Author Topic: CORCORAN, Carrabrown, Castlegar  (Read 15107 times)

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CORCORAN, Carrabrown, Castlegar
« Reply #18 on: Friday 02 August 13 22:44 BST (UK) »
Again, thanks for those additional backup infos and the correction (I'm crossing generations as well as my eyes), but it is too chilly to melt down here, yet, Tara. Two wee questions before I give you a short break:
1) Do you have a birth and/or baptism date for Kate 1860, please ?
2) Is it an Irish custom that when an infant dies and a later one is named the same (as in Kate b. 1860 and Catherine b. 1863) to use the name Honor, as in 'respect of' ? I ask because Kate b. 1860 obviously died very young, and Catherine b. 1863 was always known as "Honor".
Best
francoso

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 02 August 13 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Kate's baptism details are :

Kate Corcoran

Parents Martin (Sic) Corcoran and Bridget Conolly

Date : 15th July 1860

Godparents : Dennis & Bridget Flynn

The child that was born to Walter & Bridget in 1863 was actually baptised Honor

I have her as

Honor Corcoran

Parents Walter Corcoran and Bridget Conolly

Date : 9th September 1863

Godparents : Pat Corcoran & Mary Walsh

Tara

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 03:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello, again. I am still interested in the Corcorans from Carrabrown/Carrowbrowne and would very much like more help in sorting the family. In the meantime, I went to Gore in Southland, NZ, found the gravestone of Bridget Corcoran nee Conneely/Connolly/Connely, cleaned it up and took photos. Its states "Corcoran, Bridget 1834-1898 and her son John 1871-1890 RIP". The local newspaper at the time said she was 74 so perhaps the arithmetic of the reporter wasn't the best. The 1834 fits in much better with the birth and baptism years of Bridget Connelly with father John and mother Mary Walsh.

Tara, you mentioned that Walter Corcoran (1811-1871) father's name was Martin. Where did you find that ? You also mentioned that Walter had a brother Thomas (who married Bridget Flynn)who named his eldest son also Martin. Where did you find that relationship ? On the LDS family search I found the following children baptised to Thomas Corcoran and Bridget Flynn, which indicates Martin was the 5th son, and the children were baptised 8 years later than Walter's children:
William bap 12 Jul 1864 Galway, Co Galway
Michael bap 04 Aug 1866 Galway, Co. Galway
Peter bap 28 Jul 1868 Galway, Co. Galway
Patrick bap 13 Jul 1871 Galway No. 1, Co. Galway
Martin bap 20 Nov 1872 Galway No. 1, Co. Galway

I also had a closer look than I did earlier at the Griffiths Valuation: this shows the following Corcorans with land at Rahoon and three of the seven shown as living in Carrowbrowne (Daniel, Martin, William):

Corcoran  Daniel        Carrowbrowne                Rahoon     Galway
Corcoran  David         Killroghter                 Rahoon     Galway
Corcoran  John          Henry St.                   Rahoon     Galway
Corcoran  John          Montpelier Place            Rahoon     Galway
Corcoran  Martin        Carrowbrowne                Rahoon     Galway
Corcoran  Thomas        Kelly's Lane                Rahoon     Galway
Corcoran  William       Carrowbrowne                Rahoon     Galway

Is there anyway of ascertaining what their relationship was with each other for these seven (more than one family as two John Corcorans), especially the three living at Carrowbrowne ?

Also, I note that in one of your replies above you mentioned that one of Honor Corcoran's (bap 1863) Godparents was Pat Corcoran: any records to show what relationship he has with Walter.

Any further help with sorting out these relatioinships would be very helpful and much appreciated.

Kind regards
francoso

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi There

HA I'm trying to remember back .....

Well first of all Rahoon was the larger district that parts of Castlegar parish fell under for the Griffiths Valuation.
The only Corcorans on the GV for Rahoon that you will be interested in are those of Carrowbrowne and Kiloughter. The other address' are from another area of Galway and so of no connection.
The David Corcoran of Kiloughter I was never able to connect to the Carrowbrowne family. While these two townlands are right beside each other it would be too presumptious to assume they were related without any other proof.

Naming traditions were very strong in this part of Galway at the time ..... So given that Walter named his first son Martin is a good start. Also Walter doesn't have his own land on the GV so can only have been residing on his father Martin's land as per GV.

I will have another look at my records to confirm Walter's brother's family.

Tara

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tara. Looking forward to hearing from you re "sorting the Corcorans".
Rgds
francoso

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 16:43 GMT (UK) »
OK So,

Just looking back at my records it's POSSIBLE that David was also in Carrowbrowne as well as Kiloughter as all his children's baptism's give Ballybeg which is an old name for part of Carrowbrowne.

