Author Topic: Rose McDunn/McDonald abt 1812 in Westmeath County  (Read 9468 times)

Offline MMCADEN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rose McDunn/McDonald abt 1812 in Westmeath County
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 April 19 17:58 BST (UK) »
Wow!! I've been busy and didn't have the time to take a look here for a VERY long time!! :) Thats really interresting!!!! :)

Here are some stats from the PR, and HDST above, that may help you in your research.

The father, Patrick Muckedon, on the HDST is born at Winetown Westmeath Co Ireland in 1782, and age 60, dies in 1842. His wife Anne Dealey is born 1794, dies, age 48, in 1832.

The wife of William Muckedon, Catherine Duffey, is born 1812, and, age 46, dies in 1858.
There has been some controversy about her DOD because the HDST appears to show 1838. Well, that is clearly not correct because we know from the PBR she bears two children after that date. Too, her life years are consistent with what we should expect from the life years of her in-laws, Patrick and Anne Muckedon.

Worth mention, the Parish records up until the 1830s are written in Latin, not English. And it does not help that the community is yet Gaelic speaking, not English.

Now, your family record, as set out in the US McDunn book shows Thomas born Nov 1825, of Patrick McCudden and Mary O'Donnell. Need now to find a BR for Patrick McCudden, unless I am misreading the data. Certainly he should show up in the BR sometime close to, or after 1814, because Anne Dealey was just then 20 years old. But she could have conceived as early as 1810, 16 years old.

Although reading the following generations of the Muckedon family it is interesting that only one of them chose to modernize their family name as Patrick McCudden did, and at such a early date. Perhaps it is adopted from Church practice where this spelling is chosen by authors instead of that reported them by respondents?

Later as they begin to write down what is reported them there arises a lot of variety. My research clearly shows considerable confusion there, some adopting very odd translations of Muckedon on vital stats, B M D, e.g McKedon, Mochadan, Muketin etc. Indeed officials appear to have accepted offered names rather than, as earlier, guessing them from their own experience. So we have dozens of different English spellings of it. But by far the most common is McAden, which is the same as that adopted in Scotland by the root family.

Indeed it is precisely because of the form of the original name that we know the Westmeath Muckedon originated in Scotland, and not, as the worthy Latin scholar PPs, their Curates, assumed, Armagh Co., Ireland . 

Too, since there are now DNA matches across these families, there is no need for a records proof of kinship.

Finally attached a PBR 1823, Russagh & Rathaspic, Co Wesmeath, Ireland, where Rose McCudden is listed as a sponsor at a Baptism. This is the only one I can find in that records book. I have not looked in the next series but you may if you wish.

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0176

I hope that helps you with your research.
Interested in the US-McDUNN / MCADEN / MCADDEN / MUCKEDON family history,and variants Westmeath Co. Ireland.  Have read parts of John McDunn's scholarly work on the US-McDunn descendants of Patrick Muckedon of Winetown Co. Westmeath, Ireland.

Offline gestrich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 05 September 19 11:09 BST (UK) »
Can you tell me the location of the headstone that was posted? In Ireland? I'd love to visit it as I am in Ireland the next 48 hours.

Offline MMCADEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 05 September 19 15:19 BST (UK) »
Can you tell me the location of the headstone that was posted? In Ireland? I'd love to visit it as I am in Ireland the next 48 hours.
Certainly.

From Dublin - assuming you are there. Head for Mullingar  so - take the M4 heading N.W.  At Kinnegad turn to the right onto the N4, continuing a N.W. heading. You should bypass Mullingar and continue on N.W. on the N4.

Your target, next turn off of the N4, is a couple of miles before the village of Rathowen.

On your RHS, behind some trees is the stone Church of St Mary's, and next to its front gate is a road going N.E;  on the sign post on the N4 it may indicate "Street". Turning to the right, you do not need to drive very far along this lane, as on your LHS is the old Cemetery where stands the Headstone. If you cannot find the Cemetery, just go ask a local where it is. If desperate you may have to knock on some doors to find help. BTW For some time the HDST has been maintained by an Argentine family.

Interested in the US-McDUNN / MCADEN / MCADDEN / MUCKEDON family history,and variants Westmeath Co. Ireland.  Have read parts of John McDunn's scholarly work on the US-McDunn descendants of Patrick Muckedon of Winetown Co. Westmeath, Ireland.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 05 September 19 15:53 BST (UK) »
This might help.

https://www.townlands.ie/westmeath/moygoish/russagh/rathowen/barratogher/
Follow the L1927 to Street
https://tinyurl.com/y5cf7ltc

KG

Added: Welcome to RootsChat, gestrich   :)

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline gestrich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 05 September 19 22:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the detailed information. I visited the area just before I got your message -- exploring what is near Winetown. Tomorrow I may try to make another visit but not sure.

I too am a descendant of the McDunn's that moved to Cambria County in Pennsylvania and am part of  a family that lives just an hour away from that area.

Offline MMCADEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 06 September 19 02:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the detailed information. I visited the area just before I got your message -- exploring what is near Winetown. Tomorrow I may try to make another visit but not sure.

I too am a descendant of the McDunn's that moved to Cambria County in Pennsylvania and am part of  a family that lives just an hour away from that area.

Thank you for the update.

Once located you will find the HDST about the middle of the Cemetery. 

Welcome to RC.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 06 September 19 09:03 BST (UK) »

You're very welcome  ;D

Hope that you are able to visit the grave in the church graveyard.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline gestrich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 06 September 19 18:52 BST (UK) »
I made it to the cemetery. The directions were perfect. We found the headstone along with a few of others of interest.

Offline gestrich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 06 September 19 18:58 BST (UK) »
"Lord have mercy on the soul of Patrick Muckedon Late of Winetown, who Departed this life August the 1st of A.D. 1818, aged 59 years. Also, his wife Rose Muckedon alias Murtaugh Departed 29th August 185? age 86 years. Erected by their Son Patrick Muckedon"