Author Topic: Brophy Family of Kilkenny City  (Read 21170 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brophy Family of Kilkenny City
« Reply #27 on: Monday 12 September 16 15:09 BST (UK) »

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 12 September 16 15:59 BST (UK) »
Not sure about the BJ in the census???

I found lots of Brophy records yesterday on IrishGenealogy. I even discovered that Laurence Brophy and Annie Brady had a son Michael in 1912 that no one knew existed :)

mab
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline Reade Family

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 15:12 BST (UK) »
My grandfather's niece (they were both Reades) researched this letter from one of the Reade brothers (James, George, William, Redmond and Richard) to a Brother Joachim, who, I believe was actually Richard.
 "Your cousin Mick Brophy being at a funeral at Devonsfort on the first of May 1822 was way laid on his return home within a mile of the town and murdered by a blow of a stone. He has left a widow and a son to deplore his loss. He was comfortably situated in Flood st in a concern given him by his father. Jas and Patrick Brophy are both married in flood st and in business for themselves as is Stephen Kehoe to Paddy Mooney's daughter... your grandfather Brophy dyed the week after Mick was murdered."
I hope this helps with your search. I recently started searching my grandfather's family (Charles A. Reade, Kilkenny and Philadelphia). This letter gave me lots of names to work with, though, I haven't found much, until I found your post 😊
Cheers ~ Tracy

Offline davidisme

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Heyy! So glad I found this thread. Hope it's still active!  I've been trying to research my Grandmother's family tree for her. Her surname was Gleeson, but her mother's maiden name would be Brophy. Her uncle lived on Old Callan Road in Kilkenny. They moved to Chester at some stage when she was young and then after that to Belfast.

She remembers an Uncle Mick Brophy married to Annie Brophy. They had 3 children, Michael, Noel and Pamela. Would this be the same family you are looking for?

She has been very ill lately and would love to find out a bit about her family. Her memory isn't great anymore so I'm not sure if she has the dates and places correct.

If anyone has any info about I'd really appreciate it!

Regards, David.

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello David

I wish I could help you but the names you mentioned aren't familiar to me. I have been able to go only so far with the records. Hopefully someone will recognize them.

The Michael Brophy I mentioned above married a Hunt.

mab

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Heyy! So glad I found this thread. Hope it's still active!  I've been trying to research my Grandmother's family tree for her. Her surname was Gleeson, but her mother's maiden name would be Brophy. Her uncle lived on Old Callan Road in Kilkenny. They moved to Chester at some stage when she was young and then after that to Belfast.

She remembers an Uncle Mick Brophy married to Annie Brophy. They had 3 children, Michael, Noel and Pamela. Would this be the same family you are looking for?

She has been very ill lately and would love to find out a bit about her family. Her memory isn't great anymore so I'm not sure if she has the dates and places correct.

If anyone has any info about I'd really appreciate it!

Regards, David.
Welcome to RootsChat David
If you could give some idea of dates and your Grandmother's parents first names if you know them perhaps we can find something for you.
Don't name living people that is against RootsChat rules.

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 17 November 18 18:38 GMT (UK) »

12. Christina, born 28 Dec. 1888 at Ross, Mountnugent, Co. Meath. She was unmarried and living in Dublin at the time of the 1911 census. I don't know what happened to her subsequently.

EssB

Update: Christina Brophy married a Patrick Whelan on the 23rd June 1920. Christina's address at the time of her marriage was 40 St Thomas' Terrace. This is the same address that was given on the death record of her sister Johanna Brophy in 1921. You can get a copy of the record free from irishgenealogy.ie.

mab

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 25 February 19 23:43 GMT (UK) »
http://kilkennygraveyards.blogspot.com/2018/03/

"W Brophy Kilkenny" is included in the index of masons for Colmcilles graveyard which is near Thomastown.

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Interesting. Thank you for the link.

Mary Ann