Author Topic: Cotter - Youghal, East Cork  (Read 5118 times)

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Cotter - Youghal, East Cork
« on: Monday 13 June 05 21:23 BST (UK) »
According to family folklore, Major Cotter was executed in Youghal as a rebel in the 1798 uprising.  His infant son b Youghal 1798 was spirited out of Ireland and brought up in London. 

This son always believed his name was Edward but found later that it was not - what it truly was, we don't know but suspect it was Edmund.  And therefore that his father might have had the same name.  There is an Edmund Cotter in a late 18th C census of Youghal - I wonder if this could be the right person.

Know quite a lot about Edward, his marriage and family in England but nothing about the Irish bit.  Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

Armstrong and Cotter (Co. Cork),  Cooper and Davidson (Aberdeenshire), Cosgrove (Co. Down/Co. Longford),
Cotter (London/Cornwall), Ker (Edinburgh/Roxburgh), Martyn (Cornwall), Orpen/Palmer (Co. Kerry), Pryn (Cornwall), Garnett/Radcliff (Co. Meath),
Wilkie (Roxburgh)

Offline Kieran Groeger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cotter - Youghal, East Cork
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 November 18 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
Patrick C. Power had a book called "the Courts Martial of 1798" - sorry but your person is not listed in it. That does not mean it is not true - he could have been killed abut not formally executed after a trial. All the courts martial papers are in the National Archives in Dublin.

In some cases people were savagely whipped - there are few records of this activity.
There is also a book "the Annals of Youghal" - there are only four executions mentioned for 1798 in Youghal.

I rarely disregard family history - there is always a story or some truth to the story. Have you looked at Church records?  they are now on line. Was he Catholic ? What rank might he have had in the regiment ? Why was he smuggled out? What happened to his wife? Is it possible there is another version of the story? Any idea of his age? Address ? Was he from Youghal or just stationed there?

Kieran Groeger

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 13:04 GMT (UK) »
find my past

M Cotter baptism in 27.12.1796 dad Robert mum Ellen Riordan

http://www.findmypast.co.uk

if he was a Major he might have been people of money there was a Sir Cotter a few years early.
Major Cotter might be one of the forgotten men.

You could always write to one of the local papers in Cork asking for help.

Offline Kieran Groeger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 13:12 GMT (UK) »
There was a Sir James Cotter,  wrongly hanged  in 1720 for rape, I have written a book about him, (available on Kindle, Amazon etc.)  I am fairly sure it is not that branch of the family, but then again I could be right. That James Cotter had two sons who changed religion.

I am intrigued by the "Major" title, and will check it out a little more. I suspect he was based in Youghal but not from the town - his death would surely have been noted.

Kieran

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 July 23 15:54 BST (UK) »
It's funny how research carries on and never really gets solved!  More info comes to light and dashes previously held beliefs!!

As it turns out the name of the father of Edward Cotter mentioned in my first post has been identified as Edmund Cotter.  So Major Edmund Cotter.

A cousin and I have been researching James Cotter the Younger who Kieran refers to.  The one who  was hanged for rape in 1720 or rather, for being his father's son.

James had two sons, James and Edmund.  Taken by 'the authorities' (the English?) and brought up as Protestants.  Son James clearly remained Protestant and was made a baronet in 1753 - Sir James Cotter of Rockforest.  This line continues to this day.

There isn't so much information about the son Edmund except that he married a Miss O'Brien of Co Clare and had two sons, George and Edmund.  These two sons are referred to in Burke and other sources as Captain George and Major Edmund.

There is a George Cotter who pops up in the London Gazette with various promotions in Irish Foot Regiments between 1775 and 1782.  He retired from the Army as a Captain in 1782.  This is probably 'Captain George'.  He is therefore likely to have remained Protestant.

However there is no equivalent information for Major Edmund so if he didn't serve in the British Army, did he serve abroad, or even in the corps of the United Irishmen?!  Did he perhaps keep up the Catholic equality/Irish freedom fight that his grandfather died for?
Armstrong and Cotter (Co. Cork),  Cooper and Davidson (Aberdeenshire), Cosgrove (Co. Down/Co. Longford),
Cotter (London/Cornwall), Ker (Edinburgh/Roxburgh), Martyn (Cornwall), Orpen/Palmer (Co. Kerry), Pryn (Cornwall), Garnett/Radcliff (Co. Meath),
Wilkie (Roxburgh)