Author Topic: William Louis Leslie EVANS of Melbourne, c 1880  (Read 6991 times)

Offline Kate Walker

• RootsChat Extra
  • From Orkney to Tasmania
    • View Profile
Re: William Louis Leslie EVANS of Melbourne, c 1880
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 11:41 BST (UK) »
Wow - I never expected to wake up to so many (or any) replies! Thank you, everyone, for reading and responding.
I can't tell you how exciting this is - it has been a family mystery for years.

And if I can help at all with research at this end, please do let me know.

So,  in answer to the questions:

Leanne: Yes, Elsie's married name was first Chandler, then Blore.

Merlin, I don't know her mother (Margaret)'s maiden name though I had wondered whether it might have been Eugene.... (A family member suggested that Elsie might have worked under the stage name of Eugene but that might just be guesswork). But I think that you may all have put paid to that theory! And re Melbourne: 1901 Census gives her birth place as Melbourne.

Re the details from the marriage certificates: on the Chandler marriage (Lambeth 29 Nov 1901) both parties are shown as living at 27 Holland Road, North Brixton; Elsie's age is 21 years (spinster) and her father is William Louis Leslie Evans (deceased) profession or rank  Coach Builder (Master). On the Blore marriage (Eastbourne, 4 April 1916) she is shown as a widow, aged 36, and her father's name is shown as William Louis Leslie Evans, and rank or profession is Gentleman Deceased.

Sue, Debra:  Olga was Elsie's daughter, born in St Petersburg when Elsie was quite young, so I think for 'social' reasons she was listed as Margaret's daughter. She was visiting her mother, with her Russian nurse, in 1901, and didn't come to live in England until she came to school in Eastbourne in about 1913 or so.

Debra: just read your last - that looks like a fit - thank you very much; that's got me through the biggest and longest-lasting brick wall.

Rootschat is amazing. Anything I can do to help anyone at all...?

Thank you all again - Kate

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 13:22 BST (UK) »
You're very welcome Kate!

You may not be aware that death certificates in Victoria contain much more information than those in UK.  This is the information requested by the registrar for a death certificate:
Deaths
    Date and place of death;
     name and surname;
     occupation of the deceased;
     sex and age;
     cause of death,
     duration of illness,
     medical attendant by whom certified and when he last saw deceased;
     name and surname of parents (if known) including mother's maiden surname        signature, description and address of the person who gave the information;  signature of deputy registrar, date and where registered,
     when and where buried,
     undertaker whom certified;
     name and religion of Minister, or names of witnesses of burial;
     place of birth of the deceased and how long he or she resided in the Australian colonies or states (stating which),
     name of spouse,
     place of marriage,
     age at marriage;
     names and ages of children of the deceased.

Obviously what  is on the certificate is very dependent on the informant's knowledge of the deceased, so may not be at all accurate.

You can download the image from the register for about $AU20.  In the case of William L L EVANS the certificate should confirm whether it's the right man and should have information about his parents, spouse and child/ren.

You'll need the registration number which Debra has given.

https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search?action=purchaseImage

Good luck with it.

Judith[/list]
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 15:43 BST (UK) »
Given a death for William L L Evans in 1892, possibly of interest

http://prov.vic.gov.au/index_search?searchid=42
leaving Victoria Feb 1893, on the Hohenzollern, via Adelaide and on to Bremen:
Martha Evans, 34
Elsie, 10
Reggie, 2
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kate Walker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 16:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Jorose, that's given me a whole new line of enquiry.

I got the death certificate - lots of 'unknown's with regards family which suggests that he died away from family, possibly living apart from his wife; but it did tell me that he was born in England, and this time is shown as a painter and wheelwright (a bit like a coach maker perhaps?).
Now waiting for the marriage records to arrive, to see if they show more information.

Many thanks to all -
Kate :) :)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 08 August 13 01:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate,

Did the death cert give his middle names or just "L.L."?  Who was the informant?

Debra  :)

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 08 August 13 09:06 BST (UK) »
This birth may possibly assist in eliminating the departure found by jorose in Reply #20 :-\

EVANS Regd Percy
Father Francis
Mother Martha EAST
Place WARRNAMBOOL
Year 1891
Reg. 28576

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kate Walker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 08 August 13 12:12 BST (UK) »
No, just the initials were given (so still a question mark over whether this is our guy); the informant was ?'constable attending inquiry'. I've attached this on the off chance that someone can read more into this than I can.

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 08 August 13 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate,
Having looked at the certificate, I agree with what you say in your reply # 21.
This does seem to be for the death of a man about whom little is known and it could well apply to your chap. I believe it is the correct man.

"constable attending the inquiry" is what I read in the informant column ,together with his name and other details.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 09 August 13 02:05 BST (UK) »
??? ???

NSW Marriage

1722/1875
EVANS, WILLIAM L L
MORSE, MARGARET H
Registered at ALBURY

Death in Victoria

Wm L L EVANS
Died: Tungamah, Victoria
# 4395

Debra  :)

These events occurred 115kms apart and the marriage was registered in the Albury district NSW and death in Vic.     Margaret stated she was born Tasmania c1858 on the 1901 census.  There is a MORSE family having chn in that era in Tasmania but not a Margaret.  Of course it is possible she changed her given name or her birth was not registered or she may have been older than her age on the 1901 census.  If I was researching this family I would be tempted to purchase a transcription of the marriage certificate if only to eliminate these persons from your research.  Cost AUD$20.  You can purchase online and the transcript is emailed to you.
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/bdm_fh.html 
Scroll to the bottom of the page for the details of three accredited transcription agents.

Info on NSW certs detailed here
http://www.jaunay.com/bdm.html

Cheers  :)
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk