Author Topic: PEDEN Hugh b.1628 Scotland d. Antrim (Ballymena?)  (Read 13916 times)

Offline jason mac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PEDEN Hugh b.1628 Scotland d. Antrim (Ballymena?)
« Reply #45 on: Friday 28 January 22 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Sorry forgot to say, the only other trace of Thomas Snoddy and Jane Agnew I have uncovered so far is the baptism of their son Thomas on 4th April 1824 in Carnmoney Church of Ireland.

Another point of interest, images of  transcriptions of the Ballylinny Presbyterian registers are also available on the family search website.  Images of transcriptions for Carnmoney Church of Ireland registers for births/marriages are also available, although I am unsure who made the Carnmoney transcriptions.  There are a number of Lynn marriages and baptisms in the Carnmoney COI records.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 28 January 22 21:23 GMT (UK) »
 I have found my way to the LDS film that includes the registers and as you say they do not appear to be the originals but a transcription.

I can see the 1835 marriage of William Lynn and Jemima Courtney and it does not include the parents noted by my cousin who I am sure looked at the original registers. (Possibly still at the Templepatrick Pres Church). And yes the Snoddy/Lynn marriage is on the same page in the film (page 535 of film 7811668).

I also found the 1833 baptism for my 2x gt grandfather John  Graham which has always puzzled me as the certificate I got from the Templepatrick church in 1984 was for 1831, which is consistent for him appearing in the 1831 census. I am sure if John had also  been baptised in 1833 on the exact same day and month, I would have been informed.

By the way McKinney also took entries from Carnmoney Church so these could be his transcriptions.
Cheers

Linda

Offline jason mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 13 February 22 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Okay so managed to track down the details of the family of Matthew Snoddy and Frances Lynn in Scotland.  The family didn't disappear after the death of Matthew, they used the surname Sneddon rather than Snoddy. 

Their son James used the surname Sneddon when he married Jane Witherspoon in 1870 at Old Monkland.  On his marriage record his father is stated as Matthew Sneddon, a linen lapper and his mother as Frances Wylie.

William Snoddy used the surname Snedden when he married Helen McAlister in 1873 at Partick.  On his marriage record his father is stated as William Snedden a cloth lapper and his mother as Frances Wylie.

In the 1881 Scottish census Frances Sneddon 60 and Agnes Sneddon 25 are resident in the household of William Sneddon 37 and Helen Sneddon 31 at Govan.  There are no children in the household.

Death of Frances Sneddon on 23/07/1900 at the Poorhouse in Paisley.  Age stated as 80, widow of Matthew Sneddon, a linen lapper.  Father stated as James Wylie, deceased and Frances Wylie maiden name Lynn, also deceased.

And a little bit more from the USA.  James Snoddy son of Thomas Snoddy and Jane Agnew used the surname Snedden at his marriage in Philadelphia.  His witness was Hugh Wiley.  At Hugh Wiley's wedding in the same church in Philadelphia his witness was James Snedden.  Hugh Wiley's first child was named Frances Wiley, the second child Agnes.  At a guess Hugh Wiley is Hugh Wiley Snoddy but for some reason dropped his Snoddy surname.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 14 February 22 03:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi jason

Thank you for  the additional information. I have removed Fanny as sister of my 3x gt grandfather William Lynn. (Whose Kilgreel farm was on the Lowtown Rd on the corner of which the "new" Templeptatrick Church was built in 1831).

But it is looking like it is possible that Fanny Lynn who married Matthew Snoddy, was in fact Fanny Scott Wiley, daughter of James.

Hugh Wiley's daughter Fanny Scott Wiley born 1808 and died 1811. So a second Fanny Scott Wiley daughter of James could mean that James was a brother of Hugh Wiley.

I am wondering if the 2nd Fanny Scott Wiley was living with the Wiley family @ Ballycushon Templepatrick in 1831.Maybe this bit was not transcribed by Emerald Isles as it was too hard to read?

And maybe Fanny is the Fanny Scott noted in Hughes Will of 1828/9. Fanny Scott was listed after Hugh's daughters Nancy, Ellen, Isabella and Mary (my 3x gt grandmother). (All daughters but Nancy were married before 1828. Nancy married in 1829)

There was an Elizabeth Wiley listed with Mary in the header row of the Will transcription. I would need to check with Gilby to see what he knows about Elizabeth. If Elizabeth was widow of James Wiley, and Fanny Scott Wiley was her daughter then that would be one explanation.

