Author Topic: Belgium Forename Variations  (Read 5869 times)

Offline TheBanana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Belgium Forename Variations
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 07 September 13 11:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the further information!
I really appreciate it.

And, do ALL the names start with the surname as I can get confused sometimes.

My grampy quite tanned and his mother was very tanned as she was the daughter of Joannes. So I am wondering why are some Belgians tanned to the point they look mixed race and why are the majority Caucasian?

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 07 September 13 18:46 BST (UK) »

Still, I’m Belgian and have brought many visits to various town halls, always met friendly, helpful staff, but it never resulting in 20 pages. You’re a lucky guy Lain or is it Scottish charme ?

Good luck with your further research
Leen

Lol !

My mother-in-law died about six months ago and at the time, she was the oldest person in the village at 95 years of age..., and well known to Willy Borsus. (the Town Mayor)   
http://www.lalibre.be/actu/belgique/willy-borsus-se-verrait-bien-ministre-president-wallon-ou-president-du-mr-522951b335702bc05f0bfa0a
OK !   I was lucky..., nonetheless, it does show that such genealogical evidence is available in a few seconds with a simple click of a button ! (anywhere, in Belgium)
All you need is to be friendly enough with some secretary who’s ready to abandon her morning cuppa. (not available in the afternoons)

Nonetheless, (with all the ancient BDM books behind me) she said that I’d need to contact the
Président Tribunal 1re Instance,
5500, Dinant
if I wanted to photograph the BDM pages.   “This is new” she said !   “Ever since people started tearing out pages and using fluo pens; authorization is now needed.”    Dinant of course is for my region !

But of course, as they all know me here as...  http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/3994/scotsguards.jpg
it was perhaps my “kilt above the knee” that tickled her fancy.   Lol !   

McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline leen

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 08 September 13 13:07 BST (UK) »
Dan
Name or surname, it can be confusing. In my last post they start with the surname, except : Coesemans .  (‘will underline them now)

Gosh,  I’ve never thought about that.  I don’t think the term ‘Caucasian’ strictly means : white.  Isn’t « European » the correct name now ?  The original people in Belgium  were Celts, and we have the Franks, Spanish, French,  etc.  So, mixing up or genes, or exceptions : white and white doesn’t always result in white.  Can’t help you really with this.
Barnes  -  Bezzell  -  O'Farell  -  Smith - Pluquet
Belgium - France - Calcutta  -  Essex  -  Exeter  -  Harlesden  -  Newcastle Upon Tyne  -  Tavistock  -  Willesden

Offline leen

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 08 September 13 13:26 BST (UK) »
sorry about your mother in law, Lain.

Yes you do need a permission of the Court of First Instance, not only because of the ‘vandalism’ (I don’t understand such behavior), it’s mainly due the privacy laws. In case you didn’t already, just send a letter, such as this :

Au Président du Tribunal de Première Instance.                           
(the adrress)

Sujet: Recherches dans les registres de l'état civil (art 45.1, 3ième par.)

Monsieur le président,
Dans le cadre de la réalisation de mon arbre généalogique, (surnames, eg your wife’s parents)  et apparentés, je souhaiterais effectuer des recherches familiales.
Je vous demande dés lors, de m'accorder la permission de procéder à ces recherches généalogiques dans les différents registres de l'état civil des communes ressortantes de votre arrondissement.
Dans l'attente de vous lire, je vous prie d'agréer  Monsieur le président, l'expression de mes sentiments distingués.

(your name and adrress)

The permmision is free and valid for all cities in de judicial district of Dinant for one year.

Thanks for the tip, on my next visit to the town hall I take  someone with me from the Glengarry pub in Ghent or their Flemish Caldedonian Pipes and Drums. No real Scots, but as good as.

Barnes  -  Bezzell  -  O'Farell  -  Smith - Pluquet
Belgium - France - Calcutta  -  Essex  -  Exeter  -  Harlesden  -  Newcastle Upon Tyne  -  Tavistock  -  Willesden

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 08 September 13 14:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Leen !  And I don't know if I should congratulate you on your English or your French !  ;)
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT