Author Topic: PRESS family in Castleward  (Read 13441 times)

Offline bally2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PRESS family in Castleward
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Borberrw,

Thanks so much for the reply. That's very interesting. I saw mention of a George Moore in relation to the Wards in some of PRONI's catalogues and wondered if our George (or his father) might have been a land agent for them. I don't have any information regarding his parents, so I'm not sure if his father was George. He had a daughter Sarah though, so it's possible the mother was Sarah.

A family bible indicated that George married an Ann who died in 1842, but I can't find any record of her. Their children were:
Robert b. 1824
Thomas b.1826
John b.1828
Sarah 1830-1830
Mary b.1832
Sarah b 1834
George b.1835
James b.1838
Henry b.1840

Thanks again.

Offline Borrberw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
George Moore of Castleward
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Reply to Bally2

Sorry, I can't find a burial record for Ann at Ballyculter in 1842.

Have you also considered they might be Methodist and not CoI.
Ros Davies shows a record for  a George Moore of Ballyculter built Strangford Methodist meeting house in 1804.

Heres what i have for births of children
12th December 1824, Robert, George and Anne Moore, Castleward
26th January 1826, Thomas, George and Anne Moore, Castleward
15th January 1832, Mary, George and Nancy Moore, Castleward
9th February 1834, Sarah, George and Anne Moore, Castleward
11th March 1838, James, George and Anne Moore, Audleystown

I cant find George born 1835, but there is a gap in the register when it was sent to the Bishop between 17th and 24th March.

New register from April 1838 shows DoB, Baptism, name, parents, place, occupation
18th July 1840, 20th August 1840, Henry, George and Anne Moore, Audleystown, Bailiff

I found a burial record for Sarah Moore of Strangford, 9th August 1843 aged 70

Orr of Welshestown, Carrowcarlin, Ballyculter, Strangford. Creighton of Grangecam / Down. Megarry of Grangecam/ Down. Ennis / Innes of Grangecam / Down. McKee of Quoile, Downpatrick. Edgar of Quoile, Erinagh, Downpatrick. Ross of Killiyleagh / Shrigley. Dobson of Portadown.

Offline Ian Sumpter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 December 13 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Borrberw, thank you again for your time and efforts in finding information regarding the Press family in Ballyculter.  Two Michael Presses sharing Pew No. 2.  My information indicates only one Michael Press (of Castleward) alive at this time. He being born ~1760. Perhaps the other is his father?

cheers,
Ian

Offline bally2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 December 13 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Borrberw,
Thanks again for looking for the records for me. You have provided some interesting information for me. I located George on Griffiths from 1863 and I believe he was living on the edge of the Castleward estate in Upper Ballyculter at that time. There doesn't appear to be a structure there now.

I had thought of the possibility that they were Methodist, but wondered why there are records at the parish church? Maybe Ann was Methodist? Do you know where a Methodist would have been buried? Maybe Old Court?

Another thing that had me wondering about their connection to Viscount Bangor is that George's  granddaughter had the middle name Crosbie. This could have been after Viscount Bangor or just a family name?

Thanks so much again for your assistance!

Offline Ian Sumpter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 12 December 13 21:37 GMT (UK) »
I believe the Viscount Bangor name was Ward.  Interesting that Wm Press (baptised 1826) is an illegitimate child of Wm Press and Amelia Ward (both of Castleward). Amelia = sister or niece of Viscount Bangor III?
i

Offline Borrberw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: George Moore in Castleward
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 12 December 13 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Reply for Bally 2

I've just checked out your Griffiths Ballyculter and noticed that George is a tenant of John Orr in 1863!

If you take a look at the Freeholder records in Proni you will find some interesting connections. They occurred in Killough on 24th June 1824 :-

John Orr, Ballyculter, leases lives Mathew and John Orr and Pr Adolphus Frederick
Mathew Orr, Audleystown leases lives Wm Crosbie Ward, Mathew Orr and George Moore
William and Thomas Orr, Welchestown leases lives William Crosbie Ward, William and Thomas Orr.
Thomas is my ancestor, and I have copies of these leases. George always signs himself as Geo. Moore.

For some time I have been wondering how these 4 men connect, and tonight you have helped me.
I know that Mathew emigrated to America with his family in 1835. Then we see George have 2 children in Audleystown from 1838. This leads me to believe that George moved into Matthews house.  The story is that Viscountess (Harriet) Bangor during 2nd marriage to Nugent, destroyed the village of Audleystown in 1852. Mathew's house is close by, so would have been pulled down also( I have located its ruins). This explains why George is living south of Castleward in 1863 (Griffiths). So when I see George as tenant to John Orr, it would appear to strengthen the family connections between John and Matthew Orr. So thank you for this.

On the Methodist side, there was no separate graveyard, so internments would most likely be at Ballyculter CoI. I believe the Methodist was Black Causeway which is on the north side of Castleward close to Audleystown.  The map I have of 1835 shows George's plot of land, but no house on it, again this is why I think he moves into Mathew Orrs house after he vacatesit.  If you are interested in the goings on in the area of that time you should research the story of Rev Edward Smyth who was ousted from Ballyculter around (1770s?) for becoming a methodist.
Orr of Welshestown, Carrowcarlin, Ballyculter, Strangford. Creighton of Grangecam / Down. Megarry of Grangecam/ Down. Ennis / Innes of Grangecam / Down. McKee of Quoile, Downpatrick. Edgar of Quoile, Erinagh, Downpatrick. Ross of Killiyleagh / Shrigley. Dobson of Portadown.

Offline Borrberw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: George Moore in Castleward
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 12 December 13 22:38 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to mention

Mathew Orr also had Crosbie as one of the middle names for one of his children.  Crosbie was the maiden name of Hon Edward Ward wife ( and his cousin), Lady Arabella Crosbie. He is named as the landlord named on the leases I have with George's signature.  So I think this is homage to the landlord moreso than a relatives name.

Offline Borrberw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 12 December 13 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Reply for Ian Sumpter

Yes, I think Amelia is a 'Ward'. So I think she might be a distant cousin. Did you find out if they ever married?  It struck me that perhaps they were not allowed to marry as they had other plans for her.
There is a record of an Amelia Ward married a Rev Hugh Montgomery who would have been Hon Edward Wards neice ( by his brother Robert).  Not sure if this would fit with your Amelia's dates.

Offline Ian Sumpter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 13 December 13 04:41 GMT (UK) »
Borrberw,
No, i have not been able to find out whether Amelia Ward and Wm Press married.  The only Ballyculter marriage reg i have seen is the one you kindly forwarded this week.  Nor did they have any additional illegitimate children.  Nor have i found information indicating that Wm Press ever married.
i