Author Topic: On This Day In August - Our Ancestral BMDs. Please join in with yours....  (Read 22147 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
How did August come around so quickly? Those of us in the Northern hemisphere will  be needing the heating on any minute now!

Here is the place for telling everyone about your ancestors' anniversaries. We're not against odd bits of important historical stuff as well - it puts things in perspective if you have, for example, a forebear who was born on the anniversary of Culloden or Waterloo.

As I shall be away for the next week, I'm going to cheat and mention a few people from the first few days of August.

On August 1st 1717, my 7 x great uncle, John Bland, was born in Middleton-in-Teesdale.

2nd August 1837, my 2 x great grandfather, Benjamin Howe was born in Brightlingsea. Son of Benjamin Howe and Thirza French, he married Ermina Cant in 1862. Tragically he committed suicide in 1892, following Ermina's death and the loss of his boat and livelihood.

3rd August 1705 - 6 x great grandmother, Elizabeth Spurden was born in Great Oakley, Essex.

3rd August 1894 my grandfather, Thomas Henry Smith was born in Middlesbrough. He was the son of John Smith and Harriet Knight. He married Amelia Alice Frost ( nee Smith) and my mum was their second child ( Amelia already had two children from her first marriage). My mum idolised her father so when he was killed in an industrial accident in 1941, she was utterly devastated. Amelia only lived for another four years so I didn't know either of these grandparents, which leaves me feeling rather sad.

Over to you......
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day In August - Our Ancestral BMDs. Please join in with yours....
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 15:36 BST (UK) »
Just a reminder - I am planning to copy brief details (including submitter so you can alter/delete anything you don't like) into the new ancestral anniversaries database, not sure when I will get around to August - hopefully before next August!, but anyone who doesn't want their data copied please send me a PM to that effect.

By the way you might find ancestral anniveraries a handy diary for interesting posts for future dates.

peter
Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 August 13 08:26 BST (UK) »
No ancestors today but 17 years ago another lovely granddaughter arrived.  :)
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 August 13 14:22 BST (UK) »
I can't believe I've no Ancestral BMDs today. ;D   It's the only day so far since the original thread started.

Modified - I was right not to believe no Ancestral BMDs today.  I've done another search and found a few.  Back later when I've looked at them.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 August 13 14:43 BST (UK) »
On 1 August 2013

John Collett my 1st cousin 3 times removed was born at Ilketshall St Andrew, Suffolk in 1829

Ernest Edward Cockett my g.uncle was born at 28 Dickens Street, Manchester in 1886.  We’ll meet him again at the end of August.

Isobel Francke my 9 x g.grandmother was baptised at St John the Baptist Church, Morton by Bourne,
Lincolnshire in 1601

Elizabeth Dyke my husband’s 3 x g.g.aunt was baptised at Budbrooke, Warwick in 1802

Mary Jane Stanton my 2nd cousin 4 times removed was baptised in Spalding, Lincolnshire in 1846

John Luckorish my husband’s 5 x g.grandfather was baptised in Leamington Hastings, Warwickshire in  1731

Sir Hamon de Felton my 16 x g.g.uncle died in Norfolk in 1379

John William Cockett my g.uncle and brother of Ernest Edward above was buried at Philips Park Cemetery, Blackley, Manchester in 1922 aged 54.  I’ve not bought his death certificate yet, so don’t know the cause of his death.  Of the 7 children my g.grandparents had, only 3 lived to be adults, my grandfather who died aged 46 at the beginning of 1922, John William above and a sister Maud Ellen who lived to the ripe old age of 74!

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 August 13 08:54 BST (UK) »
Born today in 1861in Woolwich, my 2xgt.aunt, Alice Agnes Pain;  daughter of Charles George and Mary Jane (nee Ottley).  1881 census finds Alice working as an assistant nurse in Woolwich Workhouse. Later that year she married Harry Lance in Lambeth.  A daughter was born in 1882. Alice later worked as a midwife.  In 1904 Alice divorced Harry and the following year married James Paling. Alice and James emigrated to Western Australia. Alice died in 1941 and is buried in Manjimup, WA.  James remarried 6 years later and died in Perth in 1960.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 August 13 10:18 BST (UK) »
Mary Ross, the younger sister of my 4xG grandmother Susannah was born in Craiglockhart and christened in Colinton on 2nd August 1795. She was the 5th of six children born to my 5xG grandparents Peter Ross and Agnes Mason. 
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 August 13 11:01 BST (UK) »
On 2 August   
Elizabeth Alden my half g.aunt (same mother as my gran, but different father) married George Mowforth in Hull, Yorkshire in 1896.  When Elizabeth was born in 1878 her father was shown as deceased on her birth certificate.  I’ve never been able to find a death – he was a fisherman so could have died at sea – but I’ve never been able to find him on any further census either to prove he had just left home, although my g.gran didn’t marry my g.grandfather despite having 3 children with him so it’s possible her husband was still alive somewhere.

May Victoria Witham (nee Pemberton) my 2nd cousin once removed was born in Warrington, Cheshire in 1900

Elsie Beryl Dwyer (nee Salter) my 3rd cousin once removed was born in Tasmania in 1912

Robert Day my 4 x g.grandfather was baptised at St Andrew’s Church, Heckington, Lincolnshire in 1752.  When he married his occupation was shown as Inn Holder, which I assume is the same as an innkeeper.  Certainly his youngest son, my 3 x g.grandfather, was a brewer.

William Cawthorn my 5 x g.grandfather was buried at St Andrew’s Church, Hacconby, Lincolnshire in 1782, aged 53.  He was a labourer.

Thomas Hardy my husband’s 2 x g.g.uncle was buried at St Lawrence Church, Denton, Lancashire in 1840.  He was 3 years old.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 August 13 07:35 BST (UK) »
Born today in 1920 in Shoreditch the uncle I never met, Stanley George Rayner Barham;  son of John Robert and Matilda Alice Eva (nee Pain). Stan worked at Liverpool Victoria insurance company, enjoyed amateur dramatics and singing with a local band. He joined the RAFVR and became an air gunner.  On 13 June 1944 his plane crashed in France killing all the crew. He is buried in a French churchyard with several other WW2 casualties.