in Dublin. The eldest, Johanna, was living at 10 Nicholas Street, Dublin, at the time of her death, which took place on May 20th, 1875. She is buried in Glasnevin Cemetery. William, the youngest, was living at 25 Cook Street, Dublin, at the time of his death, which took place on March 16th, 1896. He is buried in the same grave as his sister Johanna and his nieces Mary Anne (died 1870) and Johanna (died 1921), daughters of his brother John. John was living at 32 Queen Street, Dublin at the time of his marriage to Jane Fagan on August 28th, 1866. Over the rest of his life, he lived at around 10 different addresses in Dublin. He died on October 27th, 1910 and is buried in Glasnevin.
If you are interested, I can give you a list of the children of John Brophy and Jane Fagan.
Best wishes,
EssB

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 October 13 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hello EssB

I have some of John and Jane's children but I know I don't have all of them so yes please give me that info. I would appreciate it very much  :)

I have most of the info that you have given so we are definitely on the same wave length.

As I mentioned three of the Brophys (with family) went to Liverpool in 1914. I know this date as some of the children of the Brophys were registered in school there in 1914. I have that record. What I don't know is who the other two are that also left Dublin.. Do you have any connection to Liverpool by way of family?

Unfortunately I must now sign off as I have to go make dinner for my family...... ::)

mab
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline EssB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mab.
Here is a list of the children of John Brophy and Jane Fagan:

1. Kate (Catherine), born 9 June 1867 at 38 Queen Street, Dublin; died 13 Nov. 1878 of Scarlatina at 21 Upper Camden Street, Dublin.

2. Mary Anne, born 15 Dec. 1868 at 4 New Row, Dublin; died 18 Jan. 1870 of Bronchitis at 4 New Row West, Dublin.

3. Mary Jane (my greatgrandmother), born 11 Aug. 1870 at 4 New Row, Dublin; died 11 Feb. 1941 of Hyperthyroidism at Ross, Mountnugent, Co. Meath. She married William Ahern of Ross Quarries in 1887 and had 14 children.

4. Anne (Annie), born 31 Jan. 1873 at 3 Merchant’s Quay, Dublin. She was unmarried and living in Dublin at the time of the 1911 census. I don't know what happened to her subsequently.

5. Johanna, born 14 Feb. 1875 at 3 Merchant’s Quay, Dublin; died 16 Oct. 1921 at 40, South Circular Road, Dolphins Barn, Dublin. She was unmarried.

6. Jane, born 30 Nov. 1876 (OR 30 Dec.) at 21 Lr Camden Street, Dublin (?Upper?); died 18 Nov. 1878 of Scarlatina at 21 Upper Camden Street, Dublin.

7. Ellen, born 27 Aug. 1878 at 21 Upper Camden Street, Dublin; died 21 August 1899 of Phthisis (TB) at Ross, Co. Meath. She was unmarried.

8. Catherine (Kate), born 19 Nov. 1880 at 6 Queen’s Square, Dublin; died 28 Sept. 1953 in Dublin. She married Leo Martinus Parker in Dublin on 3 July 1911 and had at least 2 children.

9. James, born 2 Oct. 1882 at 33 Sandwith Place, Dublin. He was unmarried and living in Dublin at the time of the 1911 census. I don't know what happened to him subsequently.

10. Jane, born 9 Jan. 1884 at 1 Finglas Road, Dublin; died 20 Mar. 1900    of Meningitis at 39 Lennox Street, Dublin.

11. John, born 1 Dec.1886   at 22 Temple Cottages, Dublin; died 3 Feb. 1896 of Bright’s Disease at 35 Lennox Street, Dublin.

12. Christina, born 28 Dec. 1888 at Ross, Mountnugent, Co. Meath. She was unmarried and living in Dublin at the time of the 1911 census. I don't know what happened to her subsequently.

I have no knowledge of Brophy family connections in Liverpool. As far as I know, the only one of Laurence's brothers who was alive in 1914 was Patrick. Please let me know if you find out more!

According to his burial record, William was married. Have you any information about his wife, and children, if any?

Good luck with your researches.
EssB         

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Goodness I didn't know he had this many children. Thank you for this information.

I haven't been successful in finding a marriage for William either...as yet. There is always hope:)

Of the children of Laurence Brophy born 1853 I know that it was his son Laurence born 1879 that did go to Liverpool with his wife Annie (nee Brady) and his children. It's a strong possibility that James born abt 1882 also went. The reason I say this because he is living with his brother Laurence's family in 1911 at 31 Lower Bridge Street, Ushers Quay Ward, South Dublin. Laurence's name is spelt with a w in the census....ie Lawrence. The strangest thing is in the same household there is an uncle Laurence Brophy which makes no sense as his father was a Laurence.

Recently my husband's second cousin hired a genealogical research group in Dublin to research the Brophys. They believe that Laurence Brophy born 1853 may have been counted in two houses. Once as himself with his second wife and once as this "uncle". Who knows:)  I have seen people double counted elsewhere.

