Author Topic: Wilkie in Maxton and London  (Read 2159 times)

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Wilkie in Maxton and London
« on: Monday 13 June 05 20:57 BST (UK) »
Looking for more information about the descendants of Thomas Wilkie b 26 Apr 1741 Maxton and Margaret Landreth b unknown m 18 Feb 1752 in Maxton.  He was a blacksmith and this trade has continued, I think,  into the 3rd or 4th generation. 

I have found a William Wilkie, smithing in Maxton and Muirhouselaw in 1841 and 1851.  His sons Andrew and James were also smiths in 1841 and moved to Earlston by 1851.  I think this William is a grandson of Thomas but I can't make that connection.  Maybe someone else could help?

I am descended from another son of Thomas and Margaret - John Wilkie who married Isobella Ker 1 Jun 1787 in Edinburgh.   He was an 'indweller of the parish of Maxton' and she was the daughter of  'the late John Ker, Exciseman' but who was he and where did he come from? 

Their first 2 children at least, Thomas and John, were born in Maxton and John certainly married in Maxton.  Another son, George, was born 27 Dec 1795 and a daughter, Isabella, 31 Mar 1799 both in St Dunstans, W London.  How did they get there?

Any help gratefully appreciated - Cheers
Armstrong and Cotter (Co. Cork),  Cooper and Davidson (Aberdeenshire), Cosgrove (Co. Down/Co. Longford),
Cotter (London/Cornwall), Ker (Edinburgh/Roxburgh), Martyn (Cornwall), Orpen/Palmer (Co. Kerry), Pryn (Cornwall), Garnett/Radcliff (Co. Meath),
Wilkie (Roxburgh)

Offline Margaret B

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wilkie in Maxton and London
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 March 07 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My Wilkie ancestors came from Bowden, about 4 miles from Maxton. If you think there could be a link I'll send you the details.
Best Wishes
Margaret

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 June 07 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Margaret

There's always a possibility of a link ... did the names ring any bells?
rosneathatntlworlddotcom

Thanks

Isabel
Armstrong and Cotter (Co. Cork),  Cooper and Davidson (Aberdeenshire), Cosgrove (Co. Down/Co. Longford),
Cotter (London/Cornwall), Ker (Edinburgh/Roxburgh), Martyn (Cornwall), Orpen/Palmer (Co. Kerry), Pryn (Cornwall), Garnett/Radcliff (Co. Meath),
Wilkie (Roxburgh)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 July 09 20:00 BST (UK) »
When my 4 x great-grandparents James Wight and Isobel Thomson were married in Maxton parish in 1765, James Wilkie, smith in Longnewton, was cautioner for the bridegroom.

There were lots of Wilkies in the area, mostly blacksmiths as you say. Thomas Wilkie, smith in Maxton, married Margaret Landreth in St. Boswells in 1752.

In 1736, John Wilkie, tenant in Maxton, and Margaret Richardson, indweller there, were married at Maxton. I'm not sure if she was related to my 4 x great-grandfather Robert Richardson, smith at Rutherford Whitelaw and elder of Maxton church.

Once many years ago I went through the Maxton kirk-session records and copied stuff out. In 1778 Thomas Wilkie is mentioned as "late elder and treasurer". His eldest son is John Wilkie. George Wilkie is "precentor", i.e. the man who led the psalm-singing in the days before church organs were allowed  in the C. of S.

In 1782 there's a mention of "John Wilkie Smith in Maxton ... and his Brother George Wilkie Smith in Maxton".

Harry