Author Topic: Beaumont family tree  (Read 10960 times)

Offline eileenmcnaught

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Beaumont family
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 March 17 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello there,
Iīve come against a brick wall researching the Beaumonts of Haddington.   The oldest member of the family that I have found is John Beaumont a gardener originally  from England in the 1841 census he was 66 years old.  There is no wife, and he was living inSt Johnīs parish.   Is anyone researching the same family by any chance??

Thank you,   Eileen

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Beaumont family
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 March 17 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eileen

It always helps to add a few more key details to help people identify the family. Are you researching one of his descendants?

Monica  :)

Added: Some more details here for background...... Topics merged.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 March 17 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ron,

Thank you for the info you posted, but unfortunately none of them seem to be my Beaumonts.
The John Beamont Iīm looking for is from England.  His son George moved with his wife Elizabeth Marr to Glasgow after she was put on trial for culpable homicide of a child in 1853. Iīm still trying to find out what happened to her. She had a child in 1855 in Glasgow, so she was obviously not found guilty. There is no record of her trial.

Above from other post. Have you now found details of the trial? From the NRS site

Trial papers relating to Elizabeth Beaumont for the crime of culpable homicide, assaulting and cruelly treating a child of tender years at Pleasance, Edinburgh. Tried at High Court, Edinburgh
Dates 22 Jul 1853
Ref JC26/1853/523

Accused Elizabeth Beaumont, m.s. Marr Not called
Victim George Paterson, son of Grace Paterson, Pleasance, Edinburgh
http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/search.aspx

'Not Called'....not sure if trial went ahead?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 March 17 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Did son George die in Scotland to let you confirm his mother's name and father's details?

Monica

Offline eileenmcnaught

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 April 17 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Monica,

Thank you for your reply.
I donīt have a lot of info about the Beaumonts unfortunately.   I am trying to go back to find out more about them.  I know that John had a son, George  b: 1818 in Haddingtonshire.  He married Elizabeth Marr in 1837.   They moved from Edinburgh to Glasgow in 1853 after she was released from a prison sentence for culpable homicide. They had 8 children, only two survived and one of them was my G Grandfather John b: 1850 d:1916.   George his father died in 1858, and there was no motherīs name on the death certificate.    Their only daughter Eleanor b:1842 did live into adulthood and was married to a James Scott who was a pawnbroker.  She died young though.  So I really donīt have much to go on.  This is one branch of my family tree that has given me the most work, and the least info.
Hope there is someone out there looking for the same family.

Best wishes to you all,   Eileen

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Beaumont family tree
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 27 April 17 10:49 BST (UK) »
There is a death for an Elizabeth Beaumont(or Marr) age 52 , 1871 Hutchesontown Lanark(shire) , 644/10 1579.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline eileenmcnaught

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 27 April 17 11:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you EV,

That is the Elizabeth Marr who married George Beaumont, and was tried for culpable homicide.

Many thanks anyway,  Eileen

Offline eileenmcnaught

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 27 April 17 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Monica,

She was tried in August 1853, and was imprisoned for 15 months.  Unfortunately, the paperwork from the trial has not survived time.  But, the Scottish Records office found me some info and her description, weight, height etc., from the prison record.   Which made it all more real.  After she was released the family moved to Glasgow, where there are still family members.

Regards,   Eileen

Offline beswron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 04:26 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,
I've been absent from my researching and I'm now back. Recently I found the Gardener called John Beaumont who I believe is the father of Margaret Beamont who gave birth to Andrew Burnside in 1839. There's not a lot of people with the surname Beaumont or Beamont in Haddingtonshire at that time. I went to Haddington last year but never made it to the John Gray Museum which at 4-PM closes.
It was interesting to see John Beaumont's neighbor was a painter called James Burns! If he is the son of Gilbert Burns that makes him the nephew of Robert Burns. I believe Burnside was sometimes shortened to Burns. Would the name Beaumont be shortened?
I now have a good excuse to visit Haddington again.

Ron