Author Topic: PRESS family in Castleward  (Read 13427 times)

Offline Ian Sumpter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: PRESS family in Castleward
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 December 13 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Information suggests that Michael Press may have been born in Co. Down ~1760.  Michael and Catherine Press were possibly married ~1785 (nr Castleward?).

ian

Offline Borrberw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 December 13 19:47 GMT (UK) »
They are most certainly going to have been married at Ballyculter, but the registers for marriage only begin in 1815, so you will not be able to find them. The register records show how the family is so strongly connected to Viscount Bangor family, they would be his immediate servants if living in Castleward. Castleward isn't so much a townland more Viscount Bangors  private residence at this point in time.  The baptisms only begin in 1777, nothing exists any earlier.

I will have a look in the marriage and burial records for you.

Orr of Welshestown, Carrowcarlin, Ballyculter, Strangford. Creighton of Grangecam / Down. Megarry of Grangecam/ Down. Ennis / Innes of Grangecam / Down. McKee of Quoile, Downpatrick. Edgar of Quoile, Erinagh, Downpatrick. Ross of Killiyleagh / Shrigley. Dobson of Portadown.

Offline Borrberw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 December 13 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Correction marriage records begin 1812
Orr of Welshestown, Carrowcarlin, Ballyculter, Strangford. Creighton of Grangecam / Down. Megarry of Grangecam/ Down. Ennis / Innes of Grangecam / Down. McKee of Quoile, Downpatrick. Edgar of Quoile, Erinagh, Downpatrick. Ross of Killiyleagh / Shrigley. Dobson of Portadown.

Offline Borrberw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 December 13 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Marriages for Press in Ballyculter Register between 1812 and 1838

13th July 1814, Michael Press to Jane Carrol, Strangford
13th February 1821, James Press of Castleward and Elizabeth Kearns of Strangford
3rd May 1824, Thomas Creen to Mary Press both of Strangford
5th February 1833 Widow Press is witness of marriage of Thomas Jones and Catharine Lack both of Strangford
12th October 1834, John Barnet of Strangford and Mary Jane Press also of Strangford by licence by me Chas [Charles] Wolsley. In the presence of Wm [William Ardiss], James Smyth, Robert Middleman
15th March 1837, Edward Press and Elizabeth Beatty both of Strangford by licence by me Wm [William] Brownlow Ashe.  In the presence of George Press, Robert Middleman vestry clerk.

Offline Borrberw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 December 13 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Burials for Press family in Ballyculter register from 1812 - 1900

14th June 1814, Widow Ann Press of Castleward
24th January 1821, William Press Strangford, son of Thomas Press
19th March 1825, Catharine Press Castleward
1st July 1832, James Press aged 64 years from Englishtown
22nd February 1833. William Press aged 48 years from Raholp
2nd October 1834, Catharine Ann Press aged 18 of Ballyculter
26th May 1841, Elizabeth Prefs [Press], Ballyculter aged 51
20th November 1843, Anne Press, Strangford aged 76
24th June 1845, Thomas Prefs [Press], Strangford aged 80
15th September 1846, Anne Prefs [Press], Churchtown aged 24
31st January 1848, Michael Prefs [Press], Ballyculter aged 64
12th April 1848, Michael Prefs [Press] , Castleward aged 88
25th February 1854, William Press, Castleward aged 68
30th August 1854, George Prefs [Press], Churchtown aged 75/73?
25th October 1855, Charles Press, Portaferry parish of Ballyphilip aged 55
24th April 1856, Maria Prefs [Press], Green Row, Castleward aged 23
12th October 1856, Jane Prefs [Press], Almshouses, Ballyculter aged 67
24th May 1858, Elizabeth Prefs [Press], Strangford, aged 62
8th July 1858, Kitty Prefs [Press], Green Row, Castleward aged 57
5th February 1864, Jane Prefs [Press], Ballyculter aged 87
15th February 1864, Edward Prefs [Press], Ballyregan Saul Parish aged 69
18th November 1870, Catherine Anne Prefs [Press], Green Row aged 5
14th December 1871, William Press, Castleward aged 16
10th March 1874, Harriett Press, Castleward, aged 4
?/?/1881, Jane Press, Ballyculter
28th December 1892, John Press, Belfast aged 75

Hope this helps

Offline Ian Sumpter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 December 13 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Tremendous data, Borrberw!  Any help on finding information on Michael and Catherine Press birthdates/places or descendants would be greatly appreciated.  This is the earliest link to our Press family.

Again, many thanx for your time and efforts.
cheers,
Ian

Offline bally2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Borrberw,
Do you have access to other records for Castleward/Ballyculter Church? If so could I trouble you for a lookup? I am looking for any Moores from Ballyculter. There is a headstone in the church cemetery which I have a record of. I am also looking the marriage record for George Moore (b.1796 d.1876). I know George's children but am trying to find out his background. I have wondered if he worked for the Ward family. Some of his children were listed as born Audleystown and some Castleward.

Thanks so much.

Offline Borrberw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
George Moore of Castleward
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 20:22 GMT (UK) »
In reply to Bally2

I cannot find George's own baptism record at Ballyculter.  But there are other children born around this time (1796) to a George and Sarah Moore, could these be your George's parents?  His death is recorded in Ballyculter as follows:-
3rd October 1876, George Moore Englishtown Ballyculter aged 80, Joseph Watson.

Moreover, George Moore (snr) is a character I have been following for some time.  His signature appears on several land leases belonging to my own family. Which would support your theory that he worked for Viscount Bangor. I think he may have been Viscount Bangor's land agent. I have map showing his holdings in 1835.  The church records are interesting when they show one child born in 1832 at Castleward and the next is born in Audleystown in 1838.  Matthew Orr of Audleystown quit his lease to go to USA in 1835. On the freeholder records and Mathew's lease George Moore was one of the lease lives.  I think the Moore child born in 1838 at Audleystown was born in Mathew Orrs house. I have located the ruins of this property from a family story that was passed down in the late 1800s.

I have looked through the marriage records of Ballyculter and cannot find a marriage for George pre 1832.  Do you know when the eldest child was born?

Hope this helps.

Offline Borrberw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 20:34 GMT (UK) »
For Ian Sumpter

The Vestry minutes begin in 1814. Looks like they had a bit of a shake up that year. On the 20th June 1814 the vestry "for the purpose of ascertaining each Person title to his Pew".

However of interest to yourself is Pew no 2 shared by
James Coates Englishtown, Michael Press Ballyculter, Michael Press Castleward and Francis Alsop of Englishtown.