Author Topic: On This Day In August - Our Ancestral BMDs. Please join in with yours....  (Read 22239 times)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day In August - Our Ancestral BMDs. Please join in with yours....
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 08:45 BST (UK) »
Born today in Battersea in 1908 a gt.aunt, Catherine Ellen Hetty Howard;  daughter of John and Ellen Mary Eliza(nee Viney). Ellen's birthday was yesterday. Catherine married Edmund Robert Page on Christmas Day 1936 at St James Norland, Kensington.  They had one daughter.  I remember her as "Auntie Kit"; a small, slim, dark haired lady living in the downstairs flat with a sister (Annie) in the upstairs one.
Catherine died in 1970 in Hammersmith Hospital and Edmund lived another 16 years and died in Stoke Mandeville Hospital, Aylesbury.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 16:48 BST (UK) »
On 6 August 1797 my great great grandmother Mary Kingham was baptised at St James Clerkenwell.  She was the daughter of William Kingham and Isabella. After her marriage in 1818 to Gregorio Giovannelli, they are both shown on censuses as artificial florists, and I have been told by a relative that this occupation came from the Kingham family, but I have not been able to progress any further back to prove or disprove this.
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 17:16 BST (UK) »
Lots today  ;D

On 6 August
Philologus Collett and Dorcas Edgar my 8 x g.grandparents were married at Dennington, Framlingham, Suffolk in 1617.  Dorcas and Philologus were brother and sister in law.  She was the daughter of Henry Edgar the churchwarden of Denington and his wife Bridget Docker.  Her elder brother married Philologus’ sister when Dorcas was only 7 years old.  Philologus was named the Chancery court proceedings of 10 June 1601 relating to the mental state of his mother and her competency to manage the estate inherited from her father.  Philologus was a woollen draper.

Sarah Hobson my 4 x g.g.aunt was baptised at St Peter’s Church, Huddersfield, Yorkshire in 1739

Edwin Hammond Stanton  my 1st cousin 5 times removed died in Spalding, Lincolnshire in 1876.  I have a photograph of him but as it was sent to me by a distant ancestor I don’t believe I have the right to put it up on here.

Arabella Charlotte Salter my 1st cousin 3 times removed died in Falmouth, Tasmania in 1865.  Her parents were both convicts deported to Tasmania.  Her father in 1838 for desertion (from the army or a ship I don’t know) and her mother in 1848 for theft (rather a lot of things and on more than one occasion).  Arabella Charlotte was named after one of her mother’s sisters.

Beatrice Lynda Singline my 2nd cousin twice removed died in Falmouth, Tasmania in 1949.  She was the niece of Arabella Charlotte Salter above.

William Benson my 3 x g.grandfather was buried at St Mary’s Parish Church, Dalton in Furness, Lancashire in 1841.  He was a farmer and left 8 children, the youngest two were only 6 & 4, although I think they were probably the sons of his eldest daughter who died 3 months after the 4 year old was born  about April/May 1837  – unfortunately his birth was just before registration began or we might have known the truth.

Martha Hobson my 4 x g.g.aunt was buried at St John the Baptist Church, Penistone, Yorkshire in 1747 aged 5.  She was the 8th child of 12 of my 5 x g.grandparents and the 9th and 10th also died young.  The 9th died aged 3 years and the 10th only just over 3 months old.  Happily the other children lived to adulthood and they continued to have another 2 children, as the last one was my 4 x g.grandfather.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 12:56 BST (UK) »
And to make up for yesterday, only 2 distant ancestors today.

