Author Topic: Walter Meakin born 1899 in Langley Mill,died 1972,first wife Elizabeth A Marriot  (Read 2667 times)

Offline Jmeakin75

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Meakin born 1899 in Langley Mill,died 1972,first wife Elizabeth A Marriot
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but you're talking about my grandad, whom I know very little about and his history proves elusive so I'm hoping you can help me fill in the gaps. I can confirm Walter and Emily had one son (gran was 45, so a late childbirth indeed), also called Walter. He was my father who passed away in 2004.

It may even have been me you spoke to before but it's been a while since I tracked my tree. You can find me on Ancestry as the same username and my tree is accurate for France and Meakin post 1944. As I said, I really struggled to piece together anything for Walter senior. He died before I was born so I never knew him and never thought to ask my dad or Doreen before it was too late and they too passed away.

Thanks, Jon

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Meakin born 1899 in Langley Mill,died 1972,first wife Elizabeth A Marriot
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 18:08 BST (UK) »
Welcome Jon.
Charm3d has not been on the site for 2 years, so you may not get a reply.
I checked Ancestry and put in your name but nothing coming up for me.
You say you know little of the history of your grandfather.
I can tell you on the 1901 census he was in Heanor with his parents Arthur and Sarah siblings Thomas and John A. His father was a coal miner (hewer).
There is a baptism at Eastwood for Thomas 25 June 1893 parents Arthur and Sarah Sabina father a coal miner abode Heanor.
Marriage Eastwood
26 Nov 1892 Arthur Meakin and Sarah Sabina Wood.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 18:11 BST (UK) »
Birth
MEAKIN, WALTER       
Mothers maiden surname-WOOD
GRO Reference: 1899  D Quarter in BASFORD  Volume 07B  Page 171

Walter Meakin
Baptism Date7 Jan 1900
Heanor, Derbyshire
Father Arthur Meakin 
Mother Sarah Sabina Meakin
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 18:26 BST (UK) »
First marriage
Walter Meakin
Registration Jul 1922
Basford
Eliza A Marriott
Volume 7b
Page 571

Births Mar 1923   
Meakin    Joan    Marriott    Basford    7b   415   
Births Sep 1928 
Meakin    Ralph    Marriott    Basford    7b   380   
Births Sep 1931 
Meakin    Francis B    Marriott    Basford    7b   332

Offline Jmeakin75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 21:45 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant, thank you! I'll have to check Ancestry. I haven't been on for some time so maybe the public settings have been lost.

I think I'd managed to pull together more than I thought, but mostly guessing, so I really appreciate you confirming it. The link with Heanor is interesting. My family are all Langley Mill, but I think I spotted Walter on the 1911 census except he wasn't living with his parents; he was the only Meakin, which seemed odd. I think the earlier census has proved to be the key.

Thank you again.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 13:50 BST (UK) »
 ;)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 13:55 BST (UK) »
We are not allowed to use the 1911 census on here. But I am hoping it is ok to tell you that the family are all together at Smeaton Street, Langley. When you look it up check out WATTER Meakin!!

Offline Jmeakin75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 15:02 BST (UK) »
Good grief.  ;D

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 17:22 BST (UK) »
 :o Little tinker ;)