I am giving you here a copy and pasted list of the transcriptions that I was given that relate to your search area.

Childs Name First
Baptism Date
Father's Name
Mother's Name
POB

Corcoran   John            9/6/1829          David   Corcoran   Mary   Hanly   Ballybeg
Corcoran   Dennis   12/11/1829   David Corcoran   Honor Duggan   Ballybeg
Corcoran   Catherine   4/15/1832     Davey Corcoran   Mary   Hanly   Ballybeg
Corcoran   Bridget   1/7/1865         Walter   Corcoran   Bridget Connolly   Carrabrowne
Corcoran   Bridget   11/2/1865        William   Corcoran   Bridget Kyne   Carrabrowne
Corcoran   Dennis   7/18/1866    Walter Corcoran   Bridget Conolly   Carrabrowne
Corcoran   Michael   8/6/1866       Thomas   Corcoran   Bridget Flynn   Carrabrowne
Corcoran   Peter    7/30/1868       Thomas   Corcoran   Bridget Flynn   Carrabrowne
Corcoran   Patrick   3/12/1871     Thomas Corcoran   Bridget Flynn   Ballindooly
Corcoran   John           7/2/1871         Walter   Corcoran   Bridget Conolly   Carrabrowne
Corcoran   Martin   11/22/1872   Thomas   Corcoran   Bridget Flynn   Carrabrowne
Corcoran    John          1/31/1839        Davey   Corcoran   Margaret King   Ballybeg
Corcoran   Edward    5/31/1840    David Corcoran   Margaret King   Ballybeg
Corcoran    Ellen           5/8/1842        Davy Corcoran   Margaret King   Ballybeg
Corcoran    William   11/19/1843   David Corcoran   Margaret King   Ballybeg
Corcoran    Davy        12/29/1843           John   Corcoran   Winny Connell   Ballybeg
Corcoran   Mary    5/25/1845     David Corcoran   Margaret King   Ballybeg
Corcoran   John         11/14/1845    John   Corcoran   Winny Connell   Carrabrowne
Corcoran    Dennis   1/31/1849    David Corcoran   Margaret King   Ballybeg
Corcoran    Mary          3/28/1853         William Corcoran   Bridget Kyne   Ballybeg
Corcoran    Judy         2/18/1855        Thomas Corcoran   Winny Naughton   Ballybeg
Corcoran    Sarah     10/2/1855        William   Corcoran   Bridget Kyne   Ballybeg
Corcoran    David    12/10/1855       Thomas   Corcoran   Bridget Flynn   Ballybeg
Corcoran    Mary    3/20/1856    Walter Corcoran   Bridget Conolly   Ballybeg
Corcoran    Judy     5/17/1857    Walter Corcoran   Bridget Conolly   Ballybeg
Corcoran    John         5/28/1857       Thomas   Corcoran   Bridget Flynn   Ballybeg
Corcoran    Margaret   3/21/1858        William   Corcoran   Bridget Kyne   Ballybeg
Corcoran    Martin   11/3/1858    Walter Corcoran   Bridget Conolly   Ballybeg
Corcoran   William   12/2/1858      Thomas Corcoran   Bridget Flynn   Ballybeg
Corcoran    Kate      7/15/1860         William Corcoran   Bridget Conolly   Ballybeg
Corcoran    Honor   11/1/1860        William   Corcoran   Bridget Kyne   Ballybeg
Corcoran    Mary          9/12/1861       Thomas   Corcoran   Bridget Flynn   Ballybeg
Corcoran   John      2/16/1862        William   Corcoran   Bridget Conolly   Ballybeg
Corcoran   John      2/1/1863        William   Corcoran   Bridget Kyne   Ballybeg
Corcoran   Martin   6/7/1863       Thomas   Corcoran   Bridget Flynn   Ballybeg
Corcoran   Honor   9/9/1863        Walter   Corcoran   Bridget Conolly   Ballybeg
Corcoran   William    7/17/1864        Thomas Corcoran   Bridget Flynn   Ballybeg

I hope this is of use and will give you something to work on HA

The transcriptions that I have only went up to 1880 !

Tara

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Fantastic, Tara. That could keep me busy for a while -- and give rise to more questions as well !
Best
francoso

Offline karenperri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 20 July 19 03:20 BST (UK) »
Francoso we research the same family.
Bridget Connolly and Walter Corcoran are my GGGgrandparents through their daughter Catherine (or Honor).  She did die in the South Island in New Zealand and was not the person mentioned in one post as being alive in the 1901 census.  Her family did well in Southland.