On 7 Aug 
Harold Lynch my 1st cousin twice removed married May Ridgeway at St Gabriel’s Parish Church, Hulme, Manchester in 1916

Thomas Harper my husband’s 3 x g.g.uncle married Jane Doone at St Nicholas Church, Liverpool in 1822

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 08 August 13 08:16 BST (UK) »
Born today in Woolwich in 1890 a 1st cousin 2R, Mercy Charlotte Jane Gillians;  daughter of James William and Edith (nee Rainer). Mercy was their first child but sadly died, aged 9, in 1900. She is buried in Woolwich Cemetery.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 08 August 13 11:11 BST (UK) »
On 8th August 1873 my 3xG grandmother Margaret Dunlop died at Brown's Land in Armadale. She was the daughter of Archibald Dunlop and Agnes Kerr of whom at this point I know very little. Her husband Walter Brown was a blacksmith from Bo'ness and the son of a blacksmith.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 08 August 13 13:35 BST (UK) »
On 8 Aug
Ada Benson (nee Wright) my paternal grandmother was born at 2 Craven’s Terrace, Albert Street, Hull in 1884.  It’s her father who I can’t find before his name appears on my gran’s birth certificate.  My guess is that he was illegitimate (possibly from a fairly wealthy family) and farmed out to another family to avoid the shame of his birth.  However, there surely must be a birth certificate somewhere.

Elizabeth Collett my 3 x g.g.aunt was baptised at Stradbroke, Suffolk in 1767.  Unfortunately, she died aged just over 3 months.

Emma Dawson (née Connor) my husband’s g.grandmother was baptised at Manchester Cathedral  in 1852.  She was 8 months old at the time.  Although her parents are on the 1851 census, I can’t find them after that, although her mother had an illegitimate daughter in 1862 on whose birth certificate she stated she was a widow.  I assume Emma was living with her at the time.

Sarah Howard (née Harper) my husband’s 3 x g.grandmother and grandmother of Emma Dawson above was baptised at St Nicholas Church, Liverpool in 1796

Ellen Smith my 6 x g.g.aunt was baptised at St Mary’s Parish Church, Dalton in Furness, Lancashire in 1708

Sir John V le Strange my 19th g.grandfather died at Walton, Warwickshire in 1309.  He was the first Baron Strange and as the baronies were created by writ they can be passed through both male and female lines.   However, they didn’t come down to me as I am descended from his daughter, not his eldest son.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 09 August 13 09:12 BST (UK) »
Two birthdays today:

Daisy Lilian Florence,a 1st cousin 1R, born in 1904 in Hackney, London;  daughter of Alfred Samuel and Maria Rachel (nee Barham).  Daisy married Gus Frederick Hutchins in 1928.  She died in 1985; two years after Gus.

My 2 x gt.aunt Lydia Barham born in 1847 in Cripplegate, London;  daughter of Francis James and Isabella (nee Bailey). Lydia was baptised in 1852 (along with several siblings) at St. Bartholomew, Moor Lane but died in April 1857 and is buried in Victoria Park Cemetery, Hackney.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 09 August 13 11:19 BST (UK) »
On 9 August 
 Mary Chapman (nee Pegg ) my 6 x g.grandmother married her 2nd husband John Coleman at St Mary’s Church, Pinchbeck, Lincolnshire in 1739.  She had been married to my 6 x g.grandfather for 14 years before he died in 1736 and had 5 children with him, one being my 5 x g.grandfather.   She had 2 more children with her 2nd husband.

William Day my 4 g.g.uncle was baptised at St Andrew’s Church, Heckington, Lincolnshire in 1761.  He was the youngest brother of my 4 x g.grandfather.

John Singleton my 6 x g.g.uncle was baptised at St Peter’s Church, Huddersfield, Yorkshire in 1646.  He was the 2nd child of my 7 x g.grandfather.  My 6 x g.grandmother was the 11th child, but I have no idea who the mother of these children was as her name is not shown on the parish records.  The eldest child was baptised in Elland, Yorkshire about 4 or so miles from Huddersfield  so it’s possible that’s where his parents were married, but I can’t find a marriage there or in Huddersfield.

William Cawthorn my 4 x g.grandfather was buried at St Mary’s Church, Pinchbeck, Lincolnshire in 1832.  He was 76 and had been married 37 years before his wife, my 4 x g.grandmother died in 1830.  They had 5 children, the 5th one being my 3 x g.grandmother