What made me feel good about their findings is that what I have found so far was correct:)

I was looking at a John Brophy in Walkin's Lough in the Tithe Applotment records of 1823-1837 and wondered if he may be the next generation back.

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/results.jsp?surname=brophy&firstname=john&county=Kilkenny&townland=&parish=&search=Search&sort=&pageSize=&pager.offset=20

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004625714/004625714_00070.pdf

mab

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 26 December 15 00:08 GMT (UK) »
From Book "In the shadow of the Steeple"   Number 12   page 63
The graveyard and memorials of the Collegiate Church of St Marys, Gowran, County Kilkenny by Mary Casteleyn and Bernie Kirwan.

William BROPHY of the Black Quarry*, died 1798 age 52
Also three of his children (unnamed)
His brother James Brophy died 1787  age 24

Philip BROPHY died 1776 age 63.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilkenny_Marble

Link about Kilkenny Marble mentions Black Quarry

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 December 15 15:07 GMT (UK) »
That's very interesting :)

I believe that the John Brophy in Walkin's Lough in the Tithe Applotment records of 1823-1837 that I mentioned previously married a Judith Delaney 13 May 1804 at St Patricks.

I found the following baptisms for some of their children: Patrick 1805, Eleanor 1809, Mary 1810, James 1813, Anne 1819, Judith 1821 and William 1823.

The place of residence frequently mentioned was Black Quarry. That makes sense as they were a family of stone masons.

I think that the James 1813 is the one that married Mary Mines in 1835. I haven't really got any firm evidence just gut instinct...LOL

Now who are William, James and Philip?.....hmmm. I have to think about that :)

mab

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello EssB

I don't know if you're still around but I discovered some more info about the Brophy/Brady/Keys families buried in Glasnevin Cemetery at their website.

http://www.glasnevintrust.ie/genealogy/results/index.xml

If you are not still visiting Rootschat it may help out other members of this family who are doing research and may one day come across this discussion.

Grave LH 261.5 St Bridget's Section

Mary Brophy died 29 Mar 1955 age 68, spinster. (she is the daughter of Catherine McDermott and Laurence Brophy below)
Laurence Brophy died 23 Jan 1923 age 61, married, stone cutter
Catherine Brophy died 8 Aug 1889 age 11 months, stone cutters child
Kate Brophy died 22 Sep 1888 age 32, stone cutters wife (this is Catherine McDermott)

Grave BK 300.5 St Bridgets Section

Mary Brady died 3 Nov 1937 age 78, widow, labourers wife (this is Mary Keys)
James Brady died 24 Mar 1901 age 43, married, labourer
Patrick Brady died 29 Nov 1890 age 1 week, labourers child
John Patrick Brady died 26 Mar 1885 age 1 year, labourers child

Grave WK 284 St Patricks Section

Bridget Farrell died 5 Mar 1926 age 61, widow, labourers widow (this is Bridget Keys who married Patrick Farrell. She is the daughter of John Keys and Elizabeth Mullaly)
John Ledwith died 26 Nov 1915 age 4 years 4 months, soldiers son (he is the son of Elizabeth Brady and John Ledwith. She is the daughter of James Brady and Mary Keys. John Ledwith's father was in the armed forces in 1915 when his son died)
Anne Keys died 01 Mar 1915 age 56 single, cook ( I don't know who she is but I think she must be a daughter of John Keys and Elizabeth Mullaly)
Elizabeth Keys died 25 Sep 1903 age 73, widow, housekeeper (this is Elizabeth Mullaly)

mab  :D

Offline EssB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 04 March 16 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Mab.
I have just returned to researching my Brophy ancestors and am delighted to see your recent posts.
I too have been investigating the family of the John Brophy and Judith Delany who married on May 13th, 1804 in St. Patrick's. In the register of St. Patrick's that the National Library of Ireland have put online, I found baptism records of Patrick (28 April 1805), Mary (February 1810), James (14 February 1813), Margaret (26 July 1815), Mary Anne (25 March 1819) and Judith (25 February 1821). You mention a William, baptised in 1823. The records of January-June 1823 are missing from the online register, and I couldn't find William in the second half of the year. Where did you find his baptism record? You also mention an Eleanor, baptised in 1809. I found the record of this baptism, dated 30 October 1809. It seems unlikely that Eleanor and Mary can belong to the same family, as there was less than 4 months between the two baptisms.

I hope you can help me trace William's baptism! Thank you for all the information you have shared with me.
Best wishes,
EssB

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 04 March 16 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello EssB

I found William's baptism on Rootsireland.

The record of course does not make sense as it has his birth date as 31 Jan 1823 and his baptism as 15 Jan 1823. The address is Black Quarry and the parents are John Brophy and Judith Delany. Sponsors are Martin Lannin and C. Maher.

I have also removed Eleanor from my list as well based on the address given on the record which was Jacob Street.

mab