Author Topic: St Cross's Church Ashton New Road, Clayton,m/c.Berry family Grave.  (Read 1240 times)

Offline galore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Cross's Church Ashton New Road, Clayton,m/c.Berry family Grave.
« on: Sunday 28 July 13 12:05 BST (UK) »
I live in Droylsden and until fairly recently I found out that my Grandmother Emily Berry  is buried in there but have no idea whereabouts, one of my relations said that the grave is near a wall. I could have gone down there by now and searched, no excuse still not done it. :-[

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Cross's Church Ashton New Road, Clayton,m/c.Berry family Grave.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 July 13 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi
Do you know what year your grandma died?

Heather

Offline galore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 July 13 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hello, yes she died in 1968 somewhere around the middle of the year could've been August ? Thanks.

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 July 13 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

The burial records on www.familysearch.org go up to 1953. If you know the name of any other family member who is in the family grave and the year that they died, you could possibly find the grave number

Heather

Offline Lexiebabe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 September 13 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hey,

The cemetery is really fairly small, it wouldn't take more than an hour to walk through and have a look for yourself (and it's fairly small, so pretty much bar a few headstones, they're all 'close' to a wall :p) but it is overgrown and in a bad way in some parts; lots of headstones are unable to be read, so maybe ask to see the records for the plots incase it is one without much to go off

hope this helps a bit :)

Offline galore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 September 13 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hello,yeah thanks for that,I know the cemetery quite well I pass it quite frequently, I really should make an effort !
 :-[

Offline Strangefig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 July 21 05:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
The Berry family plot is unmarked. However, the grave adjacent to it belonged to someone called William who died aged 10 of sleeping sickness. I know this because your grandmother was my great aunt and my gran used to take me to the grave when I was a little girl. We used to access it through a break in the wall, coming back from the park, so it is located on the opposite side of the churchyard from the main road.
I attended your grandmother's funeral too. It wasn't held at St Cross and I wasn't aware that she had been interred in the family plot. My gran, Lily Anderson (nee Berry), your grandmother's sister, told me there were generations of her family in that plot, but they'd never had a headstone.
I went looking for it myself today. The park and location has changed so much and I couldn't find it, although I did find a newer headstone marking the grave of Thomas and Mary Jane Berry. This isn't the grave I remember though. Hope this narrows down your search.

Offline galore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 July 21 15:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the info on my late grandmother Emily Hindley she was married to George Hindley, but they were buried apart George Hindley died in the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic. My Dad was only 3 months old when his father died. Its one of the reasons I could never find the whereabouts of George but a relation of mine told me about Grandma Hindleys funeral which was in St Cross's Church, Clayton.In 1968.
Yours Sincerely,
Philip.
PS Any further info would be grateful

Offline Strangefig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 July 21 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi again Phil - it’s Suzanne!

I went to Aunty Emily’s funeral with my Aunty Lilian. I was only about 6 or 7. I think I might be the last person alive who went. The funeral was not held at St Cross. I can’t remember exactly where except it was walking distance from Eccleshall St. It was in a very plain, mission style church.
I can’t be certain of course if she was later interred in the family plot, but Gran ( your Aunty Lily) used to always visit the family plot on the way back from taking us kids out to the park. My cousin Pete remembers the park too, although not the grave. I am certain that some kind of memorial would have been erected by 1969 had she been buried there. Apparently a churchyard plan of St Cross is held in Central Library. The burial records are there too. Log into the National Archive site to get the reference numbers before you go. PM me on FB if you can’t get the reference numbers. Hope you get answers soon Phil. I know it means a lot to you.