Author Topic: Rose McDunn/McDonald abt 1812 in Westmeath County  (Read 9452 times)

Offline Mary Geraci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Rose McDunn/McDonald abt 1812 in Westmeath County
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 July 15 02:28 BST (UK) »
I need your email address better yet, mailing address. I spent an hour giving you info and lost it all.

Offline Mary Geraci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 July 15 02:39 BST (UK) »
Very interesting. Which parishes?
Right now I can't direct you to a Rose McDunn in Canada, that has not been my focus. I have been aware of a McDunn woman who married a Levesque in Canada. There has been that presence in Canada for a very long time. Going back to McDunns in Ireland, I have been able to trace the name back to 1623+\-. That McDunn looked as though he was a gamekeeper and he appeared in that year's census. As to McDunn in US, there was a James in Baltimore,MD in1777. There are McDunns living in northern NY in 1795 and early 1800s. I suspect they were British loyalists who fled to Canada intending to return after the British won the Rev War. They probably lost their holdings in the US and decided to remain in Canada. I'll give you some counties or parishes: Fermanagh, dummiller, terribuske,derryvollan?,maghery cross, Ennis mcsaint. Sorry, I wrote that a long time ago and I'm sure I've screwed up along the way.
Please catch me on Facebook.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 July 15 10:25 BST (UK) »
My family name is mcdunn, my earliest ancestor was Patrick mcdunn married to Mary O'Donnel both from W Meath Ire. Pat born 1799, Mary 1805., nine children born in or near Wilmore, Pa. Pat and Mary were married 1\30\1825 Russagh Parish. A firm was hired to do research which came up with variations of the family name as follows: Muckatin, Mucaden. The family homestead was located in Cambria County Pennsylvania. First names of Patrick, Mary, and rose appear frequently in the family history. Please go to "  Good luck! I am on rootschat if I can be of further help.

Posted on behalf of Mary who had sent the above message to RootsChat Technical help :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Denis Savard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 July 15 14:05 BST (UK) »
Mary, you can reach me at address removed by moderator

I wonder if Rose came over into the US with her (presumed) brother Pat (assuming you don't know Pat's parents). Rose is the one who married François Levesque in Sainte-Catherine-de-la-Jacques-Cartier in 1834. There is an Irish community there at the time. Still many Irish headstone in the cemetery, but no McDunns.

In earlier threads, she is said to be form co. Sligo, but I was never able to trace that in primary records, it was just in hand-me-down trees. Her marriage records states clearly she was from Westmeath. But with no town or parish to hang you hat on...

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 July 15 10:31 BST (UK) »
You can safely exchange sensitive information by using the private message (PM) function, just click on the round icon below the posters profile name.

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MelissaSue84

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 February 17 04:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I know this is an old post but thought I may be able to offer some info since I am researching the same family. I'm also a descendant of Patrick McDunn and Mary O'Donnel . They were my great-great great-grandparents.  What I know is Patrick was born in Westmeath in 1799 to Patrick McCudden and Ann Dealy. McDunn is American and the story goes that a judge told a patrick that no one would be able to pronounce his name let alone spell it, so it was changed to McDunn when they came here (PA) around 1826. Patrick and Mary were married in Rathaspick and Russagh in 1825 and also had their first son Thomas baptized there in Nov 1825. I have this info in my family tree book but I also found a photo copy of the original baptismal and marriage records online. When Thomas was baptized, it says sp. Francis and Rose McCudden. I believe that means they were godparents. I will post a couple links of what I've found

Offline MelissaSue84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 February 17 04:12 GMT (UK) »
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632450#page/12/mode/1up

Thomas was baptized the 17th of November 1825. I tried to post a screen shot but my file was too large

Offline MMCADEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 21 April 19 08:10 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I know this is an old post but thought I may be able to offer some info since I am researching the same family. I'm also a descendant of Patrick McDunn and Mary O'Donnel . They were my great-great great-grandparents.  What I know is Patrick was born in Westmeath in 1799 to Patrick McCudden and Ann Dealy. McDunn is American and the story goes that a judge told a patrick that no one would be able to pronounce his name let alone spell it, so it was changed to McDunn when they came here (PA) around 1826. Patrick and Mary were married in Rathaspick and Russagh in 1825 and also had their first son Thomas baptized there in Nov 1825. I have this info in my family tree book but I also found a photo copy of the original baptismal and marriage records online. When Thomas was baptized, it says sp. Francis and Rose McCudden. I believe that means they were godparents. I will post a couple links of what I've found

This is an old thread, and the post information on the topic.
Attached images may help folks get a better idea of the history.

Interested in the US-McDUNN / MCADEN / MCADDEN / MUCKEDON family history,and variants Westmeath Co. Ireland.  Have read parts of John McDunn's scholarly work on the US-McDunn descendants of Patrick Muckedon of Winetown Co. Westmeath, Ireland.

Offline nynie86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 21 April 19 17:14 BST (UK) »
Wow!! I've been busy and didn't have the time to take a look here for a VERY long time!! :) Thats really interresting!!!! :)