Again an actual viewing of the Templepatrick Parish marriage records rather than a McKinney transcript, should confirm Fanny's maiden name and the name of her father. Also her address. Not to mention witnesses.

I am a little far away to arrange that for myself but am very interested to find out, should either you or Gilby get to PRONI sometime.  Either way, Fanny remains a person of interest.

Offline jason mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 14 February 22 23:21 GMT (UK) »
I suspect your original tree was correct.  Remember there were 9 baptisms in Templepatrick - 8 gave the mothers maiden name as Lynn.  When her husband registered the children's births in Scotland he used Lynn as her maiden name.  It is only when the children come to register births/deaths/marriages that Wylie starts to appear as the maiden name.  I would also be skeptical about the details on the death registration.  It was completed by the clerk in the poor house most likely from details provided by one of the children.  I can only reiterate in my experience the information contained on the Scottish death registrations for those born in Ireland is often wrong.

Is it not more likely Frances Lynn is the granddaughter of Hugh Wylie?  Is it possible William Lynn's wife was a Wylie?

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jason

I think we have Hugh Wiley's children all accounted for unless there was another Frances Scott Wiley born after 1811. All the daughters we know about were named in his Will plus Frances Scott. The oldest daughter was probably Agnes/Nancy named after Hugh's mother and probably born in the late 1790s (no baptism in Templepatrick). My 3x gt grandmother Mary Wiley is presumably the Mary baptised 1799, then Eleanor bap 1801, Isabella bapt 1803, Ezekiel 1805, and Fanny Scott 1808.

We do not know the maiden name of their mother Mary who died in her 84th yr on 24 Nov 1848. So Mary was born c1765 and could possibly have had another child after 1811. So a second Fanny Scott in this family is not impossible, but I would expect to have seen another baptism.

William Lynn born c1815 married Jemima Courtney in 1835. His father William was married to a Sarah but I do not know her maiden name.  Sarah could have been a Wiley though there is nothing to suggest this.

I am more comfortable leaving Fanny in a different family from William Lynn for now but will reinstated her maiden name to Lynn.

Cheers

Linda

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 10:00 GMT (UK) »
While updating Frances again, I also updated Matthew's parents to Thomas Snoddy and Jane Agnew.

Yes there are a few Agnews around. My 2x gt Aunt Jane Wiley Graham b 1837 married a James Agnew b c 1828, carpenter of Templepatrick, son of John Agnew, another carpenter. I suspect the Margaret Barron who was a witness was Jane's cousin, daughter of Eleanor Wiley and John Barron.

James sister Mary Agnew, married Arthur Skelton Courtney of my Templepatrick Courtney family.

I haven't looked further back in this Agnew family but James and his family were buried at Donegore which suggests there might be an earlier family connection in that parish as by that time the family were living in Belfast.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Good finds again Jason Mac.  I think I need to write out chronological list of all references to Fanny’s name to decide what I think.

In the meantime, I just have time to say the “Elizabeth Wiley” listed as an executor for Hugh Wiley in 1832 is a clerical error for “Ezekiel Wiley”.  This is shown by this will book which names the executors “Mary & Ezekiel Wiley”, so his widow and son:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=IRE%2FDIOC%2F007246596%2F00870&parentid=IRE%2FDIOC%2FWILL%2F00383389

Offline jason mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 04 July 22 20:31 BST (UK) »
Okay, a wee update.  Managed to get to PRONI to check out Templepatrick census and baptismal/marriage registers. 

Marriage register confirms the parents of Matthew Snoddy were Thomas Snoddy and Jane Agnew.  His residence was Cottonmount.  For Fanny Lynn, only the father's name is stated - John Agnew.  Her residence is stated as Ballycushin.  The witnesses at the marriage were E.D. Wiley and possibly Nathaniel William Campbell.  Residence for Snoddy/Lynn family at various baptisms varies between Cottonmount/Craigarogan/Mallusk.

There are no further details in the Templepatrick census of 1831 regarding the family of Ezekiel Wiley that differ from what was previously mentioned on this thread.  However I did find yet another Fanny Lynn.  The 1857 Templepatrick census has a John Lemon living at Cottonmount, wife Fanny Lynn and the following children - Elizabeth, William, Agnes, Maragaret, John and James.