Author Topic: Henthorn.  (Read 2032 times)

Offline tracey clarke

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henthorn.
« on: Saturday 03 August 13 16:06 BST (UK) »
Researching Henthorn family from the Drung area.
 George Henthorn married Rebecca Henthorn ( same surname ) 15th Nov 1796. He was from Drumbane and she was from Gorsky. They had several children:-
James 29th Dec 1798, George 29th Dec 1800, Ann 23rd Jan 1803 ( she died young ), Rebecca 15th Jul 1804, Mary 28th Sept 1806, Ann 7th Nov 1813 and Elizabeth 3 Feb 1816.
Besides Ann 7/11/1813 who went on to marry a Henry Smith ( Smyth) I have not had much luck finding out what happened to her siblings. I believe that there is a George Henthorn - Drumbane mentioned in the book of tithes but do not know as yet if that is her brother or another branch of Henthorn's.
In the Griffiths Valuation there is an Isaac Henthorn - Drumrane. ( He was also mentioned in the book of tithes.)
Is anyone else researching this family? or another branch of Henthorn's?

Offline Mike Henthorn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Henthorn.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 October 20 17:15 BST (UK) »
My great great grandfather Thomas Henthorn was born in Cavan circa 1824.  He and his brother Adam emigrated to Canada via Port of New York in 1846.  Lived briefly in Ellenberg New York (part of Clinton NY.  Married Elizabeth Bateman in Hemmingford Quebec Canada in 1859.  Moved to Montreal where he lived in Griffintown (part of Montreal) and died in Montreal in 1893. 

Family lore says he was born in Cordegan (old records have Cordingin as spelling), part of Larah parish in county Cavan.  1821 census shows 7 Henthorn families in Cavan but I have been unable to make direct link to any of them so far.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 October 20 20:40 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Here are a couple of links for others to see-

Family lore says he was born in Cordegan (old records have Cordingin as spelling), part of Larah parish in county Cavan.  1821 census shows 7 Henthorn families in Cavan but I have been unable to make direct link to any of them so far.

Current spelling (from Townlands.ie) is Cordingin.
https://www.townlands.ie/cavan/tullygarvey/larah/larah-south/cordingin/

1821 Irish census for Henthorn in Co Cavan.
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01pyk/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Mike Henthorn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 October 20 21:42 BST (UK) »
KG

thanks for the links.  Very interesting about the names Cordegan and Cordingin.  Although the townlands.ie site uses Cordingin, the handwritten parish register for Church of Ireland at Larah lists the family members of the church in 1814 and it is spelt Cordegan in the church register.  Also, the current maps all refer to Cordegan as do the people in the area we talked to.

Offline tracey clarke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 03:54 BST (UK) »
I have been researching Henthorns in Cavan. Unfortunately records are very patchy.
In my notes I have for Tithe Applotment Books. Thom Henthorn 1833 Cordegin Larah and George Henthorn 1833 Cordegin Larah.
There is a death for an Adam Henthorn in 1831 age 63 but at the moment I have no further details.
Maybe relations of your Thomas and Adam.
There are Henthorns living in Cordegin for most of the 1800s.

Offline tracey clarke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 04:08 BST (UK) »
In the 1821 Census. There are 3 families recorded for Coredeggan.
Their surname is spelt Hentham.

What were the names of Thomas's children and did Adam have any children?

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 09:15 BST (UK) »
In the 1821 Census. There are 3 families recorded for Coredeggan.
Their surname is spelt Hentham.

Here's the 1821 census for Hentham at Cordeggan townland in county Cavan.
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01pyp/

John and family at house number 2, Margt at house number 4, and George and family at house number 6.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Mike Henthorn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 14:46 BST (UK) »
Tracy Clarke may have found my missing link.  She found an Adam Henthorn who died in 1831.   Thomas, my GG grandfather would have been 7 and his brother Adam 4.

Adam's descendants referred to Adam as Adam II and his son Adam as Adam III. This certainly points to his father being named Adam. Also I have a picture of Adam II's mother called Hannah who came to Canada as an elderly woman.

Tracy, any details you have on the Adam who died would be extremely helpful.

To answer KG all children of Thomas and Adam were born in North America.

Thomas children in order of  birth:  Adam, Eliza, Mary Ann, William Henry, Prudence, Lily, George

Adam children in order of birth:  Susannah, Sarah, Elizabeth William P, Cecilia, Adam, William T, Fannie Ann

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 October 20 12:42 BST (UK) »
flax seed growers for the linen industry

on this site

http://www.failteromhat.com/flax/cavan.htm